Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
One thing I really wish that would get some quality of life improvements apart from Inventory Management, is proper Companion Management during our stay at the camp. To be able to control any companion and access their inventory while we're within the camp, without having to recruit them as a party member.

Because the way it works right now is; we have to disband our 4th party member and then recruit the companion we want to interact with, only to then disband the current companion and once again recruit our previously 4th companion.

It's unintuitive and cumbersome and ends up detaching us from the companions because of how unimmersive it is. So much unnecessary legwork is required just to adjust a companion's inventory and use some spells while they're siting on the bench. It could be so much simpler and immersive.

SUGGESTION:

• Make companions selectable while we're in the camp without having to be in the actual party
  • Make the inventory of all companions accessible while we're in the camp without having to be in the actual party

*For clarification; this would only apply and work within the camp, to make it an immersive and proper way of managing all the companions. Outside of the camp the rule of four would remain.*

UI SHOWCASE:

"There is beauty in simplicity."

While within the camp, all of the companions are listed on the left with a nice little scrollbar so we can scroll down if any potential companions join us in the future. Each one can be individually selected without having to join the party directly.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

While within the camp, the party inventory tab features are;

• A scrollbar in the bottom-middle of the screen so we can scroll through all companions within the camp and look at their inventory
  • "Send To" option lists all companions within the camp
  • Any companion can be customized without having to join the party

For further clarity on what changes have been made to the UI, here is a highlighted showcase which shows how simple yet quite functional and meaningful it could be:

addict
addict
+1

Love it. That's exactly what would make the most sense to me.
Well presented!

veteran
veteran
I really want party of 6 and this goes right along with it, even though OP said no.

+1 to OP suggestion except no party of 6.

Of course, I want this regardless of party of 6, but if you're going to make all members accessible at camp like they're all in one party, why not simply make it so players can do party of 6 too?

🥰

PLEASE, LARIAN! And I mean party of 6 AND what OP is suggesting, but at LEAST OP suggestion. I absolutely do not like having to constantly switch party members at camp via dialogue and such in order to trade items, etc.

Last edited by GM4Him; 04/09/22 10:51 PM.
old hand
old hand
This would be a great feature to have.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I just didn't want to cause any confusion on what the feedback is about, as without the tiny clarification people may see the images and think I'm suggesting a party increase grin

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Agree with OP.

I’d also like selecting the party inventory button while in camp to show contents of the camp stash as well as all the inventories of all potential party members in camp.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
I love this...but it's a pretty big UI change at this point. IMO I'll deal w/ it how it is rather than wait longer for release.

addict
addict
That may look like a big UI change but, as a dev, I can tell you that it really isn't.

veteran
veteran
In NWN2 whenever you left the inn a little pop-up would appear. On the left would be the characters not in your party, and on the right would be the characters in your party. (or vice versa, whatever)

From that window you could quickly change out who would be in your party once you left the inn. I thought that was a nice feature that made it easy to change out characters.

That said, once upon a time I heard it said that the game would eventually force you to pick your team. I know some people are against that but I would personally LOVE it. I'd much have a story moment that forced me to make the hard choice and cull myself down to only three companions.

old hand
old hand
+100 to OP's suggestion! This is how it should have been from the beginning, especially with foresight to additional companions. Now, of course, they have to readjust again. Provided that Larian wants that at all.

veteran
veteran
What you're asking for, OP, is exactly what I've been beating the drums for from a long while ago, so yeah definitely +1 from me.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
That said, once upon a time I heard it said that the game would eventually force you to pick your team. I know some people are against that but I would personally LOVE it. I'd much have a story moment that forced me to make the hard choice and cull myself down to only three companions.

I really hope they do not do that as the companions in BG3 are much more pronounced, livelier and intimate. Not to mention incredibly useful even if they're resting at the camp.

For example; my main party is Crimsomera/Shadowheart/Lae'zel/Astarion. I taught Gale all the scrolls I can find in the game and use him as a healer/buffer whenever I'm within the camp (reason why I never have to fully Long Rest). And I could find a similar use for Wyll, but so far I haven't found the need to. So everyone has a purpose within and outside the camp.

Otherwise there wouldn't be much of a point in gaining attitude, especially with Gale and Wyll who reflect on our decisions, even if they're camping. Would be quite saddening to be frank.

addict
addict
And might I had to this fabulous idea, the more companions Larian adds in, the better this becomes!
+100 Turnips for you good sir.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran
Looks much better to me! I can imagine myself sort of zoning out in camp with this, to just sort of admire the crew while fiddling about if it was handled more like that. Thus far, while playing BG3, I find the party/character selection process and the char and inventory management screens aren't really responsive enough for me to achieve a level of zen with it. You know, where taking a pause to visit camp and rest feels sort of therapeutic and comfortable. In BG2 everything was so quick and pretty clean, whereas here it always feels like there's a built in delay. Whether just from UI dragging or not being sticky enough, or needing to click around the view screen to enter some kind of dialog with unnecessary extra steps. Being able to access a view like this easily would help to cultivate that sort of vibe at camp for me. I like the scrollbar showcase, and just seeing all the available characters together like that. It's clear they have enough room on screen to make it look and work much better than it is right now.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 10/09/22 12:21 PM.
U
enthusiast
enthusiast
U
you know the reason why they dont want to do this, is because they want to do the party lock thing... right?

I support this 1000%

M
stranger
stranger
M
You have my support on this suggestion as well

stranger
stranger
+1 here

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
+1 here too.

Honestly, how did the game get all the way to release without such a necessary improvement?

K
stranger
stranger
K
+1 as well

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard