Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 81 of 81 1 2 79 80 81
Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: fireflame] #731976
10/11/20 09:32 PM
10/11/20 09:32 PM
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 3
H
hrsr Offline
stranger
hrsr  Offline
stranger
H

Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 3
RTWP or realtime with autopause whatever you want to call that, like in baldurs gate 1 and 2 is preferable anything else is too slow, you are wasting time, you are watching the monitor/tv for other npcs to take their sweet time, the current system is ALREADY too slow in combat with more than 4 hostiles/adversaries ,the attack/defense @ the damned druid grove, or the goblin camp or the underdark , goood grief.......awfully sssllloowwww.( only because of the current system )

i hate watching other npcs take their whatever to do whatnot and 'plot their next move.." ,especially since the first 2 games had rtwp at any rate realtime combat with pause is needed, NOT as a replacement but as an option/alternate option to the current one.

Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: hrsr] #733500
13/11/20 06:17 AM
13/11/20 06:17 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Strix Offline
stranger
Strix  Offline
stranger

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by hrsr
RTWP or realtime with autopause whatever you want to call that, like in baldurs gate 1 and 2 is preferable anything else is too slow, you are wasting time, you are watching the monitor/tv for other npcs to take their sweet time, the current system is ALREADY too slow in combat with more than 4 hostiles/adversaries ,the attack/defense @ the damned druid grove, or the goblin camp or the underdark , goood grief.......awfully sssllloowwww.( only because of the current system )

i hate watching other npcs take their whatever to do whatnot and 'plot their next move.." ,especially since the first 2 games had rtwp at any rate realtime combat with pause is needed, NOT as a replacement but as an option/alternate option to the current one.

Can you be a little more constructive?
Why do you think that developers should spend precious development time adding real-time combat mechanics with active pause?
Better to spend this time improving existing mechanics and fixing bugs.
In fact.
BG3 was released with turn-based battles. Most of those who bought and went through Early Access loved it. This is indicated by both the Larian poll and the reviews in Steam.

So far, all the "hype" around the turn-based battles in BG3 looks like trolling from a small group of people who just want to get angry at something. And it saddens me.

Last edited by Strix; 13/11/20 01:46 PM.
Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: Strix] #734180
14/11/20 02:01 PM
14/11/20 02:01 PM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 37
D
DarkRob316 Offline
apprentice
DarkRob316  Offline
apprentice
D

Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by Strix
Originally Posted by hrsr
RTWP or realtime with autopause whatever you want to call that, like in baldurs gate 1 and 2 is preferable anything else is too slow, you are wasting time, you are watching the monitor/tv for other npcs to take their sweet time, the current system is ALREADY too slow in combat with more than 4 hostiles/adversaries ,the attack/defense @ the damned druid grove, or the goblin camp or the underdark , goood grief.......awfully sssllloowwww.( only because of the current system )

i hate watching other npcs take their whatever to do whatnot and 'plot their next move.." ,especially since the first 2 games had rtwp at any rate realtime combat with pause is needed, NOT as a replacement but as an option/alternate option to the current one.

Can you be a little more constructive?
Why do you think that developers should spend precious development time adding real-time combat mechanics with active pause?
Better to spend this time improving existing mechanics and fixing bugs.
In fact.
BG3 was released with turn-based battles. Most of those who bought and went through Early Access loved it. This is indicated by both the Larian poll and the reviews in Steam.

So far, all the "hype" around the turn-based battles in BG3 looks like trolling from a small group of people who just want to get angry at something. And it saddens me.


I dont think you can really say that man. While I agree that its probably not realistic to expect that RTWP will be part of the game, and I also agree that the game works really well with turn based combat, I dont think its fair to say that the people wanting RTWP are coming from a place of dishonesty, or that their intentions boil down to trolling.

It may be a small group of people, but its more likely they are longtime fans of the series and its what theyve always known. Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were RTWP. Its not out of the realm of the reasonable for longtime fans to have expected that a game called "Baldurs Gate 3" would be similar mechanically to the previous iterations.

You arent wrong in what you say, at some point, those people are going to have to come to grips with the fact that BG3 is different, and either accept and embrace it, or move on.
But trolling? No I dont think so. There are passionate viewpoints on both sides.

One could say that dismissing their opinions as trolling is equally not constructive.


Last edited by DarkRob316; 14/11/20 02:06 PM.
Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: fireflame] #734978
16/11/20 07:41 AM
16/11/20 07:41 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 37
U
UnknownEvil Offline
apprentice
UnknownEvil  Offline
apprentice
U

Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 37
I can again only stress that most of this discussion is about opinion and preferrence. Some prefer TB some RT.

It would indeed be much more helpful for the games progress to look for ways to improve the existing system.

That said:

I also agree that the actual combat sometimes seems pretty slow, especially when doing fights all over again for the x-th time. The AI is taking sweet time to decide what to do.

For one i would go for simultaneous movement of same turn characters. That could reduce waiting times a lot, especially in larger encounters.

(since i did not manage to read all 80 pages, sorry if this was mentioned already)

Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: DarkRob316] #734996
16/11/20 08:54 AM
16/11/20 08:54 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Strix Offline
stranger
Strix  Offline
stranger

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by DarkRob316

Originally Posted by Strix
Originally Posted by hrsr
RTWP or realtime with autopause whatever you want to call that, like in baldurs gate 1 and 2 is preferable anything else is too slow, you are wasting time, you are watching the monitor/tv for other npcs to take their sweet time, the current system is ALREADY too slow in combat with more than 4 hostiles/adversaries ,the attack/defense @ the damned druid grove, or the goblin camp or the underdark , goood grief.......awfully sssllloowwww.( only because of the current system )

i hate watching other npcs take their whatever to do whatnot and 'plot their next move.." ,especially since the first 2 games had rtwp at any rate realtime combat with pause is needed, NOT as a replacement but as an option/alternate option to the current one.

Can you be a little more constructive?
Why do you think that developers should spend precious development time adding real-time combat mechanics with active pause?
Better to spend this time improving existing mechanics and fixing bugs.
In fact.
BG3 was released with turn-based battles. Most of those who bought and went through Early Access loved it. This is indicated by both the Larian poll and the reviews in Steam.

So far, all the "hype" around the turn-based battles in BG3 looks like trolling from a small group of people who just want to get angry at something. And it saddens me.


I dont think you can really say that man. While I agree that its probably not realistic to expect that RTWP will be part of the game, and I also agree that the game works really well with turn based combat, I dont think its fair to say that the people wanting RTWP are coming from a place of dishonesty, or that their intentions boil down to trolling.

It may be a small group of people, but its more likely they are longtime fans of the series and its what theyve always known. Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were RTWP. Its not out of the realm of the reasonable for longtime fans to have expected that a game called "Baldurs Gate 3" would be similar mechanically to the previous iterations.

You arent wrong in what you say, at some point, those people are going to have to come to grips with the fact that BG3 is different, and either accept and embrace it, or move on.
But trolling? No I dont think so. There are passionate viewpoints on both sides.

One could say that dismissing their opinions as trolling is equally not constructive.


I agree. Perhaps I did not put it that way.
I meant people who want developers to do real-time battles, but do not give objective arguments why this should be done.
And I was talking about "hype" in the entire information space.
While writing a message on the Steam forum. There, a very large part of the argument sounds like "I want". And all this goes in a circle.
And it looks like trolling to me.

Last edited by Strix; 16/11/20 08:56 AM.
Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: fireflame] #735027
16/11/20 11:19 AM
16/11/20 11:19 AM
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 37
U
UnknownEvil Offline
apprentice
UnknownEvil  Offline
apprentice
U

Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 37
This has been going on for quite a while now and as mentioned before, it is a matter of opinion and preferrence. I played BG1 and 2 because i love AD&D/D&D and played every game i knew of. My first game was Pool of radiance on the C64. I really dislike RT combat, active pause or not yet i still played the BG series and Icewind Dale-if i remember correctly planescape:torment also has RT combat (awesome story btw).
I was positivly happy to see BG3 having TB combat. Last time was ToEE and the remake of pool of radiance if i remember correctly.

It all goes down to me preferring TB over RT.

What would really help is a comment of the development team if there is a chance of getting an RT option or not.

You could always limit the input times for your turn and have the character act on his next "turn". That could get pretty close to real time without losing the actual TB feeling completly.

Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: fireflame] #737703
22/11/20 02:17 AM
22/11/20 02:17 AM
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
H
Half Alive Ice Offline
stranger
Half Alive Ice  Offline
stranger
H

Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
I really like the TB system. Though in the interest of full disclosure, I've never played BG1 or 2; I was recommended BG3 EA because I like D&D so much. So I thought it really captured the experience of playing D&D for me. To be honest - and maybe I'm just a baby - but I've recently been playing Dragon Age 2 as well and the RTwP system is really confusing for me and it's kind of hard for me to pay attention to everything that's going on :\ What I end up doing is just playing it in RT like a hack and slash but then I don't really command my party unless I'm in a pinch. I personally prefer the level of control I get with TB.

That said, when fighting the goblin camp, it was painful waiting for all the goblins to take their turn, lol. It would be cool if enemies grouped together in the queue could take their turns simultaneously as was suggested earlier in the thread.

Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: fireflame] #737858
22/11/20 01:07 PM
22/11/20 01:07 PM
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 825
Belgium
Maximuuus Offline
old hand
Maximuuus  Offline
old hand

Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 825
Belgium
Dragon Age 2 is the worst exemple of RTWP games^^

Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: Maximuuus] #737898
22/11/20 03:01 PM
22/11/20 03:01 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 999
Massachusetts, USA
kanisatha Offline
old hand
kanisatha  Offline
old hand

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 999
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Dragon Age 2 is the worst exemple of RTWP games^^

This may or may not be true. But regardless, I found DA2 combat to be both easy and fun. The only issue in DA2 was having to fight cookie-cutter mobs again and again, which is an issue completely separate from the combat system.

Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: kanisatha] #737938
22/11/20 04:32 PM
22/11/20 04:32 PM
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 825
Belgium
Maximuuus Offline
old hand
Maximuuus  Offline
old hand

Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 825
Belgium
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Dragon Age 2 is the worst exemple of RTWP games^^

This may or may not be true. But regardless, I found DA2 combat to be both easy and fun. The only issue in DA2 was having to fight cookie-cutter mobs again and again, which is an issue completely separate from the combat system.


To be honnest, I only remember DA2 as an action RPG, not a RTWP RPG.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/11/20 04:39 PM.
Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: Maximuuus] #738224
Yesterday at 03:06 PM
Yesterday at 03:06 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 999
Massachusetts, USA
kanisatha Offline
old hand
kanisatha  Offline
old hand

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 999
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Dragon Age 2 is the worst exemple of RTWP games^^

This may or may not be true. But regardless, I found DA2 combat to be both easy and fun. The only issue in DA2 was having to fight cookie-cutter mobs again and again, which is an issue completely separate from the combat system.


To be honnest, I only remember DA2 as an action RPG, not a RTWP RPG.

Honestly for me, I don't understand this at all. People constantly make these kinds of distinctions, and I don't get those distinctions at all. For me, whether a game is "action" or not has nothing to do with whether or not it is an RPG. I have a very specific understanding of what makes a game an RPG, and a game having action elements to it doesn't necessarily take away anything from its RPG nature.

Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: fireflame] #738267
Yesterday at 05:15 PM
Yesterday at 05:15 PM
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 825
Belgium
Maximuuus Offline
old hand
Maximuuus  Offline
old hand

Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 825
Belgium
Action RPG >< RTwP RPG

Both are RPG, I never said something else smile

Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: Maximuuus] #738321
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 999
Massachusetts, USA
kanisatha Offline
old hand
kanisatha  Offline
old hand

Joined: May 2019
Posts: 999
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Action RPG >< RTwP RPG

Both are RPG, I never said something else smile

Yes but action and RTwP are not mutually exclusive. An RPG (for example, DA2) can be both (or neither).

Re: ragin debate: active pause vs turn per turn [Re: fireflame] #738392
Yesterday at 11:29 PM
Yesterday at 11:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 6
D
dilldappel Offline
stranger
dilldappel  Offline
stranger
D

Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 6
Action RPG >< RTWP RPG, for me is not the essential question for me. More imported are better controls to have more fluid gameplay. Now gameplay hurts, because is too difficult to manage the team. I am sure the controls works fine, nobody asking about arpg ore rtwp rpg

Page 81 of 81 1 2 79 80 81

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.2