Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#776606 12/06/21 06:00 AM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Never understood why helmets in CRPGs did stuff like offer a bonus to saves or whatever. Helmets also should not just cancel Critical Hits. If you are hit in the head with a hammer, a helmet can help, but it is still more of an effective hit.

I suggest leather caps, if you are even going to use helmets as gear in BG3 should provide Resistance to Slashing or piercing damage on Critical Hits only, and only applied to the Critical Hit Dice. Metal helmets should provide the same but for all weapon types. Magic Critical Hits would be dealt as normal.

In other words, Kaedyn is wearing a Leather cap. He is Critically Hit with a longsword. Normally, without cap, damage would be 2d8+2. Enemy rolls a 3 and a 5. So, without cap, damage would be 10. But, cap cuts the second die only in half. Thus, 3 and 2 for a total of 7 damage. Still more damage, just reduced.

Likewise, Vexir is wearing a metal helmet and is hit with a hammer. Crit. 2d8+2 for damage with a normal Crit. However, helmet halves the second die even with a hammer. So, same damage results.

GM4Him #776614 12/06/21 09:30 AM
veteran
veteran
I have no strong feelings in this matter one way or another ...
I just wonder if our characters that are wearing metal helmet, should not have perception disadvantage, or some debuff to outweight protection ... after all, almost every helmet i even seen at least a little bit reduced sight.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
GM4Him #776675 12/06/21 09:13 PM
veteran
veteran
This is the kind of fine tuning that could be done after the basics are right.

It doesn't matter how helmets behave mechanically as long as combat is just about high ground and cheesing in various ways. Nothing does.

Mechanically, I'd like helmets to have some kind of tradeoff. So that NOT wearing a helmet could also be a good option. It's silly if every mage or rogue in leather wear a full metal helmet for protection just because they can.

I don't like the "hide helmet" feature either. If someone wears a helmet it needs to show. Maybe it's significant mechanically or to reveal a faction or something. You might as well have a "hide armor" feature to make your full plate look like a chainmail bikini. If not wearing a helmet had a mechanical reason, you would have less reason to hide them.

GM4Him #776682 12/06/21 09:28 PM
O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Sorry I'm not going to bother going to look up myself, but do helmets innately have the bonuses in 5e that they do in BG3 or is this more Larian homebrew?

GM4Him #776683 12/06/21 09:39 PM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Larian homebrew. Helmets are not gear in 5e. It's just expected that you are likely wearing one if you have a suit of armor.

GM4Him #776689 12/06/21 10:31 PM
old hand
old hand
There are magic items that can be attuned to as helmets, but the helmets stopping crits is a thing from BG1+2 I think (I might be remembering wrong). It is homebrew but I don't mind it too much cause there is precedent, however if it turns out to be too unbalanced I wouldn't be sad to see it gone

RagnarokCzD #776690 12/06/21 10:32 PM
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I have no strong feelings in this matter one way or another ...
I just wonder if our characters that are wearing metal helmet, should not have perception disadvantage, or some debuff to outweight protection ... after all, almost every helmet i even seen at least a little bit reduced sight.

A perception disadvantage would be a good idea for helmets. Gain the advantage of no crits, but lose perception. Sounds like a fair trade off.

CJMPinger #776692 12/06/21 10:37 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
There are magic items that can be attuned to as helmets, but the helmets stopping crits is a thing from BG1+2 I think (I might be remembering wrong). It is homebrew but I don't mind it too much cause there is precedent, however if it turns out to be too unbalanced I wouldn't be sad to see it gone

This is correct. Helmets in Bg1 and 2 prevented critical hits, but for some reason did not help enemies wearing them.

As in Bg1 and Bg2 many hardcore AD&D players complained about this homebrew change and many others that Bioware made in regards to these games.

Its almost...like...history is...repeating itself.

Blackheifer
Blackheifer #776699 12/06/21 11:11 PM
veteran
veteran
e.
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
As in Bg1 and Bg2 many hardcore AD&D players complained about this homebrew change and many others that Bioware made in regards to these games.

Some changes Bioware made were extremely stupid, indeed.
Like when they forgot to give bows a penalty if used at close range in BG1 and as a result "GIVE EVERYONE A BOW AND SHOOT WHILE YOUR SUMMONS TANK IN FIRST LINE" became the most exploitable strategy in the entire game.
It made cakewalk even dealing with the final boss.

I think they fixed this in the EE, though.

Last edited by Tuco; 12/06/21 11:12 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Blackheifer #776713 13/06/21 01:16 AM
P
addict
addict
P

It does have a way of doing that.

Blackheifer #776723 13/06/21 02:40 AM
O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by CJMPinger

This is correct. Helmets in Bg1 and 2 prevented critical hits, but for some reason did not help enemies wearing them.

Thank you both it has been to long.

Ok I'm actually glad then that it is in fact a homebrew because I'm not a fan of it myself, especially in regards to stopping crits. Turning cirts off with headgear doesn't make sense to me mechanically since crit does not equal headshot, but also if you can just buy everyone a cheap hat and remove crits from your party's concerns why bother with crits at all.

I'm sure a good 5e mod will fix this or have options. Personally I'm fine with helmets simply being another potential magic item slot &/or just a cosmetic thing. Not every piece of gear HAS to have innate abilities to it.

OcO #776735 13/06/21 04:15 AM
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by OcO
Thank you both it has been to long.

Ok I'm actually glad then that it is in fact a homebrew because I'm not a fan of it myself, especially in regards to stopping crits. Turning cirts off with headgear doesn't make sense to me mechanically since crit does not equal headshot, but also if you can just buy everyone a cheap hat and remove crits from your party's concerns why bother with crits at all.

I'm sure a good 5e mod will fix this or have options. Personally I'm fine with helmets simply being another potential magic item slot &/or just a cosmetic thing. Not every piece of gear HAS to have innate abilities to it.

I think it is more to do with them having to have gear with that stat, and the other gear is more focused on buffing other stats. I really doesn't matter if they put it on chest (though it would make more sense admittedly) or legs or head. They just have to provide certain stat changes on X number of gear for the game, especially in EA considering they are probably working on the spreadsheets still. It may change by the time live comes out. But if it is either magical gear, or premium gear (ie: colored gear) yes, it is standard to have stats on it.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 13/06/21 04:16 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard