Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Potatoo #869397 25/07/23 10:16 AM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Potatoo
Well you can just leave your computer on and let it download in time, there is no problem. Thank God we don't live in those times when you had dial-up connection and you had to pay for every second you used internet. I still remember my mom almost killing me when we had our first monthly internet bill.

Yes,that would be a possibility. The problem is that we have only one pc in the family that is used many hours for working,playing,surfing and so on. And this slows down download speed and maybe interrupts the download.

Or even ends it. I Have experianced that quite often.

And ordering a more expensive internet package for just downloading games is out of question and won't really solve my above mentioned "problem"

Anyhow, a big thanks in participating in my thread. 👍

Best wishes
Wolfgangk

Buba68 #869400 25/07/23 10:17 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Buba68
There is a boxed set with books, posters, mouse matts, Illithid statute ...
Yes but that doesn't come with a disc version of the game, you just get a digital download code.

W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Most prebuilt pcs actually come without the disc drives, unless to pay extra for them. On most laptops- you can't even get them anymore.

Good argument! Thx.

A strange developement! In that case you can't play bg1 or bg2 anymore despite you also download it.

But why pay for games again that you already own and throw away all your old games on dvd/bluray!?

But i also want to thank you for your valuable reply.
Thx
Best wishes
Wolfgangk

Wolfgangk #869407 25/07/23 10:25 AM
I have brand new fiber connection where I live, but I only took 150mb connection because it only costs me 10 bucks a month and I'm not some super nerd who needs a fast connection.

ArvGuy #869408 25/07/23 10:32 AM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
The problem with releasing it on blueray for PC users is that very few PC's these days actually have a blueray drive. That makes it a bad investment to have it printed on blueray. And regular DVD just isn't going to work.

That said, the size of the download probably isn't more than 100 gb, which will then decompress into 150 gb for the installation. So that's handled by letting your computer sit overnight and download. As far as disruptions and whatnot, the game is being released on Steam and GOG, and both of those have clients that can handle the download and installation process. I believe they download in chunks and assemble at the end, so they should be able to handle interruptions to your internet service.

By the way, 4 min per gigabyte is 240 seconds per 8 gigabit or 30 seconds per gigabit or gigabit / 30 per second. That's a 30-40 mbit connection. I'm not sure it's reasonable to call that slow, even though some people are spoiled potatoes sitting on fiber connections. And I don't think you're going to get a whole lot faster than this through a copper connection.

Really appreciate your vast and informative answer. Thx a lot.

Yes, the thing regarding the "lost" dvd drives i have heard and anwered before. Thx again.

@download in parts: ok, this sounds a lot better!!

This could be a solution to my problem! 👍👍

And thx for saving the honour of my internet provider. 😄🤗 Till now i am quite content with my connection.

Best wishes
Wolfgangk

Potatoo #869410 25/07/23 10:34 AM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
If OP tested his internet download speed using standard internet download speed tester, the actual download speed is 10% of the score you got from that test. For example, if I test my internet connection speed and it says 150mb/s, the actual download speed is 15mb/s.

Will try that. Thx for your tip!

Wolfgangk #869411 25/07/23 10:36 AM
Can you go to this website and tell what speed it gives you? https://fast.com/

I have 150mb/s fiber connection and that site gives me 150mb/s result. My actual download speed is about 15mb/s.

Last edited by Potatoo; 25/07/23 10:37 AM.
Buba68 #869412 25/07/23 10:37 AM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Buba68
There is a boxed set with books, posters, mouse matts, Illithid statute ...

As potatoo states there again you have to download the whole game with a code. No physical media

Thx for your input

Vitani #869415 25/07/23 10:47 AM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Vitani
Originally Posted by Wolfgangk
Originally Posted by Vitani
It costs money to publish a game on a physical medium. I think it all boils down to this.

And that most people actually prefer the digital editions.

Thx for your reply!

Regarding the money: on the other hand it would generate profit from collectors like me that would gladly pay a higher price. They could include it in the collectors edition instead the digital version that is included.

Hm - i think especially with such an old game series that was played by people who were used to goodies and big boxes, there could be a bigger fan group that would honour such an additional edition.

Maybe we could make a poll here regarding this topic

Best wishes
Wolfgang k
Hey, I get it. I used to have the collectors edition of BG2, those swanky 4 disks and an extra with the soundtrack and additional merchants in form of an extra patch. I also used to have 100+ of those boxes games came in, the size of a ream of paper.

In the end I decided it's not worth the space it took up in my home. And I know I'm not a complete old-timer (well, teens would not agree any more I guess laugh ), but going digital was a great thing for me, even if - just like you - I'll need a whole night to dowload Baldur's Gate 3.

Hey, you ARE an oldtimer if you remember those boxes.🤣🤣 Like i am.

Still have the same collector boxes of bg1&2.

My collection consists of more the 200 boxes in 4 shelves and is situated in my "play room"

But i understand your opinion. And as far as i understand i will have to follow your path.

Anyhow- thank you for you answer.

Best wishes
Wolfgang k

W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Man, this is a big game. 150GB.

Went and checked some uninstalled big games on Steam. Doesn't necesarily mean anthing, but:
RDR2 : 120GB
GTAV: 110GB
BG3 EA: 80GB
Witcher 3: 57GB

This is kind of weird, though: Skyrim SE 14GB compared to Fallout 4's 100GB. What's up with that? Sure, it's bigger, but it's not sixteen times the detail or anything.

Yes, this is really huge!! You mention witcher 3.
There is a goty edition on discs for pc! I own it and i don't see why there couldn't be a bg3 edition.

I watched some videos on youtube regarding bg3 and i don"t see a thing that really necessitates sixteen times more space comparing to skyrim

Hm - we will see!

Thx again for you valued post

Potatoo #869421 25/07/23 11:00 AM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W

I have 150mb/s fiber connection and that site gives me 150mb/s result. My actual download speed is about 15mb/s.

It says 19mbits.

Wolfgangk #869423 25/07/23 11:03 AM

It says 19mbits.
Damn, so you probably have a 20mb internet connection and can download BG3 like 1,9mb/s. Man, it's gonna take a while for you...

Potatoo #869426 25/07/23 11:07 AM
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W

It says 19mbits.
Damn, so you probably have a 20mb internet connection and can download BG3 like 1,9mb/s. Man, it's gonna take a while for you...

So 1,9mb/s. !!

This would be 6,8 gbytes in one hour!

And this means -wait- : 22 hours download if everything runs optimal. 😱

Really hope they offer the game in chunks

Thx for that great info.

Best wishes
Wolfgangk

Wolfgangk #869428 25/07/23 11:08 AM
veteran
veteran

It says 19mbits.
19 megabits/second is ~8.5 GB/hour I believe. So it might be an 18 hour download.

W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

It says 19mbits.
19 megabits/second is ~8.5 GB/hour I believe. So it might be an 18 hour download.

Ups- thought it was megabytes!

Thx for the correction. But 18 hours are still a long time.
🤔

Wolfgangk #869436 25/07/23 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

It says 19mbits.

Ups- thought it was megabytes!

Thx for the correction. But 18 hours are still a long time.
🤔

to Calculate MBit into MB, multiply the MBit number with (ca.) 0,12

They really like to use Mbit and Gbit so the numbers are bigger. Even though many people do not know the difference.
Though I do wonder if the game is 120 * 2³⁰ Bytes bit or just 120 * 10³ Bytes.
That actually makes a massive difference when it comes to the needed time.

(The former would be correct, but the latter is more used and the IT world gave up and invented GiB to be precise.. =P)

Wolfgangk #869439 25/07/23 11:40 AM
veteran
veteran
So even with my 500 Mbps Fiber connection, that's a 40 minute download - assuming a perfect download speed. However, it really comes down to what steam can handle.

If I get even half of that I will be lucky.

Still, better than 18 hours.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
So even with my 500 Mbps Fiber connection, that's a 40 minute download - assuming a perfect download speed. However, it really comes down to what steam can handle.

If I get even half of that I will be lucky.

Still, better than 18 hours.
I think the most relevant aspect here is whether Steam will have any preload window, which Larian said they didn't know. If the game gets even just a 2 day preload window then it doesn't matter whether you download it in an hour or 20 hours, you'll still be able to play on the first second at the time of unlock. If no preloads, then it can become annoying to have slower download speeds.

Wolfgangk #869444 25/07/23 11:54 AM
J
stranger
stranger
J
Hi all,

I actually messaged Larian last night about this and as of yet they have no plans for a physical version of their game. That includes PS5 and will likely extend to the eventual Xbox Series release too.
Sad and disappointed really myself with that news cause I will likely miss out on playing it smirk
Hope the release goes well but meh for us.

Wolfgangk #869446 25/07/23 12:01 PM
old hand
old hand
There is a difference between Mb and MB.

b stands for bit, B stands for byte. A Byte is 8 bits.

The M stands for Mega, meaning One Million. So:

Mb means megabit, or one million bits,
MB means megaByte, one million bytes

So. A connection that gives you 40mbps means:

40/8*1000000 = 5MB/s

One GB is One Billion Bytes, or 1000 MB's.

So. 150GB at 40mbps.
150.000.000.000 bytes = 1.200.000.000.000 bits
40.000.000 per second, so 1.200.000.000.000 / 40.000.000 = 30.000 seconds.

60 seconds per minute, so: 30.000/60 = 500 minutes
60 minutes per hour, so 500/60 = 8,33 hours, so eight hours and twenty minutes.

So, turn off your energy saving things, turn off the monitor and set it to download before you go to sleep/work, come back and play.

Now, this is a little inaccurate, because the M *actually* stands for 1024 and not 1000 - but using 1000 makes it far easier to calculate. Your connection will never be *that* stable, but it's a good prediction, nevertheless.

Wait. I made a mistake somwehre, this isn't right. I'll work this out before you flamewar me. Edit again: Actually.. Nope, this was accurate.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 25/07/23 12:14 PM.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard