Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 57 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 56 57
D
stranger
stranger
D
What Michieltjuhh said, basically sums what Halsin is all about.

Halsin adds nothing besides saving Thaniel (IDK if you can save him by another means). Everything else he says you can figure out yourselves. Anyway... If you deny his proposal of becoming a lover, apparently he game will keep pushing you (forcing you) to love him.

1. He gets in your camp even if you don't want to

2. If you reject him, that means you don't like him... no matter if you are taking a mono or poly path... If you are gay, it doesn't mean that you like every man on the planet. Then, only because I want to go poly in the game, that doesn't imply I want Halsin to be my second lover.

3. If you already reject him, why would he stick his nose and ask for a fivesome... No Halsin, no is no... I don't like you I want the twins and SH, not you... (and then the disapproval, LMAO)

4. If I'm going mono, why showing that nasty banter after the swimming scene? Even more, if I'm just talking to the twins, why would she say "There's an idea. If you're comfortable sharing... so am I"? What happens to all the "you and only you"? Before the player's response

Tons of inconsistencies... Is the game reacting to the player's choices, or the game forcing you to choose a certain path for the shake of someone's dirty fetish?

Are you telling me to go poly even if I don't want to? Specifically with Halsin? Are you saying I need to do the fivesome if I don't want a disapproval? Wow thanks for respecting my choices and narrowing my options.

Then, what? I need to kill him? Or her? Should I go the dark path? I need SH to kill the nightsong? I need to leave Halsin in the camp even if I like him as companion (for the fights I mean)? Oh wow, In other words: you need to react according to the game, because all roads lead to Rome. Let's throw your role play to the trashcan.

(sorry for the typos).

My way to have him never annoy me. Do Thaniel's quest WITHOUT having him in the party, done, saved the boy good Act 2 ending. And yes, without Halsin, no saving the kid. Then Ignore his existence, never even talk to him, imagine him just as what he really is, a forced NPC you must have in camp to have a certain quest done. I did it, and boom, all my problems were solved.
Still annoys me having to avoid any npc, but honestly, I didn't miss a thing not interacting with the unpleasant horny weirdo dude.

Also, while in the poly thing, isn't that unfair that they gave (forced) a dude option, but didn't have a female option for those who want poly but not a man?

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Avallonkao
My way to have him never annoy me. Do Thaniel's quest WITHOUT having him in the party, done, saved the boy good Act 2 ending. And yes, without Halsin, no saving the kid. Then Ignore his existence, never even talk to him, imagine him just as what he really is, a forced NPC you must have in camp to have a certain quest done. I did it, and boom, all my problems were solved.
Still annoys me having to avoid any npc, but honestly, I didn't miss a thing not interacting with the unpleasant horny weirdo dude.

That's the way I'm playing it (the Lift the Curse quest is done apart from killing Thorm). I can't stand Halsin from the moment he opens his mouth in the goblin cells. I'm hoping for a mod which allows you to kill him (and Volo, another waste of space I can't get out of my game).

N
journeyman
journeyman
N

It's kinda sad cause, honestly, I like his design but hate the rest of him. lol. He's destined to die at the goblin camp in all my playthroughs.

Also, while in the poly thing, isn't that unfair that they gave (forced) a dude option, but didn't have a female option for those who want poly but not a man?

Wait so there's not a poly female option? I thought Minthara was Poly. frown

Originally Posted by NeedaUserName

It's kinda sad cause, honestly, I like his design but hate the rest of him. lol. He's destined to die at the goblin camp in all my playthroughs.

Wait so there's not a poly female option? I thought Minthara was Poly. frown

Nope, Minthara is 110% mono, and she will threaten to kill you if you try to go flirting around, like with the twins, etc. There's no female poly option in this game. Just old dude Halsin.

Last edited by Avallonkao; 23/09/23 12:23 AM.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Originally Posted by Michieltjuhh
Even if there's a severe lack of commitment to the relationship as shown by the mediocre epilogue despite multiple heart to heart moments. Now we know why.
I don't agree with that. In the Selune ending at least whether you save her parents or not she makes it clear she wants to continue the relationship and she'll even stay with you if you become a mind flayer. I do think it's weird that she says "seek me out when you have time" if she saves her parents but if she lets her parents go you will continue traveling together immediately after the events of the game. The discrepancy between saving and letting the parents ending go makes no sense to me but there's no lack of commitment as your character will go to her after some undetermined amount of time.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by portionbeans
I don't agree with that. In the Selune ending at least whether you save her parents or not she makes it clear she wants to continue the relationship and she'll even stay with you if you become a mind flayer. I do think it's weird that she says "seek me out when you have time" if she saves her parents but if she lets her parents go you will continue traveling together immediately after the events of the game. The discrepancy between saving and letting the parents ending go makes no sense to me but there's no lack of commitment as your character will go to her after some undetermined amount of time.
It's the third time throughout the playthrough that you have to confirm it to her. First time I'll give a pass because it's just after the Nightsong stuff so she's emotional. Second time however is basically a marriage proposal a long rest after the beach scene. Yet she's still doubtful and needs confirmation again at the end of the game. And yeah, the parents ending is weird in that regard. Even the parents are completely cool with you. I did like that touch (need to talk to the dad before long resting after saving em). But then it's ruined in the ending again.

Last edited by Michieltjuhh; 23/09/23 01:36 AM.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
It's the third time throughout the playthrough that you have to confirm it to her. First time I'll give a pass because it's just after the Nightsong stuff so she's emotional. Second time however is basically a marriage proposal a long rest after the beach scene. Yet she's still doubtful and needs confirmation again at the end of the game. And yeah, the parents ending is weird in that regard. Even the parents are completely cool with you. I did like that touch (need to talk to the dad before long resting after saving em). But then it's ruined in the ending again.
I really have no idea what you're on about. Where is the non commitment here? She literally says she wants to continue the relationship.
[Linked Image from files.catbox.moe]

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
I really have no idea what you're on about. Where is the non commitment here? She literally says she wants to continue the relationship.
Commitment might've been the wrong word. Lack of faith in it instead then. Like I said it's the third time you have to say yes to that question. Why's it have to keep being asked?

Last edited by Michieltjuhh; 23/09/23 01:49 AM.
veteran
veteran
I don't think folks who are okay with the poly stuff in life understand how much it disturbs some of the people who are not.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Commitment might've been the wrong word. Lack of faith in it instead then. Like I said it's the third time you have to say yes to that question. Why's it have to keep being asked?
First of all it only happens twice, after the Nightsong decision and in the epilogue. Secondly she's obviously insecure after everything that's happened. She has multiple lines talking about how she's undeserving of happiness, her family, her real name, and even says she's not sure how she tricked the player into thinking she's deserving of them.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
First of all it only happens twice, after the Nightsong decision and in the epilogue. Secondly she's obviously insecure after everything that's happened. She has multiple lines talking about how she's undeserving of happiness, her family, her real name, and even says she's not sure how she tricked the player into thinking she's deserving of them.
Na you missed a scene then. Best vid I could find on it I'm afraid. But yes, fair enough, this is before the House of Grief stuff. I'll just blame it on lack of extended epilogue. Here's to hoping we get more.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
At the end of the day nothing is going to get changed anyway.

They probably don't even read this board since it's not the feedback board, you don't see people discussing this stuff and getting up in arms on it on twitter/discord/reddit like you do with Karlach or Minthara so as far as Larian is concerned it's not even a problem. Hell, nobody has even made anything about it on their feedback forum on their Discord. I would but I'm not articulate enough to make a big write up on how shitty this being in the game is.

So either you decide this has ruined Shadowheart's character for you or you treat it as some optional fetish fuel some degenerate writer put him the game for himself and ignore it since you can go the entire game without her even mentioning Halsin even once.

Last edited by portionbeans; 23/09/23 02:07 AM.
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
At the end of the day nothing is going to get changed anyway.

They probably don't even read this board since it's not the feedback board, you don't see people discussing this stuff and getting up in arms on it on twitter/discord/reddit like you do with Karlach or Minthara so as far as Larian is concerned it's not even a problem. Hell, nobody has even made anything about it on their feedback forum on their Discord. I would but I'm not articulate enough to make a big write up on how shitty this being in the game is.

So either you decide this has ruined Shadowheart's character for you or you treat it as some optional fetish fuel some degenerate writer put him the game for himself and ignore it since you can go the entire game without her even mentioning Halsin even once.
Ye dw I only found out through the board anyway. Never played with Halsin in party, never will. He should be happy he's the only way (afaik) to save Thaniel or he'd get stoned to death more often. Just found it interesting enough to dig into while I was waiting for the patch.

Last edited by Michieltjuhh; 23/09/23 02:13 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
So Patch 3 just dropped, were there any changes made regarding this? Anyone?... If not I really want them to make some changes atleast in he upcoming patches. Remove the disapproval, add some dialogue about how Tav will not share SH with another. Like that dialogue with Astarion! Make it fair man.

D
stranger
stranger
D

I created a thread in their feedback channel on their discord, in case you guys want to reinforce it, it's called "Shadowheart Romance Inconsistencies" (yeah, I know, not the best title, I'm not perfect with words, but hope that will be enough). I didn't go as deep as we did here, but you could keep commenting things there, and hope for Larian to see it.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by papercut_ninja
I am going to attempt a helpful and considerate response for everyone involved in this discussion. If it seems inconsistent with things I have written earlier, well thoughts and perceptions develop over time so there are aspects where my standpoints can shift.

First of all to address the emotional aspect involved which cannot be disregarded. If you develop an emotional attachment to the character Shadowheart in the game, the attachment is going to carry over to your real emotions and you can't help but react to things that you experience. To validate everyone's feelings involved, Jennifer English, the VA of Shadowheart expresses these things on a deep emotional level in an interview
here
Go to the timestamp for "emotional scene" and a word of caution that this can hit too close to home for some.

Now with validation of feelings and emotions involved, let's also make it clear that feelings are not facts! This doesn't mean that I dismiss your feelings for anything but real, just that they aren't the same as facts.

The fact is that if you are playing a monogamous romantic storyline with Shadowheart, that scene is not intended for you. That is intended for a different audience. The companions are dynamic NPC's, which means that there are different versions of Shadowheart for different audiences. The player has a degree of control over which version of the dynamic NPC they want so that the story can cater to different audiences. In comparison to the Kagha storyline that OP mentions a few times, Kagha is not a dynamic NPC, all audiences get the same Kagha.

Different versions of Shadowheart for different audiences does not necessarily need to be consistent with one another, but of course, if some key parts of her character background is suddenly completely disregarded it becomes jarring and the writing that has been done to adapt the character to the audience isn't very good.

Those who follow a classic romantic storyline between two people involving Tav and Shadowheart get a very consistent experience, with the exception of the banter between Shadowheart and Halsin, which I must honestly believe is a script error that shouldn't be there unless you are pursuing the polyromance arc, it makes no sense otherwise. I know I played that down in my earlier responses based on my personal feelings about the whole thing, but again feelings aren't facts, so how I personally feel doesn't matter. It carries gravity no matter how I feel about it.

For my experience playing through the game with a romance arc that involved only Tav and Shadowheart where Halsin wasn't even around in act 3, the delivery was very consistent and satisfying. And that's my greatest advice for everyone to take away from here, the other versions of Shadowheart that aren't intended for you doesn't matter! It is the audience that want the Shadowheart that indulges in casual sex together with Tav and others that gets the inconsistent experience, but I doubt that audience cares that deeply about consistency because they just wanted to feel some stirring in their pants. The existence of an inconsistent Shadowheart for a different audience should be their problem, don't make it into yours.

I do not know if I am understanding this correctly, but is Jennifer English in the interview saying she is affected by that poly/orgy scene as well? Is she pointing to that scene or is she talking about something else? She said that there were alot of tears for her that day and that she needed a day off, to recover from it... Because man knowing that even she is affected by this 'emotional' scene gives me such relief, coming from her.

