Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Mr. Vengecroft
This is still an issue in 2023. The game freezes every few minutes with 100% CPU usage.
I'm running Win 10 pro (latest version)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GF RTX 3060 12GB memory

I've performed the following:
3 complete reinstalls and rebooted after each uninstall/reinstall.
6 file integrity verifications.
Disabled the Steam overlay.
Disabled cloud save.
Gave the Larilauncher.exe admin rights.
Gave the bg3.exe and the bg3_dx11.exe admin rights.
Disabled mute sound when active.
Disabled Autosave.
Switching from Fake Fullscreen to Fullscreen had no effect and still froze.
No Framerate Cap enabled.

Today when I attempted to launch the game through Steam, the Larian Launcher for BG3 was completely blank and I had to use the bg3.exe launcher instead.

I'm not sure what else I can try at this point. This is my first game by Larian and I'm really enjoying Baldur's Gate III. The constant freezing issues are almost enough to cancel out that enjoyment when every few minutes everything just dead stops and rips you right out of the immersion.
This happened to me too, but I thought the cause is my windows 11 version since I had just updated.

I struggle to enjoy the game like this, especially combined with the messy camera. The freezes used to be easily over 10 seconds at first, then they became shorter.

Together with this...

and having to replay an hour since I somehow selected chromatic orb while leveling (and knowing better!). Locking me out of spell permanently, otherwise...

The only class left to try out being bugged...

Maybe that's enough Bg3 for now. Next thing I know, my save will be corrupted or something. Too bad my last party never made it to the hard fights I started this run for

Falagar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
It's Falagar, who originally posted this issue. I just checked it out today June of 2023 and I still seem to have this issue. From the couple recent posts, it seems like it's something that is just present in the game, & hopefully will get fixed. Now, I must admit, it doesn't not seem to be as 'bad' as it originally about a few years ago, but my character will still slide across the floor, & the sound is cut out. I'd say after several seconds up to 10 seconds, things go back to normal again. The pause thing with the sound cutting out even happens just sitting there in the main menu. Sometimes about 15 to 20 seconds into the menus (& I was about to change the audio, or am in the process of changing the volume settings), or just sitting in the main part of the main menu. I do hope this gets fixed before the actual release this August. Also, here's my specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor
GeForce RTX 3060
32 GB Ram

I also use a 27" LG monitor 1440P with 144 refresh rate, still same issue. I have latest drivers as well. One more thing of note, even when I have the graphic settings set to LOW, it still runs my GPU hot. Fluctuates between 77 to 81, 82 degrees. It's the only game I play that runs this hot. I'm used to around 65 - 70 degrees.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I have the same problem. 2-5 sec freeze at irregular intervals caused by 100% CPU utilization. No matter graphics quality, (fake) fullscreen or resolution. I have tried every half-baked solution that Google could offer me in a hurry, without result.

Last edited by riotboy; 04/07/23 08:13 AM.
veteran
veteran
Microsoft updates slow down your SSD by upto 1/3

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by riotboy
I have the same problem. 2-5 sec freeze at irregular intervals caused by 100% CPU utilization. No matter graphics quality, (fake) fullscreen or resolution. I have tried every half-baked solution that Google could offer me in a hurry, without result.

Do you have Shell Infrastructure Host going in your processes tab? Check it the next time you experience the freezes. Ending it manually could fix the problem.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I have the same problem, 100% ssd and the game freezes. =/ nothing fix this. I bought the game 2 days ago.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
It might be worth submitting a report to Larian support and linking to this thread to say other people seem to be having the same problem.

Hopefully this is something to do with EA that will be fixed with the full release but probably best to report now just in case.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by neprostoman

Do you have Shell Infrastructure Host going in your processes tab? Check it the next time you experience the freezes. Ending it manually could fix the problem.

