Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 57 1 2 3 4 5 56 57
old hand
old hand
I think that Shadow Heart is an ideal character for cuckold kink, why not implement this in BG 3

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Or...Shadowheart is an adult individual who can engage in sexual jokes and banter without it meaning that she is going to act on any of it or even want to.

She is more than happy to engage in some lighthearted romantic fun at Druid's Grove. She seems well aware that she is attractive and used to responding to advances and banter with witty remarks throughout the entire story. The moment she shifts to being a bit more serious and sincere about it is when she and the main character realize that there may be some real and serious feelings involved. This is actually good story arc writing because it shows that the character is vulnerable and responds to the raised stakes of having her heart broken with shifting the way she addresses things with the main character. That she stays the same with regards to responding to other people that she does not have a romantic investment in, and doesn't change her entire person to submit to the main character's perception of how a monogamous person in a committed relationship must act and behave from now on, is indicative of a good and healthy adult relationship. As long as she does not go ahead and sneak off with any other other person behind her partner's back, even if she actually wants to do that, she is showing respect and commitment to her relationship.

There, I won't even charge you for that relationship councelling.

Originally Posted by papercut_ninja
Or...Shadowheart is an adult individual who can engage in sexual jokes and banter without it meaning that she is going to act on any of it or even want to.

She is more than happy to engage in some lighthearted romantic fun at Druid's Grove. She seems well aware that she is attractive and used to responding to advances and banter with witty remarks throughout the entire story. The moment she shifts to being a bit more serious and sincere about it is when she and the main character realize that there may be some real and serious feelings involved. This is actually good story arc writing because it shows that the character is vulnerable and responds to the raised stakes of having her heart broken with shifting the way she addresses things with the main character. That she stays the same with regards to responding to other people that she does not have a romantic investment in, and doesn't change her entire person to submit to the main character's perception of how a monogamous person in a committed relationship must act and behave from now on, is indicative of a good and healthy adult relationship. As long as she does not go ahead and sneak off with any other other person behind her partner's back, even if she actually wants to do that, she is showing respect and commitment to her relationship.

Oh yeah. That makes sense. I mean, who wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who's dreaming about having sex with someone else who's just a few steps away from you? And will jump to sleep with that person the first chance they've got and will openly flirt with them while you're around AND disapprove of you if you deny them the chance to have sex with said person. Seems a very good and healthy relationship. Especially if you're not into poly at all and just want an old and boring monogamous relationship.

R
Rotsen Offline OP
OP Offline
R

LOL, LMAO even. I'm going to be a bit of an asshole now but I'll do try to keep it playful. wink

That's a lot of words just to say you are into cucking. I bet it felt rather good writing all of that, especially that last line. But the gaslighting doesn't really work. You might have your preferences and views when it comes to relationships but you will find them amongst the minority if you only decide to look outside your bubble.

Now let me say this, I really don't care what kinks or interest you or anyone else has. (OneManArmy comes to mind) I really don't and never did, what makes you aroused and how you conduct yourself during your relationships is entirely up to you and I will not think less of you just because I don't share your enthusiasm for it. I just ask that you or others don't shove it in my face or try to trick me into it, especially when it comes to the enjoyment of my games, books, movies etc.

You go on about how flirty she is and aware of her position/attractiveness and yet she is rather dismissive of anyone that isn't the player character throughout the game, she is even so interested and invested in the main character from the start that if you decided not to kiss her during the Tiefling party she voices her disappointment. Which leads us into the rest of her romance/story. You said she changes how she interacts with the MC as soon as the stakes are raised and feelings are involved and that is true, true to the point that her investment in the MC leads her to reject any other advances from others or ideas of sharing.

But a person experiencing her story should not voices their concerns if a character starts exhibiting contradictory behavior and statements because a writer decided to spice it up out of nowhere with Mizora or Halsin? (Both scenes felt like they were tacked on after everything was already established)

As for your 'mature' outlook, believe it or not but the majority of people regardless of their sexual orientation don't consider it a healthy relationship for their partner to flirt with others or constantly fantasize and or pine for others. You might even say its a deal breaker.

And seeing how Shadowheart despite her claims of commitment goes 180 AFTER her story is finished and flirts and thirsts for Halsin no matter what, it is understandable as to why a lot of people are not pleased. People don't like being led on, in real life or fiction. So when a writer surprises you with a sneaky little cuck fetish you get reactions like these.

Now lets me be a bit sassy and do some relationship counselling of my own. wink No its not controlling to expect commitment in a mono relationship, no its not making a partner submit by asking them not to flirt with others and cheat on you. It's okay to have self respect, It's okay to voice your concerns and set down your deal breakers. There, I wont even charge your that wink

even if she actually wants to do that

God damn has this silly little trash fire of poor writing brought a smile to my face. Oh god man XD (I'm talking about the games writing and the discussion around it by the way, your post has been rather enjoyable to read despite completely disagreeing with it lol)

Last edited by Rotsen; 09/09/23 11:22 AM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Avallonkao
Oh yeah. That makes sense. I mean, who wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who's dreaming about having sex with someone else who's just a few steps away from you? And will jump to sleep with that person the first chance they've got and will openly flirt with them while you're around AND disapprove of you if you deny them the chance to have sex with said person. Seems a very good and healthy relationship. Especially if you're not into poly at all and just want an old and boring monogamous relationship.

Words aren't actions. I don't read into it that she has any desire to sneak away with anyone else just because she makes a few flirty jokes. If my partner was honest and sincere with me in a way that Shadowheart is in private, I would trust them to not be inconsiderate and hurtful towards me, and not jump to any premature conclusions based on some comments. Maybe her disapproval is a sign of her getting bad vibes from you that you are being possessive and don't trust her.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Rotsen
LOL, LMAO even. I'm going to be a bit of an asshole now but I'll do try to keep it playful. wink

That's a lot of words just to say you are into cucking. I bet it felt rather good writing all of that, especially that last line. But the gaslighting doesn't really work. You might have your preferences and views when it comes to relationships but you will find them amongst the minority if you only decide to look outside your bubble.

Now let me say this, I really don't care what kinks or interest you or anyone else has. (OneManArmy comes to mind) I really don't and never did, what makes you aroused and how you conduct yourself during your relationships is entirely up to you and I will not think less of you just because I don't share your enthusiasm for it. I just ask that you or others don't shove it in my face or try to trick me into it, especially when it comes to the enjoyment of my games, books, movies etc.

You go on about how flirty she is and aware of her position/attractiveness and yet she is rather dismissive of anyone that isn't the player character throughout the game, she is even so interested and invested in the main character from the start that if you decided not to kiss her during the Tiefling party she voices her disappointment. Which leads us into the rest of her romance/story. You said she changes how she interacts with the MC as soon as the stakes are raised and feelings are involved and that is true, true to the point that her investment in the MC leads her to reject any other advances from others or ideas of sharing.

But a person experiencing her story should not voices their concerns if a character starts exhibiting contradictory behavior and statements because a writer decided to spice it up out of nowhere with Mizora or Halsin? (Both scenes felt like they were tacked on after everything was already established)

As for your 'mature' outlook, believe it or not but the majority of people regardless of their sexual orientation don't consider it a healthy relationship for their partner to flirt with others or constantly fantasize and or pine for others. You might even say its a deal breaker.

And seeing how Shadowheart despite her claims of commitment goes 180 AFTER her story is finished and flirts and thirsts for Halsin no matter what, it is understandable as to why a lot of people are not pleased. People don't like being led on, in real life or fiction. So when a writer surprises you with a sneaky little cuck fetish you get reactions like these.

Now lets me be a bit sassy and do some relationship counselling of my own. wink No its not controlling to expect commitment in a mono relationship, no its not making a partner submit by asking them not to flirt with others and cheat on you. It's okay to have self respect, It's okay to voice your concerns and set down your deal breakers. There, I wont even charge your that wink

Aside from the very premature conclusions about my sexual desires, the rest of your reply was well worded.

I have a social circle where sexual references and jokes that are very on the nose is perfectly accepted and enjoyed, without any of us ever having taken those words into actual action or practice. So I don't read much into how the characters in BG3 interact in that regard, it seems that is how they have been written. Maybe the writers have spent a lot of time watching Critical Role and assumed that is how everyone enjoys their DnD banter.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, there’s no shortage of “romance” options on the forum today.

Words aren't actions. I don't read into it that she has any desire to sneak away with anyone else just because she makes a few flirty jokes. If my partner was honest and sincere with me in a way that Shadowheart is in private, I would trust them to not be inconsiderate and hurtful towards me, and not jump to any premature conclusions based on some comments. Maybe her disapproval is a sign of her getting bad vibes from you that you are being possessive and don't trust her.

I understand, If that's how you feel about the whole thing with her, who am I to say otherwise?

I personally still think that her personality from before Act 3 to after finishing her quest just turned 180 in terms of her preferences, since before it, it was never once (again, unless I missed something) mentioned or hinted that she was into this sort of things or especially into halsin of all ppl.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dagless
I'd rather stay with Shadowheart than with the Dubai princess. The former might give me headaches when flirting with Halsin, but the latter for sure will give me a computer virus and is already more annoying than the jokes if Dribbles the clown

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
apprentice
apprentice
^yeah, seeking refuge in this thread if you guys don't mind. does dubai spam posting usually happens?
as for OP, i strongly believe the flags are fucked up, everything in this blasted game is still bugged.

"So... it was a bug," said Vincke. "The approval thresholds were too low when we shipped. That's why they were so horny in the beginning. It wasn't supposed to be that way. We've fixed it since, at least for some of them. We're still fixing a few of them."

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Looking at the other thread regarding Halsin, the main issue seems to lie there. Once Halsin becomes a companion, they seem to have decided to lean very heavily into the daddy-bear joke and assume that those who bring Halsin along are the ones who are interested in exploring that whole poly-dad-bear story arc (since there's no role for him to fill otherwise with Jaheira as the more obvious canon character). Unless I am missing something there are no quests in act 3 where he plays any major part, so the writing assumes that you only brought him along for bear jokes and poly-romance and they make Shadowheart adapt to that. If Shadowheart didn't play along, would we have threads with people complaining that they wanted to have a Shadowheart threesome, but she is too much of a prude to go along with it and it ruins their fun?

Last edited by papercut_ninja; 09/09/23 01:41 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by Dagless
I'd rather stay with Shadowheart than with the Dubai princess. The former might give me headaches when flirting with Halsin, but the latter for sure will give me a computer virus and is already more annoying than the jokes if Dribbles the clown
Dribbles is a comedic genius. You take that back.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
R
Rotsen Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Aside from the very premature conclusions about my sexual desires, the rest of your reply was well worded.

I have a social circle where sexual references and jokes that are very on the nose is perfectly accepted and enjoyed, without any of us ever having taken those words into actual action or practice. So I don't read much into how the characters in BG3 interact in that regard, it seems that is how they have been written. Maybe the writers have spent a lot of time watching Critical Role and assumed that is how everyone enjoys their DnD banter.

Then I apologize if I have painted you in a bad/unflattering light. Some statements did seem to me, how should I put this, cuck adjacent. I might've jumped to a conclusion in my initial response.

I still disagree with your take on it tho. As for your reference to your private life and jokes being made, it is normal to joke in friend groups even finding someone attractive is normal. We are human beings, having likes and dislikes is normal.

But there is a difference between saying that person is attractive and going out of your way to flirt with them while in a relationship. It comes of as betrayal of trust to many, especial when you learn that the person you are with is actively longing for someone else.

Even tho its connected to Shadowheart and how she is portrayed (contradictions and all) I don't want to steer this thread into a real life relationship discussion. So lets stay on the 'lets agree to disagree' smile

I can't comment on Critical Roll since I don't know much about it. I was never a fan of the whole table top DnD, to be honest. I like the lore and the setting but the table top aspect was never attractive to me.

I personally still think that her personality from before Act 3 to after finishing her quest just turned 180 in terms of her preferences, since before it, it was never once (again, unless I missed something) mentioned or hinted that she was into this sort of things or especially into halsin of all ppl.

No it was never hinted or shown that she was interested in cheating on the MC, on the contrary there are few examples where she is against it and the whole idea of sharing.

Same with Halsin, the Mizora scene feels like it was added after her story was established. (seeing how she goes from I don't like sharing and cheating to a sudden I'm totally fine with you sleeping with Mizora but I'm still mad you didn't tell me)

Some people might say that her past is indicative of her being down with it but I would disagree. The only thing her past shows us is that she had previous sexual experiences (casual sex/hook ups - like the rest of the companions, you wont find your pure virgin if that's what you are looking for - I know some people are looking for that :/) and seeing how she is rather possessive of you during her romance 'I don't want to be your spare lover'/'I would always want more of you' the idea that she would suddenly flirt and try to cheat on you with Halsin does come of as strange.

Looking at the other thread regarding Halsin, the main issue seems to lie there. Once Halsin becomes a companion, they seem to have decided to lean very heavily into the daddy-bear joke and assume that those who bring Halsin along are the ones who are interested in exploring that whole poly-dad-bear story arc (since there's no role for him to fill otherwise with Jaheira as the more obvious canon character). Unless I am missing something there are no quests in act 3 where he plays any major part, so the writing assumes that you only brought him along for bear jokes and poly-romance and they make Shadowheart adapt to that. If Shadowheart didn't play along, would we have threads with people complaining that they wanted to have a Shadowheart threesome, but she is too much of a prude to go along with it and it ruins their fun?

As you have observed Halsin does come of as a joke daddy/bear character and in my opinion he comes as one of the worst written characters in the game because of his overreliance on kink and lack of actual development.

But I think the main issue that people have with Shadoheart is that they expected something akin to Morrigan. And you do get that up until the very end where the 'OC do not steal' Halsin comes in and contradicts everything you experienced throughout her story. (People tend to look for wish fulfillments/power fantasies when playin RPGs in most cases, so like with BioWare they want that happy ever after for their characters and romances without any twists. Just look at the Karlach thread)

I do wonder if Shadowheart had a different writer would her interaction with Halsin been any different. I would expect Shadowhearts reaction to Halsins flirting to be a strong no but because the writer had other plans for his fan-fic you end up with the mess at hand.

The threesome question and people writing different threads about it, I don't think so. Especially if you look at other character being strongly opposed to it, Shadowheart would fit right in. (and she does reject sharing and threesomes with others up until Halsin shows up) Peoples issue is that Halsin just overrides everything and assumes the position of a main character at the expense of the player.

(I don't know if you read or heard about the Harry Potter - My Immortal fan-fic but Halsin reminds me of that.)

^yeah, seeking refuge in this thread if you guys don't mind. does dubai spam posting usually happens?

Damn it people! The hot Dubai girls in my area are gone! frown

F
addict
addict
F
I'm sure they could've written Shadowheart being able to be convinced into a threesome without her cucking the MC. It's the established relationship trajectory warping in the presence of Halsin which is the main culprit here.

In some ways, Larian is predictable. EA Halsin was publicly character-assassinated during the last PFH. And in game, you walk into a brothel and talk to a pair of drow prostitutes...

Larian writing + drow hookers + Gary-Stu Halsin (overriding any and all romance flags) + any companion

Is it all really surprising?

R
Rotsen Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves
I'm sure they could've written Shadowheart being able to be convinced into a threesome without her cucking the MC. It's the established relationship trajectory warping in the presence of Halsin which is the main culprit here.

Nicely put. The scene and the banter are not in line with what you would expect from Shadowheart. It contradicts and in all honesty ruins her character. They could've removed the banter and written that scene with her rejecting Halsins proposition. Then leave it up to the player to have a persuasion check to change her mind (although I think a lot of folks wouldn't like that either lol) but they went with her strait up chasing Halsin and ignoring the MC.

A romance path that ends in a partner revealing that they want someone else is not an appealing one.

Last edited by Rotsen; 09/09/23 02:34 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

In some ways, Larian is predictable. EA Halsin was publicly character-assassinated during the last PFH. And in game, you walk into a brothel and talk to a pair of drow prostitutes...

Larian writing + drow hookers + Gary-Stu Halsin (overriding any and all romance flags) + any companion

Not going to have these problems because Halsin is never leaving camp because he’s the least compelling companion and the other Druid is one of the best.

In my new playthrough, I will just instantly kill him in the goblin camp, After all, oh no, a bear, it's dangerous. kill it. I hope this won't make certain characters mad at me. XD

N
stranger
stranger
N
Damn, i dodged a bullet thanks to Orin. Wood elf Druid sleeping under baldurs gate while my human male fighter enjoys his retirement on a farm with a selunite shadowheart. Sounds like a made a good choice not cheating on her as well or considering any foursomes.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

Not going to have these problems because Halsin is never leaving camp because he’s the least compelling companion and the other Druid is one of the best.

Yeah, I guess, that is the best solution in regards to Halsin. On the plus side, he will get
abducted by Orin
and I will kill her last and don't have to see him for the vast majority of act 3 - win-win. And I mean,
I could just provoke Orin, so that Halsin accidently gets killed
- perfect.

And sorry for talking crap about Dribbles, the clown #justicefordribbles

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

Yeah, I guess, that is the best solution in regards to Halsin. On the plus side, he will get
abducted by Orin
and I will kill her last and don't have to see him for the vast majority of act 3 - win-win. And I mean,
I could just provoke Orin, so that Halsin accidently gets killed
- perfect.

And sorry for talking crap about Dribbles, the clown #justicefordribbles
#JusticeForDribbles
Please make Dribbles a romanceable origin companion who only speaks in puns and “Wa-Hey”s. We demand more Dribbles banter!

Page 3 of 57 1 2 3 4 5 56 57

Link Copied to Clipboard