This is part of the savegame misery

I just scored! I experienced my second major technical disappointment with this game, that being the savegames would not load (previous is the aura of command bug). Here is the info;
I BOUGHT divine divinity, played for some time (40+hrs), got the aura of command bug, patched to .32, played for awhile then eventually got tired of load times on the startup so i put on a nocd patch. worked great except for cut scenes. Everything was working fine for two weeks, lotsa play, lots n lots of saves. well, last night i got home from work and went to load my last quicksave and it said that it could not load because it was from a previous version. I reinstalled DD and did not patch it but to no avail. tonight i was checkin it out and on the load screen i see "V\.A" for the version! I noted that other working savegames had "V1.0032A" for the version, and they loaded fine. At this point, every save game i made produced a v\.a version which would not load.

so. i grab a hex editor (http://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/micro/pc/simtelnet//win95/editor/hexed2_2.zip) and get to work looking for the version info. there it was, in the file quickinfo.000. i located the string V\.A and replaced it with the correct string, V1.0032A, saved it, then sparked up DD. well, because the savegame was v.32 and i just reinstalled w/o patching, it did the 'crash to desktop' dealyo. so i patched the phuqr to .32 and the savegame loaded no problem!

i was about to kick some larian ass but looks like y'all get to live another day... heh heh! still can't use aura of command...

Another part of the savegame prob
After reading many posts on the savegame bug, I found out that the bug comes out with the patch (1.32 for sure , 1.31 is not supposed to have that bug). If you read out what are the new "features" installed with the patch, you can see that :

- "Saving now first happens to a temporary folder and only when it is completely successful does it remove the previous savegame that is being overwritten (if there is one)"
( from http://www.larian.com/Site/english/divinity/english.html )

wich was integrated to protect the save game to corrupt if game crash while saving. But there comes the major bug affecting us, the game DOESN'T
ALWAYS copy ALL savegame files (!!!!) wich cause the said savegame to be unloadable =(.

I think the only way to play with "good" saves is to play with version of the game that came BEFORE the implatation of this feature. If anyone knows where to et patch 1.31, please tell us where it can be dnloaded (I couldnt find somewhere i could get patch 1.31 )

And Raze to this topic
This problem is probably not exclusive to the 1.32 patch. However, the change in how games are saved may have increased the chances of this happening, which may be a problem with Windows, rather than the game directly.
I am familiar with a file manager which, on some systems, occasionally does not delete files when told to (i.e. when deleting a large number of files, it might miss 1 or 2 of them). It makes the call to Windows to delete the files, Windows puts this on its 'todo' list, tells the program the files have been deleted, then does not get around to actually deleting them. Something similar may be happening when Divinity is moving files from the temporary save folder.

And hopefully the last part of Raze's links
have made copies of saved games with different names and extracted saves from zip files, without any problems loading them (on the same computer). Were your saved games compressed? If so, you should have gotten an error during extraction if a file became corrupt either uploading or downloading.
Your computers don't have CD-Rs? Most systems I have seen recently with XP come with burners instead of CD-ROMs. Can you try zipping one saved game and emailing it to yourself (or zipping it across a few floppies)? That will at least let you know if there was a problem somewhere with the online storage process.

i have the same problem but iam sure that the files is good becuse i used a cd so what is the solution for this problem please help
IP: Logged

Check the attributes of the save game folder and the files within it (in Explorer select the folder / all files, right click, select Properties). Make sure the Read-Only attribute is cleared (no check mark). In a less than elegant fashion, the game will crash to desktop if the save game folder and/or files are marked as read-only.

Thanks Mohammed, had you not mentioned a CD-R, I would never have thought to check that. Hopefully that will fix the problem for both of you.

HI all,
I'm having a very similar problem with the crash to desktop in DD and other games as well (IL-2). The read-only fix is the only suggestion I've heard, but I can't get the box to STAY unchecked, whenever I click back, its checked in again and its always kind of grayed out. Any help? Its XP and I may be getting 2000 next week cuz I can get it cheap ($5). Any advice is much appreciated.

A greyed checkmark in the properties means some of the files are read-only and some are not. If you went through one at a time, they would be either clear or checked.
Do you have administrative rights in the profile you are using in XP? If if is the folder which stays marked as read-only, you can create a new folder and copy all the files from the save game folder.