This is what I've been talking about:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This process can eat up 20-30% of CPU capacity. I always shut it down before playing BG3, otherwise freezes are inevitable.

addict
addict

This process can eat up 20-30% of CPU capacity. I always shut it down before playing BG3, otherwise freezes are inevitable.

https://softwarekeep.com/help-cente...nce-host-and-why-is-it-using-high-memory

after looking around I followed the step #2 my cpu -70% memory-72% GPU-70%ish Power was very high

after following step #2 cpu is 29% Memory is 42% Gpu is 39% power is still very high

apologize step 3 Method 3: Run the System File Checker

Last edited by Doomlord; 06/07/23 05:42 AM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
Falagar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I don't have that Shell Infrastructure Host thing in my processes. It is still doing this, even after I reduced the resolution 1080p. Hope they fix this.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Falagar
I don't have that Shell Infrastructure Host thing in my processes. It is still doing this, even after I reduced the resolution 1080p. Hope they fix this.
Have you contacted larian support directly?

addict
addict

How do you shut it down?

Falagar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I actually received an email back from them and this is what they have to say. I could have sworn I tried all of these such as switching between Vulcan to DX11 vice versa, lowering graphics and framerate cap to 60fps, et cetera and it still does it. I even verified the files and it's all good. My GPU drivers are all up to snuff et cetera. But I'll look through this some more to make sure, but I just can't understand the issue. My systems should handle it, especially with an RTX 3060 and Ryzen 5 5600 6-core, 32GB ram. This was their reply to me:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game? Firewalls can cause conflicts (generally on startup or loading screens) and overlays from graphics tweaking/monitoring programs or chat programs can also cause issues.

In the launcher, try switching between DirectX 11 and Vulkan, as applicable, to see if that makes a difference.
Citrix Workspace, for example, has been reported to cause performance problems in various games, in particular with DirectX 11.

When lowering the graphics settings, did you also try lowering the resolution, or switching to Windowed or Fake Fullscreen display mode? If the monitor refresh rate is higher than 60, try setting an FPS cap in the game options for 60.
One person reported this issue when the Anti-aliasing option near the bottom of the Video settings was on TAA, but it was fine with SMAA.

Double check your monitor's refresh rate. One person reported that their monitor getting reset to a value lower than the game was configured to run caused performance problems, until they noticed the change and fixed the monitor's setting. That was a consistent issue, though.

Try verifying local files: in the Steam library, right click on the game and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Files...' button.
With the GOG version, in the (optional) Galaxy client, select the game, then the settings icon at the top right (beside the Play button) and under Manage Installation select 'Verify / Repair'.

Try exiting out of the Steam client, and starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Baldurs Gate 3\bin' folder, by right clicking the executable (bg3.exe for Vulkan, or bg3_dx11.exe) and running as administrator.
Try right clicking the executable, select Properties, switch to the Compatibility tab and check off the 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' option (set it to Application), run as administrator and disable fullscreen optimization, and maybe set a Win 7 or 8 compatibility mode. In Windows 7, check off the option to 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings', disable desktop composition and run as administrator.

Try browsing to the 'C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3' folder and delete or rename the graphicSettings.lsx file, to get the game to recreate it the next time it is started, in case there is some kind of compatibility issue after the update. The easiest way to get there would be to copy the line below into the location bar in Explorer and hit Enter.
%LocalAppData%\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\

Try browsing to the 'C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\LevelCache' folder and delete the contents. A corrupt file there can cause problems, and clearing the cache was reported to help with a patch 5 issue. The easiest way to get there would be to copy the line below into the location bar in Explorer and hit Enter.
%LocalAppData%\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\LevelCache

Check for updated graphics drivers, and Windows updates in general.

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

Try creating a new Windows administrator user account, switch to that account and try starting the game from there, directly from the executable.

Try resetting your graphics driver's 3D settings to default (right click an open area of the desktop to start the nvidia Control Panel or AMD Radeon Software).

If you check the video options in-game, is the Nvidia / AMD card listed as the fullscreen display, rather than integrated graphics, if applicable, or the Microsoft Basic Renderer?

Make sure the Virtual Memory setting in Windows is set to automatic / system managed, rather than being disabled or set to a fixed size.
For Windows 10, you may be able to free up a noticeable amount of idle memory usage by opening the 'Notifications & actions' section of the system Settings (in the task bar search box start typing 'notifications'), unchecking options there (especially 'Get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use Windows' and 'Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows') and reboot.

You could try a clean re-install of the graphic card drivers, or do a clean uninstall and try installing older drivers, to see if that makes a difference.