R
Rotsen Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by khylle232
I do not know if I am understanding this correctly, but is Jennifer English in the interview saying she is affected by that poly/orgy scene as well? Is she pointing to that scene or is she talking about something else? She said that there were alot of tears for her that day and that she needed a day off, to recover from it... Because man knowing that even she is affected by this 'emotional' scene gives me such relief, coming from her.

Jennifer was talking about the scene with Shar and Shadowhearts parents if you are talking about her YouTube interview. But you don't need to worry about Jennifers opinion on Halsin because she made it clear that she isn't really a fan of the whole bear thing.

As for the discord thingy, I don't really use discord so I can't do much about it. If you want you can link this thread, that might help.

I haven't been paying much attention to BG3 for the last week or so but I doubt any major changes are gonna come when it comes to rewrites, story improvements etc. any time soon.

Just a nice little thing that I would like to add to the thread since I find it funny.

- Red prince romance: Starts with voyeurisms and ends up with cuckolding the main character

- Halsin: Overall sex pest focusing mainly on fetishes that even his fans don't like (bear scene, bear scene again with the drow twins, and dialogue where he implies he has sex with animals)

- Shadowheart: Surprisingly decent story (for a game) that is ruined buy its ending and its cheating undertones.

Same writer by the way.

Last edited by Rotsen; 23/09/23 03:27 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Really? She did mention something about 'involving a group of people and a big guy', something along those lines, so I am suspecting when she mentions 'big guy' that is Halsin, and the 'group of people' as the drows.. Do you have links to that part of the interview regarding her opinion on Halsin, or wherever she said that in?

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by DamianGDO
I created a thread in their feedback channel on their discord, in case you guys want to reinforce it, it's called "Shadowheart Romance Inconsistencies" (yeah, I know, not the best title, I'm not perfect with words, but hope that will be enough). I didn't go as deep as we did here, but you could keep commenting things there, and hope for Larian to see it.

Having made the journey from one side of this debate to the other I can help explain what you need to focus on to reach people. At first glance this appears as a classic case of player entitlement, which is how I reacted at first.

You need to approach the discussion from the point of view that it's not a problem that Shadowheart views romantic attraction and sexual attraction as separate and consequently is open to the idea of casual sex and sharing. That is just a matter of personal preferences and feelings, and feelings are not facts.

But there are two big issues:

The consistency issue
Here she is deeply in love with Tav, with both romantic and sexual attraction, and also dependant on Tav. Remember that it is Shadowheart that has the higher stakes in this relationship, Tav still has their life outside of the relationship with Shadowheart somewhere and plenty of interested parties looking for their affection. That Tav is the main source of stability and happiness in her life is not up to interpretation based on what she says. We have also established that she prefers to be discreet and likes to keep her cards close to her chest. Why in the nine hells would she risk everything she has with Tav by suddenly being completely blunt and upfront about something that she doesn't even know if Tav is comfortable with? If the player has already romanced Halsin, then it makes more sense and the target audience probably want something to develop between Shadowheart and Halsin here as well. But this happens regardless of whether Tav has shown any interest in Halsin or not, and even worse, even when Tav has clearly rejected Halsin.

The cringe issue
Halsin's behaviour is absolutely cringey and toxic, and Shadowheart's as well in at least one instance of how it plays out. Again, if some players want a spicy consentual sex orgy with their companions, that's entirely up to them and I am not telling them how they can enjoy their game. But there is a terrible lack of consideration, communication and consent in the writing. The disapproval reactions goes against everything we are trying to achieve in our modern society around healthy sexual communication. If your partner is not comfortable with something, you should never express disappointment in them, respect and support their feelings! Is it really that f***ing hard to get these things right in a game written in 2023? They supposedly even had intimacy coordinators and editors that read everything to ensure that the player could give consent in all sexual encounters. Who the hell read this one and approved it?

Last edited by papercut_ninja; 23/09/23 02:24 PM.
Page 8 of 57 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 56 57

Link Copied to Clipboard