Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
I have not found how to move hotbar icons between the first page (rows 1-2) and the second page (rows 3-4).

My first, ridiculously mad method consisted in reducing-then-augmenting the size of the hotbar (which I always have at max-length) until what I want from page 2 show up. It's not even clear to me what locations from page 2 get pushed to page 1 after I reduce-then-augment the size.

Later, I figured out that I could remove stuff from the hotbar, go to inventory/spellbook (whatever I need) and drag the thing I want in the position I want in the first page. This is still maddeningly tedious.

Surely there are better ways, no ?

C
CMF Offline
C
I personally hated the auto clutter of disposable items on my hot bar and deactivated the option to have them auto populate. After that you can assign items by dragging them from your bag or spell book to the bar. Dragging from hotbar 1 to hotbar 2 seems more work than just opening hotbar 2 and dragging the arrow or spell or grenade you wanted on the hotbar.

Now the ability to expand the hotbar to show 3+ rows as well as multiple columns may be nice.

What I did find myself doing is having spell level 1's across the top row and then right below I would have level 2 spells of the same magic right below (started originally stretching across in sequence, level 1 level 2 spell of same type, but quickly became unorganized and not "OCD" pleasing.

If there is a potion or throwable I want to use I just open my bag and double click it there. Helps with the clutter in the hotbar. Not the answer you were looking for, but just a suggestion.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn

Later, I figured out that I could remove stuff from the hotbar, go to inventory/spellbook (whatever I need) and drag the thing I want in the position I want in the first page. This is still maddeningly tedious.

This is the only way I have found to do it too. Super tedious.

Also, if you can't have multiple instances of the same thing on different pages. A spell etc always removes from page 1 when you add it to page 2. Minor annoyance.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Ok, thanks for the answers.

I just want to make sure, before submitting feedback, that I didn't merely fail to find how to do a thing. Though obviously, if I fail to find how to do something, it somehow means that instead of a lack of feature, it's a lack of the game teaching me how to play it.

Also, the hotbar is a big bad design at the moment, and I hope Larian changes that UI system in depth. So much so that switching icons from one page of something to another won't be remotely needed.
But still, I wanted to check before complaining about how impractical the current system is.

(@CMF : yeah, I deactivated all auto-populate. Still, for a character like Shadowheart, between her spells and some food, I tend to haver her hotbar full.)

G
guy Offline
G
agree. Vote plus one. Hotbar needs alot of work

stranger
stranger
+10

addict
addict
+1
Although it is endurable, having an option to see all the hotbars at once to manage them would be a QOL improvement.

Also, like other have suggested before : a spells hotbar versus a consumables hotbar to make the auto-populate function less of a mess.

addict
addict
I have not found how to move hotbar icons between the first page (rows 1-2) and the second page (rows 3-4).

My first, ridiculously mad method consisted in reducing-then-augmenting the size of the hotbar (which I always have at max-length) until what I want from page 2 show up. It's not even clear to me what locations from page 2 get pushed to page 1 after I reduce-then-augment the size.

Currently? No. In the future...this is only 1 of many issues needing love related to the action bars.

veteran
veteran
I wish they had an UI similar to Pathfinder:Kingmaker
3 menues that can be opened, one for spells, one for class abilities and one for usable items.

Even better would be the spell menu from NWN2.

The current menu will be even worse at higher levels. You have 9 spell levels and a level 1 spell could be cast as any of those levels.
This means you have 9 icons for each lv1 spell, 8 icons for each lv2 spells and so on.

The NWN2 spell menu (which can be opened or hidden) shows you each spell once at its base level and with the highten meta magic you could cast it at any higher level.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand

So for me I turned off all the auto features for the bar. Manually adjust spells / abilities how i see fit (usually splitting cantrips/abilities/1stlvlspells/2ndlvlspells. on the top right side of the bar ill put a backpack at the end and move all my pots, scrolls, poisons, etc in it.click bag on bar and right click item i want to use, if you left click it'll pop it out of bag or something stupid like that. Best I came up with when i was playing.

Last edited by fallenj; 18/11/20 11:47 PM.
O
stranger
stranger
O
+1 Vote for fixing
However it appears one is to be using 'R' and 'F' in the future to move Hot bars to / from hot bar sets - from what I gathered from Key mapping.

Link Copied to Clipboard