If you open the Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc or right click an open area of the Task Bar) and switch to the Performance tab, how is the CPU utilisation in general, and when the game freezes? At the bottom of the window there should be a link to 'Open Resource Monitor', which will show activity for each core, as well.
The Resource Monitor also has a separate tab to check disk activity.
Is the memory utilisation maxed out, or is there still some available when this happens?
How is the GPU utilisation? If it isn't shown by default, you should be able to add it in the Task Manager by right clicking any of the column headers in the Processes tab.

If that doesn't help, there will be various updates and optimisations in the full release which will hopefully help with this.

Regards,
Julian

enthusiast
enthusiast
My PC rig:
Mainboard supports PCI 3.0
i5-4670k OC@4100 MHz from 3800MHz original Clock
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
16 GB Ram DDR 3 Ram
2560 x 1440, 59Hz

SSD: 870EVO 4 TB (not an nvme)

I thought the freezes would be related to the bottlenecking by CPU and loading a lot of assets to avoid loading screens in larger areas.
In my case the minimum CPU Requirement should be met because the requirement of an i5-4690 is just the same CPU with only standard clocked with 3900 MHz. Everthing inside is just same. Only difference is that i OCed mine to 4100.

The Freezes started around patch 7 or 8 in Early access and where persistent in patch 9 too.
What changed ofver the patches is that more grafical details where implemented and thus Textures lload is higher.
This is what i assume.

But so far no one at Larian gave some insight to this freezing issues.
I really do hope they are gone in release version. Its too annoying on my PC when i get those freezes between 30 sec to one minute. Depending on how many NPCs and complexity of Level Geometry are in the general Area and needed to be loaded in.

Can somebody confirm this?
Or better a software solution to this freezing, implemented pls!

Last edited by TheHero; 13/07/23 06:32 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Maybe hardware requirements were too high for this game. Only game console or top rank computers may run with easy, but also high electricity usage. I will recommend the game to able to run in average computers like bg2, so that more players can join in and enjoy this game.

Falagar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
PREVIOUS POST:
"It's Falagar, who originally posted this issue. I just checked it out today June of 2023 and I still seem to have this issue. From the couple recent posts, it seems like it's something that is just present in the game, & hopefully will get fixed. Now, I must admit, it doesn't not seem to be as 'bad' as it originally about a few years ago, but my character will still slide across the floor, & the sound is cut out. I'd say after several seconds up to 10 seconds, things go back to normal again. The pause thing with the sound cutting out even happens just sitting there in the main menu. Sometimes about 15 to 20 seconds into the menus (& I was about to change the audio, or am in the process of changing the volume settings), or just sitting in the main part of the main menu. I do hope this gets fixed before the actual release this August. Also, here's my specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor
GeForce RTX 3060
32 GB Ram"

CURRENT COMMENT:
Something interesting I have noticed. This whole freezing / pausing for 10 - 15 seconds (sometimes even 20 seconds) issue seems to only happen when I am recording a Let's Play. I have OBS open on my second monitor when I record. Even by just keeping it open on the second monitor and not recording, it seems to do this still. What is up with that? I record Skyrim, Witcher 3, et cetera, no problem. Thanks guys for any input about this.

Last edited by Falagar; 17/07/23 07:57 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
At this point i'd say wait till release, it's only 2 1/2 weeks.

But if you want to investigate further, have you tried monitoring programs like "HWmonitor"? (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) I alway use this to check my system if i experience any weirdness while playing. You can check loads and temps etc. of every component in your pc. In my experience it is better and easier to handle than windows built-in stuff.
At a glance i would say your CPU (Ryzen 5 six-core is the 3600, right? I have the same one and was wondering if your 5600 is a typo?) is bottlenecking with obs open at the same time.

D
stranger
stranger
D
This is still an issue. I'm experiencing the same. SSD usage running steady 40 %, to spike up to 100% for a short moment, while game freezes.

Please fix this, everything else in the game is smooth. There are no other issues. It seems to happen randomly. In dialogues, when moving about the map, when in combat etc.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Do you have enough free space left on your drive?

Getting this occasionally myself, except for me it's not 100%ing my SSD but rather my CPU. No apparent reason, either, it's just... spiking at random. This last time was when I clicked on the plaque in the bandit area and walked a couple of feet. Nothing seemed to load/need to load, and just 100% and lockup for ~5 seconds. Hrm.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard