Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I've never understood the need for gamers to get into specific game tribes and compete with other game tribes. I just want good games period. Why would I care if BG3 tops 1 million concurrent users and Starfield doesn't or reverse? That won't affect me in the slightest. I just want both to be good.
Well, it really depends on who are you talking to, I guess.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
N
old hand
old hand
N
I've never understood the need for gamers to get into specific game tribes and compete with other game tribes. I just want good games period. Why would I care if BG3 tops 1 million concurrent users and Starfield doesn't or reverse? That won't affect me in the slightest. I just want both to be good.
I want good games, which is why I don't like Bethesda.

Their "open world" games feel almost like a mockery. Fallout 4 is a good example.

The main hub "city" has 52 npcs. It just destroys immersion, there shouldn't even be raiders in the game because there is no one to raid... Skyrim had similar issues.

Meanwhile of you go play New Vagas is actually feel like a living world.

Bethesda needs to do better imo the Witcher 3 was Skyrim but better in every way.

/imo

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 29/07/23 07:43 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Originally Posted by Fox of Embers
If this would be TES6, I would fully agree. But with Starfield I am not so sure.

This, in a nutshell. That said, Bethesda needs a *serious* win after the Fortnite 76 debacle, and they know it. I actually expect it to be pretty good. But. BG3 I have more faith in. And it just might be that BG3 shines a negative light on Starfield. I hope Starfield is awesome, though and it scratches the need of everyone that paid for Star Citizen. Those poor people deserve at least something to play while they wait another twelve years for the money to run out.

Edit:
I just want both to be good.
Oh, definitely this. I'll play both for years to come.

For me, BG3 has a clear advantage because DOS2 was surprising delight and I’ve enjoyed the EA, where I was tremendously disappointed by Fallout 4 and nothing I have heard about Starfield is setting my reservations to ease. I hope Starfield is good, but I can’t blindly trust a Bethesda game will be good after their last missteps. I’m sure that to some extent that doubt is prevailing amongst many other gamers.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I'm with you, but many consumers will have to make a choice between games if they cannot justify $120 dollars in discretionary spending. Further, you can only play one game at a time, stream one game at a time, post about one game at a time.

I will be buying Starfield day 1 probably, as I have already bought BG3. But I can only play one at a time, and be fully immersed in one at a time.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Why would I care if BG3 tops 1 million concurrent users and Starfield doesn't or reverse? That won't affect me in the slightest. I just want both to be good.
At least my reason for caring is that if a game in a genre I like does well, there is an increased likelyhood more games in that style will be greenlit.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ieldra2
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Ieldra2
I think there will be....

*an increase in the number of people interested in CRPGs, which is f***** great,
*an increase in developer interest to make such games, in spite of all the fearmongering, which is also great,
*maybe an increase in the number of people interested in tabletop roleplaying, which is also great, and
*an increase in the number of people interested specifically in D&D, both for tabletop games and videogames, which is not so great.
It's all "great" so long as other major RPG studios don't decide to turn their games into BG3 clones. But the good news for me is that I have supreme confidence none of them will do so.

Here's the bottom line. The very tiny group of you here in this forum who love Larian's games as the greatest ever made and who love to hate on certain other big RPG studios and their games are not even close to being representative of the millions of self-identifying RPG fans out there. There are literally millions of people who LOVE the RPGs made by such studios as CDPR, Bethesda, and even Bioware <gasp>. Games like Starfield, TES6, Witcher 4, and Dragon Age 4 will not just sell millions, but tens of millions. And those games will have very high player satisfaction ratings and will also earn good reviews and awards. Those studios (to include even smaller studios like Obsidian and inXile) are not going to change their game formulas to mirror BG3 just because of a few people's momentary BG3 craze. And thank God for that because I, just like those many millions of other gamers, am so looking forward to games like Starfield, Witcher 4, and yes even very much DA4.

If that "you" was meant to include me, you're very much mistaken. I love all those games (obviously, only those that already exist from your list) and in general, I'm not a big fan of the way Larian does things, except for location design. I like variety and I certainly won't limit myself to games from one or two studios. I just don't think that D&D specifically is a good rule system for a roleplaying game. Tons of people start with it, and so did I, but it is among the systems I like least.

Edit:
I don't think that DA4 will break the 10 million mark, and I doubt it will be good enough to deserve it. I would love to be proven wrong, but I doubt it. Bioware appears to be, rather sadly for this old fan from the time when they made BG2, DAO or ME1, long beyond their time. They survive on old glory, and from the tweets of their staff it appears they don't even know any more what made their old games so successful. We're more likely to get politically loaded non-statements out of them these days.
You are correct, in that on hindsight I should not have included your post as a quote in my post. My post was a response to the thread overall, and not specifically to your post. Apologies for that.

veteran
veteran
Bioware confirmed sometime last year or so that DA:I is their highest selling game of all-time. We also know for a fact that ME4 has sold over 10 million. Therefore, the correct conclusion reached by people is that DA:I has sold well over 10 M.

I have no doubt that DA4 will outsell DA:I. Some of you really need to get past your personal animus towards (recent) Bioware games and understand that a lot of people out there see those games very differently. I am on record as saying I passionately love the original BG games. And yet I am also someone who loved all three DA games, yes to even include DA2.

Also for the record, CDPR recently announced that The Witcher 3 has now sold well past 50 million. And CP2077 more than 15 million. CDPR is doing just fine with its fans.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
I want good games, which is why I don't like Bethesda.

Their "open world" games feel almost like a mockery. Fallout 4 is a good example.

The main hub "city" has 52 npcs. It just destroys immersion, there shouldn't even be raiders in the game because there is no one to raid... Skyrim had similar issues.

Meanwhile of you go play New Vagas is actually feel like a living world.

Bethesda needs to do better imo the Witcher 3 was Skyrim but better in every way.

/imo
Eh... I can see where you're coming from, but I have probably played more Skyrim than any game ever in my life. Maybe if you combined all the hours I put on Paradox games together it might come slightly close, but not really.

Bethesda is the only developer that produces worlds where you can be anyone, go in a particular direction, and create your own coherent story from a mix of hand-crafted and procedurally generated material. It's not just the world; it's how you can seamlessly situate your own story within it. While I can understand not being a fan of Bethesda's take on Fallout, Elder Scrolls has to be one of the most engaging open-world RPG settings out there. I find it hard to fathom what you would be comparing Skyrim to. Every open world RPG that came out after Skyrim was inspired by it in some capacity.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Some of you really need to get past your personal animus towards (recent) Bioware games and understand that a lot of people out there see those games very differently.

People are of course welcome to enjoy/not enjoy any games by any studio and to say that here, as long as they don’t attack others who don’t/do enjoy the games they do/don’t (delete as applicable!).

In general, we’re best sticking to expressing our own views rather than commenting on others’. Though of course, if there are specific factually incorrect statements made by others, we can correct the record. But in that case it’s best to quote to show exactly what we’re talking about.

(For the record, I also loved DA:O, DA2 and the Mass Effect trilogy and very much enjoyed ME:A and DA:I despite thinking they were less good than their predecessors for different reasons.)

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I will be buying Starfield day 1 probably
Me too. But my copy will sadly have to sit unplayed for several months because my current gaming machine can't run it. I plan on buying a new gaming machine. But because I want to spend whatever I need to spend to get the most cutting-edge machine I can, I have to wait until next spring to do it. Given the stage of life I'm at, I have other financial obligations and responsibilities. frown

addict
addict
Larian actually got a win with Microsoft making Starfield exclusive. BG3 is basically counter programing for PS5 players jonesing for a new RPG. Same day release is marketing Gold. I'm not sure if they planed it that way, but it is basically free advertising (and vice versa I suppose).

By the time Larian sorts out the Series S issues, Starfield hype will have died down a bit. Then a little marketing push and word of mouth will sell BG3 on x-box when it releases there.

Back from timeout.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Bioware confirmed sometime last year or so that DA:I is their highest selling game of all-time. We also know for a fact that ME4 has sold over 10 million. Therefore, the correct conclusion reached by people is that DA:I has sold well over 10 M.

I have no doubt that DA4 will outsell DA:I. Some of you really need to get past your personal animus towards (recent) Bioware games and understand that a lot of people out there see those games very differently. I am on record as saying I passionately love the original BG games. And yet I am also someone who loved all three DA games, yes to even include DA2.

Also for the record, CDPR recently announced that The Witcher 3 has now sold well past 50 million. And CP2077 more than 15 million. CDPR is doing just fine with its fans.
ME4? You mean Andromeda? I doubt that it bombed so hard it didn't even get dlc frown

Edit: Also cyberpunk should on sheer hype and good will from tw3.

The real test will be to see how phantom liberty does

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 30/07/23 12:52 AM.
veteran
veteran

ME4? You mean Andromeda? I doubt that it bombed so hard it didn't even get dlc frown
Yes, and yet it managed to sell 10 M+. You shouldn't underestimate the pull of those games based on your personal feelings toward those games. And to be clear, at least on the ME games, I have no personal stake. I've never played any of them and have no interest in them myself. I only like Bioware's DA franchise. In fact, thus far I have only exclusively played RPGs that are fantasy-based. Starfield will be my very first sci-fi RPG. grin

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

Inquisition was 9 years ago.
Since then, they've put out a ME Remaster, Andromeda, and Anthem.
Laidlaw, Darrah, Hudson, Ohlen, Gaider, Karpyshyn, Walters, and most of the veteran Dragon Age and Mass Effect staff are gone.
DA4 has been rebooted at least twice and has lost at least 2 creative directors since the first reboot.
The only good news about this game came out in 2021 where arstechnica reported that Bioware had "wrested" control of DA away from EA after an internal "struggle" of some kind, ensuring the game would be strictly singleplayer, only to be followed by more veterans leaving.

Origins, 2, and Inquisition are good games. Origins is great, seminal even. But one can hardly blame people for losing confidence in Bioware after 9 years of glitches and live service, the hemorrhaging of veteran talent that made those franchises in the first place, and the news of repeated reboots and internal power struggles within EA.

It's fair to love Bioware, but they're in a pact with a Fiend.

EDIT because this sounds harsh:
There HAS been recent good news about new creative leads on DA4, some victory for remaining Bioware veterans in the rumored internal struggle, and the development of and investment in some promising new talent. I WANT DA4 to be good. I really really really do. But I'm worried that EA has other plans.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 30/07/23 01:05 AM.

N
old hand
old hand
N

Yes, and yet it managed to sell 10 M+. You shouldn't underestimate the pull of those games based on your personal feelings toward those games. And to be clear, at least on the ME games, I have no personal stake. I've never played any of them and have no interest in them myself. I only like Bioware's DA franchise. In fact, thus far I have only exclusively played RPGs that are fantasy-based. Starfield will be my very first sci-fi RPG. grin
I have to doubt those numbers then I loved Andromeda and yet it wasn't even sucessfull enough for dlc on launch.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

I have to doubt those numbers then I loved Andromeda and yet it wasn't even sucessfull enough for dlc on launch.
This "ranking" says 5M+ to Andromeda, with DAI and ME3 being the most successful at 7M+.
https://gamerant.com/highest-sellin...how-much-sold/#mass-effect-2---5-million

ETA:
That's "units" not "dollars."
Andromeda never sold more than 6M. It's most generous lifetime prediction was 9M, but there is no evidence it even came close to hitting 9M units. Most articles cite the 5M unit number for Andromeda.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 30/07/23 01:34 AM.

For me it's not even a question of having confidence in Bioware. I simply find that given a choice between not playing EA games and performing a double login for EA games I own on Steam, I choose not to use their app. That doesn't mean I won't play Bioware games once they're available on GOG without needing to use the app (DA:O), but I'm not impatient enough to play them that I'm not willing to wait.

old hand
old hand
I want good games, which is why I don't like Bethesda. Their "open world" games feel almost like a mockery. Fallout 4 is a good example.

Bethesda I deem *terrible* at plot and story - But incredible at making exploration and a sense of true roleplay that speaks to the imagination. For some reason, the stories you find in computer terminals and books and scrolls and such are way better than the game's story. Now. I certainly agree with the quality issues you present, but I *love* the modding community for it. I recognise exactly what you point out, but then, someone else did too and made a mod for it. Tailoring the game to your wants and needs is something I love about those games. That with their sense of freedom, I loose myself entirely in those worlds.

Notice how on these forums we all want something else out of the game? Often we see eye to eye, but what I find necessary, someone else find ludicrous. Not a problem in Bethesda games. There is a Skryim to be made for everyone, even if you want Thomas the Tank Engine or Lightsabers.

And, even aside from mods - They do something really right, too. I worked at a little game studio when Skyrim came out. Half the office had requested leave, there wasn't a creative in the building. Same with the TV guys a floor above us. The next week as we all dripped back in, and this became the only thing discussed over coffee - many of the colleagues that never played games suddenly got into it, and were hooked. And stayed hooked.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
D
addict
addict
D
I'm with you, but many consumers will have to make a choice between games if they cannot justify $120 dollars in discretionary spending. Further, you can only play one game at a time, stream one game at a time, post about one game at a time.

I will be buying Starfield day 1 probably, as I have already bought BG3. But I can only play one at a time, and be fully immersed in one at a time.

They only have to drop $120 to play both if they want to play both RIGHT NOW! There are plenty of really sweet old games on discount that they could play right now instead, and then play BG3 and Starfield after they too are discounted.

veteran
veteran

Inquisition was 9 years ago.
Since then, they've put out a ME Remaster, Andromeda, and Anthem.
Laidlaw, Darrah, Hudson, Ohlen, Gaider, Karpyshyn, Walters, and most of the veteran Dragon Age and Mass Effect staff are gone.
DA4 has been rebooted at least twice and has lost at least 2 creative directors since the first reboot.
The only good news about this game came out in 2021 where arstechnica reported that Bioware had "wrested" control of DA away from EA after an internal "struggle" of some kind, ensuring the game would be strictly singleplayer, only to be followed by more veterans leaving.

Origins, 2, and Inquisition are good games. Origins is great, seminal even. But one can hardly blame people for losing confidence in Bioware after 9 years of glitches and live service, the hemorrhaging of veteran talent that made those franchises in the first place, and the news of repeated reboots and internal power struggles within EA.

It's fair to love Bioware, but they're in a pact with a Fiend.

EDIT because this sounds harsh:
There HAS been recent good news about new creative leads on DA4, some victory for remaining Bioware veterans in the rumored internal struggle, and the development of and investment in some promising new talent. I WANT DA4 to be good. I really really really do. But I'm worried that EA has other plans.
Fair enough, but for me these are not necessarily bad or problematic things. I am of the belief that even the most talented people eventually become stale and start losing their creativity. So for me it's a good thing to have turnover of people at RPG studios and for them to bring in new talent. The people who made DA:O were also "new" at one point, weren't they?

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard