Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
But a big part of it is that I really want this to be a genuine Forgotten Realms story and setting with immersion and cohesive and intelligent characters and companions. I want to FEEL like I'm really in the Forgotten Realms world, and I want to NOT have to pretend that I'm just a naive fool MC and that my companions are NOT terrible liars and obviously evil. In many ways, they've done this, but in others they have fallen horribly short.

As I said before: this attempt may end up being a serviceable game in its own right, but it will endure as a poor Baldur's Gate/Forgotten Realms experience that is derivative of other unrelated computer game series.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
But a big part of it is that I really want this to be a genuine Forgotten Realms story and setting with immersion and cohesive and intelligent characters and companions. I want to FEEL like I'm really in the Forgotten Realms world, and I want to NOT have to pretend that I'm just a naive fool MC and that my companions are NOT terrible liars and obviously evil. In many ways, they've done this, but in others they have fallen horribly short.

As I said before: this attempt may end up being a serviceable game in its own right, but it will endure as a poor Baldur's Gate/Forgotten Realms experience that is derivative of other unrelated computer game series.

Can you explain why ?

Turn base aside (deal with it), the biggest difference with the old game in my opinion is the "feel like we're really in the FR world".
The old games tried to be coherent despite being a video game while BG3 is shouting video game at every corner.

If BG3 was globaly more immersive in its world (may include physic, vfx, map design,...) I would really not understand the "DoS" complaints anymore.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 03/08/22 03:07 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
I personally would like to have an enjoyable "evil" play-through, but the current evil path is too chaotic stupid to do so.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by cool-dude01
I personally would like to have an enjoyable "evil" play-through, but the current evil path is too chaotic stupid to do so.

What do you recommend? How would you make the evil playthrough better?

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by Ragitsu

Can you explain why ?

Turn base aside (deal with it), the biggest difference with the old game in my opinion is the "feel like we're really in the FR world".
The old games tried to be coherent despite being a video game while BG3 is shouting video game at every corner.

If BG3 was globaly more immersive in its world (may include physic, vfx, map design,...) I would really not understand the "DoS" complaints anymore.

I started out with turn-based (Gold Box games), Forgotten Realms did that WAY before DOS.

It is definitely the atmosphere and tone that is a RADICAL departure from the series, and not just with the origin characters.

This game reflects too well our own increasingly hopeless and broken world, not the rich awesome fantasy setting that we could escape to for some much needed downtime.

In BG1 and 2, even villains had a greater sense of civility.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Exactly. It remainds me of a jester who you can't get mad at because it's his job to make fun at people's expense. Like don't you see the cap and bells? He's a jester, relax and have fun!

So here these in-your-face vulgar reminders that this is just a video game, a model, not a real world serve (as the jester's cap) as the pro-active defence I think. Like the game is so self-aware, how can you critisize it? It does it itself. Which is cool. So just have fun.

enthusiast
enthusiast
BG3 has the closest feel to D&D of any computer game I've played.
It allows outside the box thinking to beat encounters including using verticality, sneaking, interacting with objects, interacting with the environment, disguises, persuasion, splitting the party, and non lethal combat. The world is so much more dynamic than any CRPG that I've ever played.

BG3 has allowed me to re-create (at least to level 4) virtually every D&D character I've played since 2nd edition. (Except of course Monks and Paladins)
I usually play online with friends and it's an absolute blast.

If I could change anything about the game I would divorce the plot from long rests. The most long rests I've ever used in a play-through is 7 so even though I've played over 1000 hours of early access I've never seen a companion's entire story. Before I started playing online with friends I didn't even know there were dream sequences.

The few times I did a zero long rest play through the game broke at the end when the plot requires you to long rest after rescuing Haslin and taking him back to the grove.
The game had no clue what cut-scene to run.

Yes BG3 allows me to play how I like.
The time pressure in the plot forces me to rest as little as possible, which means I'm often adventuring at low health with little or no spell slots which forces me to use every scroll and potion in my possession.
The party size keeps combat challenging and gives tons of variety in party composition.
BG3 allows for creativity and multiple ways of solving encounters which is the essence of D&D.

old hand
old hand
After they toned down surface warfare and adjusted hp and difficulty of some mobs, by and large, yes. I choose option 2 because I don't like the style of many of the armors plus their restricted variety plus the gender differences of armor and without Basket Full of Equipment mod I would not play.

addict
addict
(Lae'zel should like me more for completing her quest to get to the gith patrol, and if I do a few things in between that she maybe doesn't like as much, the amount of relationship points for doing her quest far exceeds the minor conversation choices I made on situations she really couldn't care less about - like saving Sazza in the tiefling prison.)

+1

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard