Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 57 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 56 57
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
You know something that I haven't seen touched on in the last several pages of this thread I've read (I haven't followed it from the beginning) is that we actually do get evidence that Shadowheart would be open to a poly relationship. If you've been romancing both her and Karlach, you have to choose after Karlach's heart gets fixed in act 2. If you suggest to SH that you don't have to choose between the two of them, (correct me if I'm misremembering) she declines not because she necessarily doesn't want to share you, but because she thinks Karlach deserves to have all of your attention, given her situation. The clear implication being that if Karlach weren't destined to die, Shadowheart would be open to it. And honestly that is a level of concern, thoughtfullness, honesty and emotional maturity that could be the foundation of a functional polyamorous relationship. And we do see throughout that the two of them have solid chemistry together. What stands out most in my mind is Karlach's reaction after Shadowheart betrays Shar. That dialogue alone convinces me that they could work in a relationship and be part of a genuinely healthy and mutually caring polyamorous relationship.

In contrast, the Halsin stuff is pretty much all just horniness and lust and the pair don't demonstrate anywhere near the same kind of bond at all. But it's probably for the best that Larian didn't try to make it work with Karlach and Shadowheart, clearly they lack writers who can see the difference between a genuine polyamorous relationship and a friends with benefits arrangement with extra decoration.

Lets not make complicated more complicated. I think SH tries to hide her own emotions and vulnerabilities and redirects focus on other companion. Anyway, it is funny how SH thoughtfulness contradicts with Halsin lust.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Backinstyle
I can't find any evidence of this anywhere online where she says that about Karlach. The only thing I've seen people say is SH saying something like "I wish I was the one to give you that spring in your step" and then ending the romance.

And doesn't it seem a bit strange that this would only happen with Karlach? Why specifically her? I know she's flirted/complimented her but I'm pretty sure she flirted with Astarion and Gale too. Plus, if it were actual polyamory, why not ask to join in instead? Maybe Karlach wants her attention too..

In act 2, after you get Karlach's 2nd upgrade, she basically says she wants to touch everything and everyone lol and she'll kiss multiple faces. They could have made that the perfect opening for a poly/open relationship because they know Karlach's time is limited. Karlach is legitimately looking to have as much fun as she can.

They could have at least given an option to ask Karlach. Isn't it her who should ultimately decide what she needs and is comfortable with?

It's their endings that don't necessarily match up though, depending on your choices in SH's story especially. So maybe that's what the problem is really. You'd probably have to choose between them anyway.

Looks like I'll have to do another playthrough and romance them both to see for myself. I wish there was a list somewhere, of all the companion lines to the player, to make this easier lol

I think it would be great if there were a legitimate option like this though, because there isn't any poly/casual sex option for lesbians or straight men currently.

There is such text if you start romancing SH and Karlach and choose Karlach at some point.

Player: I'm not a swan - I don't mate for life. I want to be with you and Karlach.
Shadowheart: I admire your ambition - and your belief in your own stamina - but Karlach deserves to have you to herself. And perhaps there's yet someone out there for me...
Shadowheart: And don't worry about me - I'll manage, one way or another. But I'll remember our little moments together fondly - they're amongst the few good memories I can lay claim to.

I guess SH generally prefers monogamous relationship. She accepts player's affair with Halsin since she is aware of wood elf nature (from wiki: Wood elven romantic and sexual relationships were often polyamorous in nature, members of the race freely engaging or ceasing relations with new partners.) very similar to Mizora case.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
This is the evidence I was looking for. It further confirms SH is, canonically, only interested in monogamy. This is also like the opposite of how she responded with Mizora lol wtf

Of course, people can headcanon away, as Karlach SH and Tav would be hot together, let's be honest.

I imagine wood elves being the opposite of our world. Most would be polyamorous but I doubt every single one would be, like how ot is with monogamy here.

Last edited by Backinstyle; 12/10/23 12:15 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
This is the evidence I was looking for. It further confirms SH is, canonically, only interested in monogamy. This is also like the opposite of how she responded with Mizora lol wtf

Of course, people can headcanon away, as Karlach SH and Tav would be hot together, let's be honest.

I imagine wood elves being the opposite of our world. Most would be polyamorous but I doubt every single one would be, like how ot is with monogamy here.
It's funny if you remember how Shadowheart makes emphasis on word "Swan" if you decided to cheat on her with Mizora.

Last edited by Netav; 12/10/23 12:40 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Lol I know right. I can't stop laughing at how absurd the Mizora scene is

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
It is not even slightly okay to accuse other forum members of this. No more please.
Already mentioned it in DM but you are correct, it was out of line no matter how I meant it. Apologies to Auric for that one.

Originally Posted by Auric
owheart writes him off. I was just discussing in those same posts how she pretty consistently lacks personal initiative. The only time she displays any at all is once you've already made her quite happy and more of an open book in your relationship, at which point she shows more confidence in asserting what she wants for herself. And again it runs through your choices, she only takes initiative for something you first show a shared interest with her in (which is yet another reason the act 3 Halsin stuff has to be revamped). It makes the ACTUAL inconsistency with Karlach stand out all the more because SHE'S the one who seems totally accepting of poly with Shadowheart, only to find out the timing of game events makes it impossible to achieve because Larian didn't fully develop the concept (or Karlach's own personal quest which might have also changed things in Act 3).
She's the one that invites the PC to the first romance scene at the party. She's also the one inviting you to the beach scene in act 3. That's plenty of initiative. And while it's left to interpretation what happens with companions between one another (except at the party), we know she won't do anything with another there, and we know that both Lae'zel and Astarion know Shadowheart is not one to randomly screw around. Astarion calls your relationship sweet, but not interesting or passionate. Lae'zel says she'll bore you with endless conversation. As for the Karlach situation, the argument that "they ran out of time to make her into a proper companion so she won't do poly/open" just sounds like an excuse. In act 2 they've written it very clearly that none of them want it, Karlach and Shadowheart included.
Given how she flirts with the other companions in the early acts, it wouldn't be entirely OOC for her to do so with Halsin. IF it wasn't after you've established a committed relationship with her and it didn't involve him offering to join in on your intimate moments.

She could have lightly flirted with him, like the others, before act 3 but she was too busy hating him in act 2. I wouldn't have cared much if she had flirted before tbh, as its clearly just for fun. But the timing in act 3, the way it involves a highly intimate moment between the two of you, just makes it awkward. They definitely need to get rid if that banter, as it just doesn't fit with the times.
I'd still not buy it because there's still no argument for her to only be interested in open with Halsin and not the rest. But at least it'd make more sense than it does now, which is none at all. Though, by the time Halsin becomes a companion, she's already quite set on wanting you and no one else.

Last edited by Michieltjuhh; 12/10/23 12:42 PM.
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
You know something that I haven't seen touched on in the last several pages of this thread I've read (I haven't followed it from the beginning) is that we actually do get evidence that Shadowheart would be open to a poly relationship. If you've been romancing both her and Karlach, you have to choose after Karlach's heart gets fixed in act 2. If you suggest to SH that you don't have to choose between the two of them, (correct me if I'm misremembering) she declines not because she necessarily doesn't want to share you, but because she thinks Karlach deserves to have all of your attention, given her situation. The clear implication being that if Karlach weren't destined to die, Shadowheart would be open to it. And honestly that is a level of concern, thoughtfullness, honesty and emotional maturity that could be the foundation of a functional polyamorous relationship. And we do see throughout that the two of them have solid chemistry together. What stands out most in my mind is Karlach's reaction after Shadowheart betrays Shar. That dialogue alone convinces me that they could work in a relationship and be part of a genuinely healthy and mutually caring polyamorous relationship.
But she doesn't. Which means she isn't open for poly or an open relationship. She gives a reason regardless of companion, but the Wyll one is most telling to me. I only have saves for the Karlach and Wyll situations.

When you start romancing Karlach:
Shadowheart: I can't help but notice you seem happier of late. There's a spring in your step that wasn't there before. Just a pity I'm not responsible for it.
Tav: I'm not a swan - I don't mate for life. I want to be with you and Karlach.
Shadowheart: I admire your ambition - and your belief in your own stamina - but Karlach deserves you to herself. And perhaps there's someone out there for me...
Shadowheart: There's no hard feelings - genuinely. You deserve happiness, and I'm more than glad to remain with you to bear witness to it.
It is not mentioned that it's because of her situation. Otherwise, she'd be interested in hooking up after Karlach dies, no? But she's just straight up not interested in sharing. And well.. lets just remember this is what she says if you choose her over Karlach.
Shadowheart: I can't help but notice you seem happier of late. There's a spring in your step that wasn't there before. Just a pity I'm not responsible for it.
Tav: I didn't realise you felt that way about me.
Shadowheart: Sometimes it can be difficult to know what you want - what you need - until it's already lost to you. I know that from experience.
Shadowheart: I won't lie. I won't pretend that part of me isn't hoping you'll look in my eye and still feel something.
Shadowheart: Foolish, I know. But allow me to wallow in the fantasy a moment, bittersweet as it is.
Tav: Wait. This is wrong. You're the one I'm supposed to be with. I see that now.
Shadowheart: But what about Karlach? You'd break her heart just to be with me?
Tav: Consider it done.
Shadowheart: I won't lie... I feel a little sorry for her. But only a little bit.
Shadowheart: You may be what's been missing from my life.
So it's quite clear she just doesn't want to share. She's straight up happy you dump Karlach and only feels a little sorry for her. The last line is defining that she wants you specifically, but if that's not enough, this is the reply if you ask for open/poly with Wyll.
Tav: Must I choose between you and Wyll? We've travelled together, fought together, perhaps we can love together.
Shadowheart: Wyll comes from an old, traditional line. I doubt his family would like their heir to introduce them to his lover's lover.
Shadowheart: In truth, I don't think I'd want to be your spare lover. I'd always want more of you than you'd have to spare. Better perhaps to bow out with dignity.
Shadowheart: There's no hard feelings - genuinely. You deserve happiness, and I'm more than glad to remain with you to bear witness to it.
Those are not the words of a person that's open to sharing. Ever. Because nothing at all ever indicates that she'd be any more of a spare lover to you with Wyll, Karlach, Gale, Astarion or Lae'zel than she would be with Halsin.

And it fits her main romance writing in act 3 perfectly.
Originally Posted by sezz
I guess SH generally prefers monogamous relationship. She accepts player's affair with Halsin since she is aware of wood elf nature (from wiki: Wood elven romantic and sexual relationships were often polyamorous in nature, members of the race freely engaging or ceasing relations with new partners.) very similar to Mizora case.
Unfortunately the Halsin excuse of him being a wood elf falls flat because my first Tav was a wood elf and she was still not interested in poly or open relationship. Never got a single dialogue option pop up that was related to me being a wood elf. Therefore, it is not acknowledged by the game.

Last edited by Michieltjuhh; 12/10/23 01:13 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
You're like really good at spotting details. It's like a super power at this point, it's very impressive lol You brought the receipts and there's certainly no arguing facts. Well done smile

apprentice
apprentice
Yep, I was on hopium when I wrote it.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
For what it's worth it was actually a half wood elf, so if that matters for dialogue options and lore you can keep that hopium going!

apprentice
apprentice
Lol I know right. I can't stop laughing at how absurd the Mizora scene is
If you think Mizora scene is absurt check Haarlep. Romanced companions have 0 reaction and literally just watch.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Michieltjuhh
For what it's worth it was actually a half wood elf, so if that matters for dialogue options and lore you can keep that hopium going!
I played as wood elf. 0 hopium for me I guess.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I wrote some feedback on discord. While it starts about SH, then there's a tangent about lesbian stuff, but eventually it gets around to polyamory lol

https://discord.com/channels/98922182746329088/1161797743740727349

I also really liked Cowoline's post. It was very informative. I've been very confused as to why Halsin has been considered polyamorous, when that's not what you get in game. Surely Larian should have had experts on polyamory working with them on this? Anyway, shoot Cowoline an upvote if you agree.

https://discord.com/channels/98922182746329088/1161753690676408420

Oops was meant for the Halsin thread, but it works here too I guess lol

Last edited by Backinstyle; 12/10/23 02:25 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
Posts appear almost on daily basis on reddit and in feedback larian discord channel so.

Last edited by Netav; 12/10/23 06:03 PM.
apprentice
apprentice

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Aye, there's been a lot of requests for it to change across the web. I don't think we have to really worry about them knowing about the concerns at least.

And of course, I have also upvoted your and others' feedback on discord, Backinstyle!

Originally Posted by Michieltjuhh
Unfortunately the Halsin excuse of him being a wood elf falls flat because my first Tav was a wood elf and she was still not interested in poly or open relationship. Never got a single dialogue option pop up that was related to me being a wood elf. Therefore, it is not acknowledged by the game.

Funny thing is, that poly nature of wood elves was described in one (1) DnD related novel and never set as a rule in any DnD rulebook of any edition. It does not mean, of course, that Larian could not establish such a rule, but if they do, they had to really make it known straight from the character creation screen.

stranger
stranger
Agreed. Halsin was a mistake on every front

ayyyyy im baldurs gatin over eeeere
apprentice
apprentice
good to know, thanks

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Rotsen
I haven't been in this thread in a while and I have to say, my dudes I see a lot of cope going on, on both sides. You can rationalize all you want as to what makes or doesn't make sense but the answer is simple. To be blunt the issue is poor writing (whether you want to accept that or you enjoy parts of it) and the writers decision to season his stories with his own sexual interests.

And before someone decides to jump down my throat about attacking the writer or dismissing other peoples feelings, I don't care about your sexual interests and I don't not think less of you because of them. My point isn't to insult but to point out a certain thing. (observation)

He has written three companions (DOS2 and BG3) and in all three companions you can find aspects of cucking. (An apology to the Red Queen, I know you dislike the word but in this case it applies. Unless you can give me another name for it.)
I would say he felt rather bold when he was writing Halsin since he also decided to add bestiality, a disgusting fetish that I might add Larian decided to market their game with. (No its not one 'funny scene', Halsin has in game/cut dialogue implying he has sexual relations with animals and the whole drow scene leans heavily into it also. As for those that would defend it by saying he is a druid, would you hold the same position if he were to turn into a child? And the consent thing, lol? Scooby-doo can also consent, at the end of the day you are still having sex with an animal.)

So with that said, no its not a bug, not its not an oversight. Its intended and you are not the audience for his characters. (Maybe these things will change if the backlash is loud enough but the same could've been said for Red Prince and he stayed the same)

As for the whole Mizora scene, yes the poor writing shines the most here since she contradicts everything she has said up to that point. And if you decide to sleep with someone else after the said scene she will go back to her base way of thinking and breaking up with the MC. (Unless its Halsin ofc)

And it was/is used to justify polyamory and the sudden change in character seeing how even the militant poly people of reddit are using that scene as a justification for her being poly. (A lot of people don't care about writing or it making sense but are mainly focusing on their own wish fulfillment with addition of projecting their own lives onto it, that's why you will find poly posters being offended as if you were attacking them.)

If multiple versions of a character are supposed to exist and just closing your eyes/ignoring it is enough then I ask for a scene where Wyll is okay with the MC slaughtering refugees in ACT3 and saying he never cared and enjoys mindless killing. Consistency be damned.

I will say this as a closing part of my post. I don't want to play a side NPC in a RPG whether that comes to the main story or romances. (So I don't want to go through a full campaign where my MC is the main hero only to be swept under the rug in the last 5min because a new NPC showed up and killed the bad guy without my input and I don't want to go through a whole romance where the character decided to cheat and the very end.)

ps. Queen you don't have to worry I probably won't be coming back to this thread any time soon.

I guess I fount cut dialog you were mentioning, still in game yet not triggered:

Lae'zel: You've quite the appetite, Halsin. I'd wager you've bedded more of your foes than you've felled.
Halsin: Hmm. A challenging sum. The chimera has three heads... but does it still count as one?
Lae'zel: Must have been a challenging kill.
Halsin: Kill... yes.

Page 31 of 57 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 56 57

Link Copied to Clipboard