It *is* impossible for me to write first perspective well and I am aware of that. Form the two I'd rather start writing descriptions that use "I" too much while narrating. Though I sincerely can't see any good reasons to describe every corridor, every cloak one of the main characters wears, etc. I believe that most corridors in medieval-like castles are rather alike and anyone with some imagination should handle the fact I won't tell him how this one looks if it is nothing out of ordinary.

[quote] Nothing gets someone killed faster than underestimating their enemy or taking their eyes off of a fight[/quote]

I know that, You do as well but this character is, how shall I put it, a total layman in terms of fighting and one that has a whole lot of self-esteem on top of that which might get him killed pretty easily.

[quote] I'd be wondering why the hero didn't nail him PDQ[/quote]

Oh well, perhaps You've met people with a following attitude: "I am the master of the art so I'll give that ^&%$^$ extra chances to make it more fun"? The only problem is, this hero *isn't* an expert fighter...