Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
I got a critical miss on 98% chance to hit, but that still does mean that theres a 2% chance to miss and that's what happened.

RNG is RNG. Unless it says 100%, don't expect not to fail.

You should still expect it. 100% in this game can be 99.75% and I have failed one, in the same round as a 99%. Luckiest enemy ever.

Last edited by Aria Athena; 22/11/20 01:51 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I couldn't agree with you folks more I had to battles with Gnolls and in both battles, the ones that are using bows are getting three shots each and every round and not only are they hitting with 2 to 3 of the shots they are doing close to 5+ damage with each hit. Not to mention is if I try to fire back at them in the same distance I sometimes get Not in range.

Like currently I'm in a battle at the gnarled tree?<the one for the druid's quest line> Fighting the Wood Woads and the Mephits I'm standing right in front of one with my sword and when I try to hit the thing I get a pop up that it's an invalid target. How the hell is it an invalid target when it just hit me for 8 pts of damage? How do you kill these things?

get advantage, use hold/prone/backstab ... this is a gitgud issue

addict
addict
Originally Posted by DragonMaster69
I couldn't agree with you folks more I had to battles with Gnolls and in both battles, the ones that are using bows are getting three shots each and every round and not only are they hitting with 2 to 3 of the shots they are doing close to 5+ damage with each hit. Not to mention is if I try to fire back at them in the same distance I sometimes get Not in range.

Like currently I'm in a battle at the gnarled tree?<the one for the druid's quest line> Fighting the Wood Woads and the Mephits I'm standing right in front of one with my sword and when I try to hit the thing I get a pop up that it's an invalid target. How the hell is it an invalid target when it just hit me for 8 pts of damage? How do you kill these things?

Ripley:
Torches? Do we have the capacity to make fire? Most humans have enjoyed that privilege since the Stone Age.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by T2aV
this is a gitgud issue

+1

Its just practice and familiarity, like literally every other game ever made. The game as it stands is a cakewalk if you know how.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Originally Posted by T2aV
this is a gitgud issue

+1

Its just practice and familiarity, like literally every other game ever made. The game as it stands is a cakewalk if you know how.

This.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Im 146% with topic starter, I guess thats how much hit chance I need to not actually miss, Its fcking outraging to see so much misses with 96% with advantage, and tons of critical misses without it

now about critical hits, I thought advantage gives you ~10% chance insted of usual 5% with 2 dices, and enemies land critical hits on me everytime while Im using reckless attack, but I almost never do them, also when crit happen it somehow always manage to be the last strike when enemy would die anyway

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
Originally Posted by manowar111
IIts fcking outraging to see so much misses with 96% with advantage

Not played much table top have you. The Random God's giveth and they taketh away. I have had nights where the dice NEVER went my way. Then again I have games where 20 seemed to pop up all the time.

addict
addict
It would be nice if someone could create a mod that either collects all the rolls during gameplay and saves them somewhere, or generates a few (tens-, hundred-) thousand rolls and saves a report. After 900 hrs of gameplay i also cannot shrug off the idea that the dice rolls are lower than they statisctically should be for an unloaded D20.

Last edited by ldo58; 01/02/24 01:50 PM.
A
old hand
Online Content
old hand
A
The only weird thing that I have noticed about the dice - and that might be related to the karmic dice or just be my impression - is that I often seem to land a critical success right after a critical failure. Other than that, I failed things with a 90% chance to succeed but I also succeeded in rolls with a 12% chance, so that seems fair.

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
Originally Posted by Anska
The only weird thing that I have noticed about the dice - and that might be related to the karmic dice or just be my impression - is that I often seem to land a critical success right after a critical failure. Other than that, I failed things with a 90% chance to succeed but I also succeeded in rolls with a 12% chance, so that seems fair.

The Idea of the Karmic Die is to remove true random in place of trending. So lets say you roll a 1 and then roll a 1 again, the fact is you will not EVERY (or should not ) roll that 1 a third time. The same at the other end of the scale. The reason for this is we seem to not visualize true random when we do not physically see the dice roll. We try to find patterns and because we do not see the roll we create them in our head.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
argh. The dice rolls hate me and favour enemies that also hate me.

Then again I had the same when I was playing tabletop stuff 40+ years back. And gave up a couple of years later due to such habitual bad luck that my usually humorous and easy-going neighbour got so angry with his dice that he smashed it with a hammer. Moving on a few years and my colleagues at work, even the really sceptical ones, made me get a different train to them because it would always break down when I got on; my bad luck streak really was that visible even to arch-rationalists. And it continues in BG3. All hail F5/F8 and enough patience to sit through the 40 second reload; I've taken to just coming back to combat intermittently while I'm doing something else. "*click* Oh look, Lae'zel rolled a 3 again... *F8*" tends to be my 2 seconds of gameplay when there's a battle.

J'aime le fromage.
I
old hand
old hand
I
D&D always had a problem with its dice and 5E is especially bad with its bounded accuracy which reduces the amount of bonuses you can stack (even with Larian bending it a lot)

A D20 simply offers a too high range of results and is too random so that every action is mostly decided by pure chance with all your abilities just giving it a slight nudge that mist of the time doesn't matter.

Other RPGs do it a lot better. Even just exchanging the D20 to 3D6 would help as you would more consistently get average results.

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
The solution I always liked better was the D100. This gives a much bigger spread and makes skilling up become very impactful along with giving ranges of ability. This used in combination with a skill based system can be really well done.

There was a Table Top system back in the day (want to say early Runequest, that did this. If you used a skill enough during the session the GM had you roll a percentile die against your skill level if the roll exceeded your skill level then it was raised. So someone with a 50% skill level in lets say sword, had a 50% chance each session to raise the skill. If he was at 75% the chance to raise the skill was now 25%. This allowed a skill advancement system that did not rely on "EXP" and still made higher "level" harder to attain.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zentu
The solution I always liked better was the D100. This gives a much bigger spread and makes skilling up become very impactful along with giving ranges of ability. This used in combination with a skill based system can be really well done.

There was a Table Top system back in the day (want to say early Runequest, that did this. If you used a skill enough during the session the GM had you roll a percentile die against your skill level if the roll exceeded your skill level then it was raised. So someone with a 50% skill level in lets say sword, had a 50% chance each session to raise the skill. If he was at 75% the chance to raise the skill was now 25%. This allowed a skill advancement system that did not rely on "EXP" and still made higher "level" harder to attain.

Call of Ctulhu had a similar skill advancement system.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by ldo58
Originally Posted by Zentu

Call of Ctulhu had a similar skill advancement system.

Runequest and Call of Cthulhu are both published by Chaosium, so they both have some similarities in system.

old hand
old hand
I do not play DnD, and at first the dice roll system might be a bit unfamiliar, but I think it's a good system for a cRPG (without the Karmic Dice). I got very accustomed to it over the years, at least in combat. Sometimes you have luck and sometimes not.

Where I don't like it is in some rare dialogue situations. Generally you can make the dice system bearable in dialogues by choosing appropiate numbers you have to reach. And usually I'm ok with fails, I did not reload even when I could and dead children were the result. But in some seldom situations I could not accept Larian's concept of imposing crab on me by using very high numbers. A problem in Honour mode. I had the only moments in gaming ever where I hated developers. Only a mod made it possible for me one time to play further because I absolutely did not want the (visual) result Larian wanted to force on me.

What I also don't like is that often in the game paths for progressing in quests are hidden behind perception checks. I can live with it, but it's unfair and bad design.

old hand
old hand
Very high DC's?

There's a handful of doors I know that take a DC30 to lockpick.

But, you know.
Get your high dex character with sleitgh of hand proficiency [expertise], guidance, cat's grace, Bardic Inspiration and presto. Maybe roll twice.
Failing all that..... KNOCK. But those instances are stupidly rare. I'm actually surprised there are *so* many DC10 locks everywhere that your 10Dex Cleric can lockpick. What's the point of having a thief these days? Or rather, why do people in this world bother with locking things?

Now, certain dialogue choices are high, for sure - convincing that Red Dude to join your team instead of his boss' team. But that *should* be hard and only possible if you're the smoothest talker since Christopher HItchens. Then again, these DC's are at the very end of the game, too - where you have sufficient means to boost your abilities.

And, there is of course a handful of the 99 rolls. Those can only be succeeded on a nat 20; but that too is by design. You know, 'resist the big bad' or 'lockpick the most secure vault door on the Sword Coast'

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
why do people in this world bother with locking things?

Same reason people in real life lock things.

Keep honest people out.

Even in real life, it's super easy to bypass locks. Arguably even easier than in BG3 because you don't even have to pick many of them with all the bypasses that exist due to limitations in lock design (And you know... Bolt cutters existing which cut through padlocks with ease)

The entire purpose of locks is not to keep criminals out, since they'll get in no matter how good the locks are if they're determined. It's to keep people honest. Most people don't want to commit a crime by bypassing a lock so they don't do it even if it's trivially easy to do so.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Taril
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
why do people in this world bother with locking things?

Same reason people in real life lock things.

Keep honest people out.

I learned something today. Perhaps I already knew it, but seeing it spelled out like this makes a difference.

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard