Okay, Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity have proven to be my favorite CRPGs. I've enjoyed every moment I've spent playing through the games and they're definitely games that I'll continue to play over and over. While Larian doubtlessly has the adventuring aspect of RPGs down (they nailed it in the original Divinity), there is one aspect that can be improved in future games and that will put the Divinity games beyond being labled as "Diablo II clones."

The combat of the games should be revamped. Every RPG like Divinity has the same combat engine. Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Sacred, Icewind Dale; they all have the same system where you merely click on the enemy and your character(s) attack. Perhaps Divinity 2 could have new depth added into this. Perhaps giving the player the ability to use different types of attacks such as an overhead attack, an attack to the middle of the enemy, an attack that hits the lower region of the enemy, and a block. First, the player would click on the enemy to engage the combat mode. The attack could then be specified using different keys on the keyboard. Depending on the stregnth of the armor that the enemy is using, different amounts of damage will be dealt based on the attack. First of all, there would be a major boost in the amount of strategy used in the game. Second, the game would become far less repetitive since there's more than the simple clicking on the enemy involved in combat.

This would not only add a ton of depth to the combat system, but also add something new to the genre which seems to be something that Larian is intent on doing. The major weakness of RPG games right now is the simplistic combat, and I think that by adding in a deeper combat system such as the one I described, Divinity 2 could be a far more interesting game.

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on the idea and (if I'm lucky), get some input from Larian.