Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
I really, really hope the romances have matured a little since previous titles in the genre and aren't just a cut and dry 'pick-the-obvious-flirt-line-with-guaranteed-succes.

Agreed. From some stuff Larian said on the PFH day, they have at least tried to do something with representing relationships that can grow in different ways, peter out, crash and burn, change, and generally feel a bit more real than we might have seen in some other RPGs. I'm interested to see what they have done but, given how hard I think it would be to do something really good, don't have very high expectations. Though I'm secretly hoping they'll be exceeded!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Vitani #867321 21/07/23 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Vitani
And can we please finally leave the bear alone? At this rate it will be considered the youth word of the year cryicon

Fair enough. Maybe Jaheira will use wolf form.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Things!

Yeah, it's a bit of both, I suspect. I mean, the Astarion route seems really obvious and on the nose... A little too much on the 50 shades of handsome badboy that will come for you no matter what becaue you;re so hard to resist. Yuck. Astarion will die *so* many times. Uh. Well. I'm not the target audience, I suppose. laugh

But. This has been in the making a *long* time, by people that know what they're doing. I have a lot of faith in them... But at the same time, I'm really sceptical.

Originally Posted by Boblawblah
in theory I get your point, but the reality is it's a program. It's either going to be a very specific series of actions that lead to the same outcome, which if vague enough seems arbitrary and stupid, or worse, it's RNG. Either way it doesn't feel good.

Yeah, I get ya. Thing I'm most hoping to see is... That it's not a blatant 'Everyone wants the protagonist, regardless of who he is'; Like Commander Shepard succeeding at everything and getting in eveyone's pants whether he's Darth Vader or Captain Picard. Truth be told, whilst not complex in the slightest - What I like about the classic BG series' romances, is that you can actually fail at them by just saying the wrong thing, or not looking out for one.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
C
addict
addict
C
From some stuff Larian said on the PFH day, they have at least tried to do something with representing relationships that can grow in different ways, peter out, crash and burn, change, and generally feel a bit more real than we might have seen in some other RPGs!
They mentioned that several times, didn't they? Swen said it, and it was mentioned in the video segments as well.

If they've actually pulled off what they described, if it feels reasonably close to natural, that would really be massive. I'm more than a little concerned it's marketing over-selling, but if they actually deliver on that? That would be a game changer (no pun intended)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kendaric
Probably no... or do you really want to have a romance with an old woman? I mean... is there a romance options for Auntie Ethel? wink
Thing is, she shouldn't be old.
Roughly 200 years passed since original trilogy. She was a young elf back then, so 100-200 years old. Now she would be 300-400, very much middle-aged elf. Elves known to live over 800 years.

veteran
veteran
Things!

Yeah, it's a bit of both, I suspect. I mean, the Astarion route seems really obvious and on the nose... A little too much on the 50 shades of handsome badboy that will come for you no matter what becaue you;re so hard to resist. Yuck. Astarion will die *so* many times. Uh. Well. I'm not the target audience, I suppose. laugh

But. This has been in the making a *long* time, by people that know what they're doing. I have a lot of faith in them... But at the same time, I'm really sceptical.

in theory I get your point, but the reality is it's a program. It's either going to be a very specific series of actions that lead to the same outcome, which if vague enough seems arbitrary and stupid, or worse, it's RNG. Either way it doesn't feel good.

Yeah, I get ya. Thing I'm most hoping to see is... That it's not a blatant 'Everyone wants the protagonist, regardless of who he is'; Like Commander Shepard succeeding at everything and getting in eveyone's pants whether he's Darth Vader or Captain Picard. Truth be told, whilst not complex in the slightest - What I like about the classic BG series' romances, is that you can actually fail at them by just saying the wrong thing, or not looking out for one.

Come on! Shepard was incredible lol

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Things!

Come on! Shepard was incredible lol

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]
"The Council put me in lockdown to keep the women off me. Didn't want problems but the situation changed. I'm Commander Shephard, Alliance Drag Queen."
God what a classic. It's been 10 years at least.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
From my perspective, Jaheira already got her romance (which if you don't mind the widow thing, and can avoid the bugs, is actually pretty good and has more content than Aerie, Viconia, or Anomen in BG2). I don't particularly see a reason for her to get another one.

Edit: also, Jaheira is a half-elf, not a full elf, so she does not have an elven lifespan. Her longevity is probably due to being a druid, I'd expect. I always placed her in her late 20's/early 30's in BG2, and it has been over 100 years since then, and half elf lifespan is only like 120, if I recall correctly.

Last edited by celestielf; 21/07/23 07:21 PM.
L
L
I would love it if Jaheira was a romance option so I could romance her in two games, but I understand why they might not choose to do that. It may simply be that the role they envisioned for her in the game is one that doesn't lend itself to a romance--if she is written as a parental figure (attempting to be an omnipresent authority figure) it could be a really bad idea to romance her.

addict
addict
Jahiera is ballpark of about 150, which even for half-elves is past geriatric and on her way to ancient. That isn't to say she isn't deserving of love, but it is to say she might break a hip if things get too vigorous.

Honestly though, Larian made it clear that there were only 2 non-origins that were full romance partners, And we've seen both Halsin and Minthara in action.

Additionally, I doubt WoTC would freely give that level of control over two of their more beloved characters and put them in a romance situation. Hell, Minsc was never romanceable in the originals either IIRC, so no doubt he is off the table. Though, maybe you could get some alone time with Boo if it turns out he was a druid all along.

Back from timeout.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Redwyrm
Originally Posted by Kendaric
Probably no... or do you really want to have a romance with an old woman? I mean... is there a romance options for Auntie Ethel? wink
Thing is, she shouldn't be old.
Roughly 200 years passed since original trilogy. She was a young elf back then, so 100-200 years old. Now she would be 300-400, very much middle-aged elf. Elves known to live over 800 years.

It's been about 120 years since Abdel became 'the last' Bhaaspawn and about 10 since he died when he was in his 130s, Jahiera was a bit older than him so I'd ballpark her in the 150s or 160s (could be more). I threw out 150 as an approximation, but no matter what, I doubt she is more than 30 years older than Abdel (not sure if someone else has an official date of birth for her).

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by benbaxter
It's been about 120 years since Abdel became 'the last' Bhaaspawn

We do not speak his name!

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Jahiera is ballpark of about 150, which even for half-elves is past geriatric and on her way to ancient. That isn't to say she isn't deserving of love, but it is to say she might break a hip if things get too vigorous.

She was still in full fighting trim in the demo I saw in Ghent, which included her in the party!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lemurion
I would love it if Jaheira was a romance option so I could romance her in two games, but I understand why they might not choose to do that. It may simply be that the role they envisioned for her in the game is one that doesn't lend itself to a romance--if she is written as a parental figure (attempting to be an omnipresent authority figure) it could be a really bad idea to romance her.
She was already a parental figure in BG2 and it didn't really stop anyone...

veteran
veteran
It's been about 120 years since Abdel became 'the last' Bhaaspawn

We do not speak his name!
Thank you, He, who shall not be named isn't real - at least to me.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Silverstar
And can we please finally leave the bear alone? At this rate it will be considered the youth word of the year cryicon

Doggy style would be a welcome departure from the constant reuse of missionary in video game sex scenes.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by celestielf
From my perspective, Jaheira already got her romance (which if you don't mind the widow thing, and can avoid the bugs, is actually pretty good and has more content than Aerie, Viconia, or Anomen in BG2). I don't particularly see a reason for her to get another one.

Edit: also, Jaheira is a half-elf, not a full elf, so she does not have an elven lifespan. Her longevity is probably due to being a druid, I'd expect. I always placed her in her late 20's/early 30's in BG2, and it has been over 100 years since then, and half elf lifespan is only like 120, if I recall correctly.

Depends on source material I think. Tanis Half-Elven was 100 (or very close) and he was just beginning middle age. I'd have to look it up for Faerun, but I think its more than 120 years.

dwig #867476 21/07/23 08:40 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by dwig
Originally Posted by Silverstar

Doggy style would be a welcome departure from the constant reuse of missionary in video game sex scenes.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

idk, I get weirded out with awkwardly animated sex scenes where they try to mimick different sex positions. Cyberpunk 2077 did it..sort of okay? But it was still awkward.

Great, now I'm picturing Astarion and a bear doing it, with the bear looking over at a mirror to watch himself. What have you done to my mind??

As long as it's just someone shapeshifted into a bear it's not at all weird apparently.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
dwig #867489 21/07/23 08:53 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by dwig

I’m playing games since 2002 and never saw a sex scene in a game, except CP2077. Lol 😂😂

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard