#877936 10/08/23 12:37 PM
M
MarvelS Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
It's not a trivial question. So vote.

Edit: I should clarify that this isn't aiming at the mere presence of sexual content or nudity, but more specifically at the sexual behaviour of companions.

Some reasons behind the contention that BG3 might be too sexualized are:

*** Moderator edit (RQ) - removed new substantive claims about playersexuality that were added after the poll was started and would have affected my willingness to let the poll stand in its initial form, as well as potentially have changed how people voted.***

3. I realize we live in a culture where people already decide to smash or pass within the first 10 seconds of meeting anyone, but we don't tend to see the actual realization of that behaviour as dignified. Which means that if every companion comes across as someone who would have a profile on Grindr, it gets pretty hard to take those companions seriously and they're the companions you have to rely on to ... whatever the ultimate objective is in this game (I haven't gone passed Act 1 yet).

Is BG3 too sexualized?
single choice
Yes (52%, 34 Votes)
No (48%, 31 Votes)
Total Votes: 65
Voting on this poll ends: 0 seconds ago
Last edited by The Red Queen; 13/08/23 06:14 PM. Reason: Removed edit adding substantive claims about playersexuailty that were added after the poll started
The "censored stuff" option in the settings helps. smile

We are proud to report that we finished our DOS2 localization project (Hungarian). :'-)
https://warg8.jimdofree.com/
M
MarvelS Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
For clarity's sake, it's not about the presence of nudity or sex, but about the sexual behaviour of companions.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MarvelS
For clarity's sake, it's not about the presence of nudity or sex, but about the sexual behaviour of companions.
Then absolutely yes.
I have no problem whatsoever with nudity and even explicit sexual content, but...
as I said in another thread I feel that outside of very specific character arcs and for story-relevant reasons, companions should DEFAULT into friendship/trust/camaraderie until "romance" is actively chased by the player.

I don't want to interact with the entirety of my party while feeling that any attempt to be even remotely nice to them may turn everyone around me into some pushy sex pest who also happens to be particularly whiny about rejection.

Last edited by Tuco; 11/08/23 01:59 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
It's probably worth linking to this thread where this is being discussed: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=877931.

Personally, I think it's hard to answer this question yet as it feels like there are bugs in some of the romance/sex flag settings. I've answered "no" because I'm certainly not (yet) seeing the sort of companion behaviour that some other players are reporting in the linked thread in my own playthrough, but I'd probably be voting yes if I were getting hit on repeatedly by companions whether or not I'd shown any interest in them.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I’m not sure how to answer this. On the one hand, companion relations are too consistently horny and focused on romance, but on the other hand, it’s not like these are too much when taken individually. When you put all of them together, however, it comes across as almost obsessively horny. Like the writers needed to take a cold shower or something.

It’s not an either or. It’s unbalanced. The game imagines that every relationship is sexual or desirous in nature, and that’s just too much. Again, the individual scenes are not a problem, but taken together, it makes the game feel like a dating sim (which is NOT a compliment).

The emphasis on universal, omnipresent sexuality in every corner of Faerun is not immersive, or satisfying. There needs to be a greater emphasis on platonic dynamics and close platonic dialogue options.

I do wonder if the romance system is bugged because this game is just TOO horny for me to imagine it was a conscious decision. I am voting “no,” but I still think there is something seriously wrong in the execution here.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Yes and no I suppose. Unfortunately the goblin after-party really set the mood for the companions, and literally every one of them mentioned finding someone to f**k. I know people think this is totally normal behavior, and having sex IS indeed normal behavior, but I'm trying to imagine going to a dinner after defeating a tough foe, and it's a bit silly that literally every companion you talk to talks about their sex plans for the night, and how they include YOU.

It's just very immature writing that feels very videogamey. I have to laugh at people mocking bioware style romances for [flirt] dialogue, but at least it gave you some agency in leading the relationship towards what you wanted. Having some companions imply interest in you is one thing, but just straight up "I would SEX you SOO HARD if you weren't stupid" or "let's have a drink and then bear sex!".

I voted yes because of those things. Obviously the majority of the time your companions aren't talking about sex, but the way it frames everything is indeed overly sexualized imo.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I votes yes.

It is overdone. Beeing just normally nice to get approval of your companions always leads down the romance part. Ofc in RL ppl fall in love for even less sometimes but this feels overdone.
I actually took a break from the game when that mind flayer, sat down next to me half naked and wanted to go down that road...even tohugh it was remotely funny.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
I votes yes.

It is overdone. Beeing just normally nice to get approval of your companions always leads down the romance part. Ofc in RL ppl fall in love for even less sometimes but this feels overdone.
I actually took a break from the game when that mind flayer, sat down next to me half naked and wanted to go down that road...even tohugh it was remotely funny.

I immediately just chose: "I'd like a dreamless sleep for once" and shut that down hard lol

veteran
veteran
Voted no. Bugs should of course be fixed, but otherwise it seems fine to me! There are lots of options so people can pick what they want: romance or not. There is also an option not to show nudity.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Haven't run into any bikini armor yet so I'm gonna go with a big sad No.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aeliasson
Haven't run into any bikini armor yet so I'm gonna go with a big sad No.

The question wasn't about "bikini armors" though.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I’m not sure how to answer this. On the one hand, companion relations are too consistently horny and focused on romance, but on the other hand, it’s not like these are too much when taken individually. When you put all of them together, however, it comes across as almost obsessively horny. Like the writers needed to take a cold shower or something.

It’s not an either or. It’s unbalanced. The game imagines that every relationship is sexual or desirous in nature, and that’s just too much. Again, the individual scenes are not a problem, but taken together, it makes the game feel like a dating sim (which is NOT a compliment).

The emphasis on universal, omnipresent sexuality in every corner of Faerun is not immersive, or satisfying. There needs to be a greater emphasis on platonic dynamics and close platonic dialogue options.

I do wonder if the romance system is bugged because this game is just TOO horny for me to imagine it was a conscious decision. I am voting “no,” but I still think there is something seriously wrong in the execution here.
This is clearly a yes vote though..??? The question is about the game overall, not one specific companion. And overall, as highlighted, you clearly think the game is too horny/sexualized.

I agree with you. One, two, even three characters are allowed to be super horny. But when *every* companion is constantly begging for sex, and the dominant way of interacting with companions is via flirting (or harsh rejections)....that's when it becomes a problem. I want to be friends with some of these companions: just friends!

Last edited by mrfuji3; 10/08/23 02:37 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Of course it is.
You can have sex with all companions regardless of sex, gender, race and class even when it does not make sense. All companions are very willing and easy to get. Instead that you first have to build a relationship with them they throw themself at you at the first opportunity. Its harder to be just good friends with them than sleeping with them. And sex is also a bigger part of the marketing, for example the bear scene.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

This is clearly a yes vote though..??? The question is about the game overall, not one specific companion. And overall, as highlighted, you clearly think the game is too horny/sexualized.

I agree with you. One, two, even three characters are allowed to be super horny. But when *every* companion is constantly begging for sex, and the dominant way of interacting with companions is via flirting (or harsh rejections)....that's when it becomes a problem. I want to be friends with some of these companions: just friends!
Ah, you and your logic. Fine, I DO think it’s too much, but I’m trying to convince myself it’s not because I like the game so much.

I already voted no, so when results come out, just subtract one vote and switch it to yes.

Any of the romances taken individually are not too much. It’s when you put them all together that they become this Gestalt Horny Disaster. There needs to be platonic intimacy, platonic relationships, platonic commitment, platonic love. That’s a very human thing. Not everything needs to be about sex.

Edit: Obligatory Community Reference as the Party--

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 10/08/23 03:01 PM.

veteran
veteran
I'm in a similar situation as Queen: I haven't encountered any horny behavior from companions so far. I romance Shadowheart, but that was nice and not horny at all (it is a talk scene and then the drinking and talking scene from EA) - that is all.

Edit: Karlach just asked me to sleep with her - I turned her down, I plan to romance her on my next playthrough. That came a bit out of the blue tbh, I now get what people mean with companions coming on too heavy.

Last edited by fylimar; 10/08/23 03:47 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
B
old hand
old hand
B
The question itself is poorly expressed - "too sexualised" is relation to what? A definition of sexualised wouldn't go amiss either.

As for the answers, there is a difference between it being too sexualised (whatever that means) and the sex-related elements being poorly implemented.

My position is the same as it was during the bear incident furore - either do it properly or leave it alone.

Meanwhile over on Nexus there is already alternative male and female bodies; a penis mod and even several futa mods.

FYI there are over 700 mods for BG3 on Nexus. I've got 10 or so mods on the go, mostly QoL stuff and make it more like 5e types, plus a reshade. I've just come out of the game to grab a camera mod as the Larian camera is driving me nuts.

Last edited by Beechams; 10/08/23 03:20 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I would make another poll that rephrases the question more specifically. Perhaps "Is the overall experience in BG3 too horny or suggestive?" rather than "Is BG3 too sexualized?"

While the sample size in these replies is small, I do notice a divergence in opinions between the three posters that have identified as women (or that I vaguely recall have identified as women), and posters who do not. I wonder if the problem is not BG3, but rather differences in evaluations of what does and does not constitute suggestive behavior on the part of certain gender identities? Not sure what that implies, but it is an observation.

B
old hand
old hand
B
I would make another poll that rephrases the question more specifically. Perhaps "Is the overall experience in BG3 too horny or suggestive?" rather than "Is BG3 too sexualized?"

While the sample size in these replies is small, I do notice a divergence in opinions between the three posters that have identified as women (or that I vaguely recall have identified as women), and posters who do not. I wonder if the problem is not BG3, but rather differences in evaluations of what does and does not constitute suggestive behavior on the part of certain gender identities? Not sure what that implies, but it is an observation.

The problem is the use of the word 'too'. The word implies relative to something else.

I voted No. (and as someone above, the Question is worded poorly.)

Is the game too sexualized? Get out of here, every Male gamer out there is playing a female to look at Azz. Hypocrites.

NEXT!

Are the companion Horny and wanna bed you at every turn? NO. Didn't happen in my game.

NEXT!

Is it possible there is a BUG? Probably!

NEXT!

Is it possible you suck at picking your reply with them? Possible!

NEXT!

Is it possible you turned them down and now you are blowing this out of proportion? Definitely!

NEXT!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard