Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#884296 21/08/23 09:11 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Am I the only one hoping for more subclasses for the Sorcerer?
Aberrant Mind and Shadow Magic seemed perfect for this game given how heavily both Aberrations, in the form of Mind flayers and the Shadowfell, in the form of Moonrise Tower plays in the game.
Draconic and Wild Magic make sense given that they are the default, Storm Sorcerer? We don't really go by ship anywhere and while we get a lot of elemental focus with Thunder and Lightning spells, the limited spell slots of Sorcerers means we usually focus on 1 elemental damage to get the most out of spells. Isn't that kind of the point with the Draconic coloured bloodlines.

Evil always finds a way.
old hand
old hand
Yes we should get more subclasses for the the most powerful class in the game.

The limited spell slots isn't even any problem as most of the spells are garbage. You can also get a feat that allows you to bypass elemental resistance for any damage type except for poison which I also wish you could.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Storm Sorcerer is great. The bonus action flight ability tends to be a bit underpowered in table top, but is very useful and fun to play with on Larian’s maps.

Draconic was always my favorite but now I’m all in on storm.

That said, I do hope we get a dlc package at some point with one subclass for each class.

journeyman
journeyman
Running 1/2 Orc Storm Sorcerer level 6... The flight is like a free Misty Step every cast... Keeps them fighters away... Mix that with Shield and another defense item for bonus saves... you get some decent protection to cast your carnage. I found Careful Spell handy ... which i never thought i would. I allows me to push spells through my fighter blockers.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Painbringer71
Running 1/2 Orc Storm Sorcerer level 6... The flight is like a free Misty Step every cast... Keeps them fighters away... Mix that with Shield and another defense item for bonus saves... you get some decent protection to cast your carnage. I found Careful Spell handy ... which i never thought i would. I allows me to push spells through my fighter blockers.

My draconic sorc got flight at level 11 as a class skill, also you can get it with illithid powers, uses up no actions so can use it every round for free.

So I wouldn't say that taking storm sorcery just for flight is worthwhile, just if you prefer the other features.

Also draconic has +3 AC, and my base AC is 16 somehow, if you make human or gith you can also use the +2 AC, +1 spell DC shield.

Oh right, 16 base AC because ?I went 16 dex / 14 con.

Since I'm an elf with no shield, in act 3, 16 base AC is not enough to ever get any shield reactions, so unless you have the means to get base AC to 18 in act 3, I would recommend dropping shield for something else.

I highly recommend human or gith sorc now so you can equip the +1 DC shield with a +1 DC staff, going to do that for my second playthrough, I'm too far into act 3 currently to bother restarting until I've finished and also put up with not realizing I had -2 to 3 stats on Lae'zell from the gith machine.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 22/08/23 01:49 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Flight at level 11 with draconic sorcerer happens towards the end of the game. Flight with storm sorcerer can be used throughout the game. Build isn’t just destination, it’s journey too.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Flight at level 11 with draconic sorcerer happens towards the end of the game. Flight with storm sorcerer can be used throughout the game. Build isn’t just destination, it’s journey too.

Yea I didn't use flight in act 1 or 2, and didn't realize how good it was until I got it in act 3.

The AC boost from Draconic isn't really helping me at all in Act 3 either, even the shield spell never procs, but since I plan to add the shield to that in second playthough dunno I'll try out storm sorcery or wild magic since they can always be respecced to draconic anyway, but I do like the scales as well.

Storm sorcery fly uses up a bonus action, can only be used after casting a level 1 or higher spell, but doesn't get opportunity attacks.

Illithid fly is a free action always useable but gets opportunity attacks, and I haven't tried the one I got at level 11 yet.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 22/08/23 08:35 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Using bonus action for flight doesn’t get in the way that much. Since quickened spell is 3 sorc points instead of 2, I don’t often use the bonus action for anything aside from flight. And after level 4 or so you have enough spell slots that you spend lots of time flying around the battlefield.

I am not using any illithid powers in my sorcerer playthrough, so that flight is not on the table for me.

W
veteran
veteran
W
All this talk of subclasses and I forgot to mention, storm sorcerer gets five free spells at level 6, and it’s a very decent list. Having more spells is pretty great given how limited the sorcerer is normally.

Link Copied to Clipboard