Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Originally Posted by benbaxter
They have the house rule that nat 1s and 20s work on skill checks, too.

I actually failed an illithid wisdom check 0 one time because I rolled a 1.
Yeah, nat1 is auto-failure no matter what, that's the same as in D&D, not a house rule...generally if a task is deemed to need a roll in the first place a nat1 will fail it. A difficulty of 0 generally means it's super easy but will still require a dice roll if the DM still wants you to have a chance to fail it as it might be a minimal challenge but still a challenge. But I don't know about nat20s...if that is consistent with D&D then in the event that difficulties higher than 20 exist in the game(which we don't know if they do), a nat20 may not succeed...depending on what bonuses you have.

I can't tell if you messing with me on purpose...

RAW 5e nat 1 and 20 are only for combat and death saves. Everything else is just a straight roll with bonuses.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran

RAW 5e nat 1 and 20 are only for combat and death saves. Everything else is just a straight roll with bonuses.
If your DMs played it like that then that's house rules. Nat1 is guarateed failure for everything, no exceptions.

veteran
veteran

If your DMs played it like that then that's house rules. Nat1 is guaranteed failure for everything, no exceptions.
In 5e RAW, nat 20s and 1s only matter for attack rolls. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/combat#Rolling1or20

Natural 20s and 1s mean nothing for Saving Throws and Ability Checks. There's no specific text about Nat 20s & 1s here https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/using-ability-scores#AbilityChecks

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

If your DMs played it like that then that's house rules. Nat1 is guaranteed failure for everything, no exceptions.
In 5e RAW, nat 20s and 1s only matter for attack rolls. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/combat#Rolling1or20

Natural 20s and 1s mean nothing for Saving Throws and Ability Checks. There's no specific text about Nat 20s & 1s here https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/using-ability-scores#AbilityChecks
If you want to try to rule lawyer your way out of critical failure depends on the DM but really, no. Nat1 is and always has been a critical failure.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Swen keeps telling us to just trust the dice and that, no matter whether we pass or fail checks, there'll be an interesting story. And even that failing can sometimes be in some ways better than passing. I'm going to take him at his word, and if I fail checks then I'll just find some way of dealing with the consequences.

Of course, I expect I'm probably going to play the game multiple times, so if I fail a check one time then chances are I'll see what happens if I pass another time. So just going with the flow is also my way of helping make my playthroughs feel meaningfully different.

I WANT to trust him, but I also have seen straight up "oh you don't get this roll, well now you just have to fight a crazy hard fight" or "roll 4 times in a row to get SH to share a single thing with you. If you fail a single roll she tells you to eff off."

I agree with you. Trust has to be earned and Swen hasn't earned it as far as I'm concerned. There's always an alternate way of doing what you need to do but that's not the same as failure being fun or entertaining in itself. It just means there's a backup plan for screw ups.

S
stranger
stranger
S
so said the human in a flat non joyful non influential tone of neutrality

I have played online games since 1991 when Never Winter Nights was released on AOL... I KNOW my games... and I have known many many games since. So don't question my gaming experience it's longer then most of you have been alive.
old hand
old hand
So I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, if you plan to never use speech skills and fight through everything you will end up needing to long rest after every couple of fights.

You can initiate conversations with party members but I don't thing you get approvals with your main character that way.

Also I mentioned how I didn't like Shadowheart's background, well it looks like that was already planned to change along with all the companion's stats so they all have 17 in their main stat, but at the same time they all have too many odd numbers so I still had to respec them all.

I changed Shadowheart to a wild domain cleric, the spells you get are super nice and wisdom bonus to staff attacks. The only use I ever got out of Trickery domain was buffing stealth on Astarion which is completely minor and niche, charm and disguise self on shadowheart and completely useless.

My poison sorc gets off to a rough start, the twinned ray of sickness and chromatic orbs miss so much, will stick to it and see if it ever improves.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 05/08/23 03:38 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I can confird this. Use Charisma as your class stat, but as a Fighter or whatever, 12 Cha is more than enough to in a lot of rolls.

Just not the most difficult ones. There are plenty other routes.

D
addict
addict
D
High elf can grab friends as their cantrip. That and guidance from Shadowheart should be enough to get you through most interactions with charisma as dump stat.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by dwig
High elf can grab friends as their cantrip. That and guidance from Shadowheart should be enough to get you through most interactions with charisma as dump stat.

Friends isn't really any good anymore as it turns targets hostile after it ends.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, I was planning on relying on Enchantment spells for my Wizard playthrough, then I realised I could not modify the memories of others to forget that I used enchantment magic on them. For some bizarre reason people don't like to be mind controlled. I know it's an odd habit, but NPC's are bizarre creatures.

Evil always finds a way.
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf

Friends isn't really any good anymore as it turns targets hostile after it ends.

I'm playing tactician mode and I have yet to see anybody turn hostile after using friends on them. Not saying that it will never happen, but so far not once. I've used it plenty.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Swen keeps telling us to just trust the dice and that, no matter whether we pass or fail checks, there'll be an interesting story. And even that failing can sometimes be in some ways better than passing. I'm going to take him at his word, and if I fail checks then I'll just find some way of dealing with the consequences.

Of course, I expect I'm probably going to play the game multiple times, so if I fail a check one time then chances are I'll see what happens if I pass another time. So just going with the flow is also my way of helping make my playthroughs feel meaningfully different.

I WANT to trust him, but I also have seen straight up "oh you don't get this roll, well now you just have to fight a crazy hard fight" or "roll 4 times in a row to get SH to share a single thing with you. If you fail a single roll she tells you to eff off."

Personally, I'm fine with some crazy hard fights if I fail to talk my way out of trouble (well, unless I get TPK-ed and then it would be a reload!). And indeed being told to eff off if I keep pestering someone to share something they're not ready to, if I'm not quite charming enough about it! Playing and replaying early access has made me a convert to just going with what happens and that becoming the story of my character, with all its ups and downs, so I do believe Swen that we can feel (relatively) safe in surrendering control to the dice.

Of course, I have yet to prove that will stick once a whole playthrough is at stake, but I hope so. I've found it engages my imagination more, thinking about how the party and my character will feel about and react to failing something they really wanted to succeed on. Something like, for instance, failing to save Arabella, could potentially resonate through the whole game for some characters. I actually think I'd find passing all the checks boring, now.

But of course, there's no right and wrong way to play. But with all the zeal of the converted, I'd just recommend people give rolling with the dice a try to see how it feels once they get past the initial discomfort!

And, of course, if you are trusting the dice ( as per Swen's comment ), then you should never add bonuses to the roll, and never use inspiration, because both imply you are not trusting the dice.

I do plan to have different playthroughs, with a variety of characters, but my first game will be aiming to get my way as much as possible, with persuasion and concilliation my primary tools. I can't imagine a "dark urge" playthrough being at all similar, and would not choose a charisma character there.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

I'm playing tactician mode and I have yet to see anybody turn hostile after using friends on them. Not saying that it will never happen, but so far not once. I've used it plenty.
Huh I haven’t noticed because whenever I use friends, I run the fuck away and wait until the next day before going back.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

Huh I haven’t noticed because whenever I use friends, I run the fuck away and wait until the next day before going back.

That has been my strategy as well. You can see a red aura surrounding their feet while its on. Just don't talk to them for a while and it seems fine.

addict
addict
So far my 8 Charisma druid has succeeded on something like 80% of his Charisma checks through a combination of Guidance, Enhance Skill, and careful use of Inspiration Points. The times he did fail didn't end in brutal combat or life-and-death situations because I've been selective about where and to what end I use the charisma options to try and get a better outcome. I'm about 30 hours in right now.

Guidance is honestly so good. It automatically compensates for your deficit -1 no matter what and can be the equivalent of a +3 in CHA if you get a max roll.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
So far my 8 Charisma druid has succeeded on something like 80% of his Charisma checks through a combination of Guidance, Enhance Skill, and careful use of Inspiration Points. The times he did fail didn't end in brutal combat or life-and-death situations because I've been selective about where and to what end I use the charisma options to try and get a better outcome. I'm about 30 hours in right now.

Guidance is honestly so good. It automatically compensates for your deficit -1 no matter what and can be the equivalent of a +3 in CHA if you get a max roll.
Yeah if you're selective to try to avoid the tough rolls and with some bonuses you can kind of make do. But there are critical instances in the game where charisma and/or wisdom are absolutely critical. Depending on your choices there ARE forced 25 or 30 DC rolls that you must pass or lose a companion on the spot where the only alternative is giving in to their demands. So low charisma will force to either go down certain paths or lose companions.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid

Yeah if you're selective to try to avoid the tough rolls and with some bonuses you can kind of make do. But there are critical instances in the game where charisma and/or wisdom are absolutely critical. Depending on your choices there ARE forced 25 or 30 DC rolls that you must pass or lose a companion on the spot where the only alternative is giving in to their demands. So low charisma will force to either go down certain paths or lose companions.

Yeah, if you are determined to do a completionist run where you miss nothing ( or, at least, as little as possible ) then you will probably need to be very persuasive and intuitive. Or do a lot of save scumming and selective respeccing, as needed smile

On the first run, I am trying to keep everyone in tune for as long as possible, but I fully expect to lose some of the party, and I already know which ones I will let go. Trying to keep everyone in the party for the whole game is not necessarily a good thing.

D
addict
addict
D
Friends cantrip finally got me in a fight. I used it to talk Brem (in Zhentarim hideout) into letting the artist go for free. Then I spent a minute in conversation with the artist, which meant that I was standing next to Brem when friends faded. Even with friends it was a bit of a lucky roll (DC 20) so I'll probably just pay on reload.

old hand
old hand
I'm running 12 Cha and it's fine thoughout. Sometimes I 'win', sometimes I don't. BUt that's all good. There is plenty of bonuses to go around. Shadowheart's Guidance worked for the longest time. Shadowheart is no longer with us. So I gave Gale a single level in Bard for the inspiration. That first tadpole thing you get helps, too.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard