Originally Posted by TheHero
My PC rig:
Mainboard supports PCI 3.0
i5-4670k OC@4100 MHz from 3800MHz original Clock
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
16 GB Ram DDR 3 Ram
2560 x 1440, 59Hz

SSD: 870EVO 4 TB (not an nvme)

I thought the freezes would be related to the bottlenecking by CPU and loading a lot of assets to avoid loading screens in larger areas.
In my case the minimum CPU Requirement should be met because the requirement of an i5-4690 is just the same CPU with only standard clocked with 3900 MHz. Everthing inside is just same. Only difference is that i OCed mine to 4100.

The Freezes started around patch 7 or 8 in Early access and where persistent in patch 9 too.
What changed ofver the patches is that more grafical details where implemented and thus Textures lload is higher.
This is what i assume.

But so far no one at Larian gave some insight to this freezing issues.
I really do hope they are gone in release version. Its too annoying on my PC when i get those freezes between 30 sec to one minute. Depending on how many NPCs and complexity of Level Geometry are in the general Area and needed to be loaded in.

Can somebody confirm this?
Or better a software solution to this freezing, implemented pls!

I can confirm having the same issues with i5-6500 CPU. Short, 5-10s freezes, happening randomly, sometimes more, sometimes less often. I can see the game's CPU usage goes close to max during those moments.

Sometimes the game can go on for up to 30 minutes without any freezes, but eventually it always starts freezing, regardless of the settings (I tried probably all combinations). Apart from the freezes the game runs perfectly fine on ultra.

I tried all the proposed solutions: different resolutions, windowed/fullscreen, lowest possible graphic settings, capping framerate/refresh rate, DX11 client, running as admin and/or in compatibility mode, with or without Steam launcher, full game reinstall, updating all chipset and graphic drivers, turning off all other programs, and several other solutions found online, but nothing helps.

I had those isses with EA many months ago already and put the game down back then due to this. Now came back to check again before the release and it is still not fixed. It makes me worried for the release.

Edit: I am also pretty sure this is not caused by faulty RAM or SSD, because I replaced both recently and still experiencing same issues.

Last edited by Spirral; 23/07/23 10:42 AM.
Falagar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
It turns out that my issue of the freezing/pausing then resuming still remains. I thought it was an OBS issue taking up CPU power or something but no. After awhile (could be 10 minutes, could be 30), it'll still pause and resume regardless if I have OBS open or not. Now I will admit, it seems to be not nearly as bad as let's say a few years ago in EA, but the fact is, this is still an issue. Being a turned base combat game & honestly not a fast paced game to begin with, I suppose I can manage so it's not a HUGE deal, BUT with that being said, I'd still rather it not happen. I have a Youtube ASMR exploration video of Baldur's Gate coming out this Thursday, you guy guys are more than welcome to check it out just to verify if it's the same thing, or similar to what you are all experiencing. I'll leave the link down below as well as my Youtube channel link, but keep in mind, the video won't be made public until July 27th.

Baldur's Gate III exploration video with the freezing:

My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC04cQB_hUQPnGKBzxmhGySQ

Sorry for the shameless plug.

Tried the fixes in this thread, still no dice. Made sure I was above the min specs for release, no issues there, so kind of baffled considering the apparent utter lack of rhyme or reason.

addict
addict
I too have had this freeze for a second or so, then game on, awhile later freeze.. game on.

I have no Idea, my computer I built with the help of my nephew. I really didnt need a new one but my CPU was lower than spec, so I bought a new mother board CPU/GPU and lucky for me he had some extra RAM so my specs are at recommended and some. And I still get freeze toes

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
F
stranger
stranger
F
I'm having the same freezings too, and been trying to fix it but no success.
After contacting BG3 Support they told me this:

"Thank you for the update. There will be optimisations in the full release for disk and memory usage, so hopefully that will help. There were quite a few updates and changes in each of the major patches, including to graphical effects and the lighting system in patch 7."

S
stranger
stranger
S
Are these problems already noticeable at the beginning or only later in the game? For example at the beach after the Nautiloid?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Solagon
Are these problems already noticeable at the beginning or only later in the game? For example at the beach after the Nautiloid?

After the Nautiloid, there is a couple instance on the nautiloid, however that's just the game doing a quick save. However they feel the same if that makes sense

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
S
stranger
stranger
S
Today I replaced my CPU and mainboard and the issue is gone. Looks like there is some issue with certain Intel processors or my old CPU (i5 6500) was simply not good enough.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Falagar
Baldur's Gate III exploration video with the freezing

I watched the video. I saw a DLSS option in your graphic settings. I also have an Nvidia GPU (3060Ti) but there is no DLSS option. That's wierd.
[Edit] I found the reason for the missing DLSS option. In the NVidia driver settings I had Image scaling/sharpening active.

During the game I never had any problems with dice rolls or with the recognition of chat options when clicking on them or any freezes. However, I did not go further than the Druid Grove.

My computer specs:
1080p, 60 Hz, graphic ultra settings

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - Driver 536.67
Drive: SSD

Last edited by Solagon; 27/07/23 05:20 PM.
Falagar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you for that. I hope this gets optimized upon final release. This is the only game I have this issue.

Falagar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks so much my friend. I hope this really is the issue, it sounds like it is. I read somewhere that it could possibly be not optimized for Ryzen, or maybe the Nvidia RTX video card, not sure. But in any case, hopefully this gets resolved upon final release as it appears we are not the only ones, and our rigs are pretty good.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I'm having random freeze out of nowhere. Played first Friday after lunch for about 6 hours no problem no I can't play without it freezing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
RELEASEVERSION:

So far in Act 1 the Freezes are a lot less happening. Also ingames is an option for Slow HDD setting. Thank you for this Optimization, Larian Studios.
Really nice of you to include us old PC guys smile

So far Game is feeling fluently enough.
Lets see what will happen when i reach the city of Baldurs Gate, how my PC will perform there.

Falagar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I am glad the game seems to be working well now for folks with lower end PC's, I believe myself included. I'm not tech saavy so I'm not sure where mine falls exactly. In any case, for those still having some issues with it, I found a fix that works perfectly...ZERO freezing/pausing like before. First and foremost of course, make sure the game is installed on an SSD drive and you have at least an extra 100 to 200 GB free for good measure (not sure if that does anything but it's what I did). And I explain the rest in the video:

Falagar Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Glad it is working well my friend laugh

C
stranger
stranger
C
I did a fresh install and still got freezing after several hours. Now it is freezing randomly. I have an i9-10900k and a 3090. I have plenty of space on my nvme so I can't figure out what the issue is.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Sounds like paging. Close some other apps.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I closed almost everything. CPU utilization drops and same with GPU when it freezes. This is also the only game I have this issue with.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard