[color:"orange"]you can easily find a complete and seemingly legal download.[/color]

I thought the most commonly available download was a hacked version, missing the intro and cutscenes? I found a couple download locations, one of which listed the file size as 19MB; AFAIR that is the same size as the download mentioned some time ago in another topic (possibly in the old forum).
Excluding DirectX, the LED Wars CD contents are 226MB and compression doesn't make a huge dent in that (224MB zip, 204MB 7z format). The full version is probably available somewhere (I bought it new off eBay a couple years ago, in a 2 CD, DVD case bundle with the FPS game Mortyr).

A quick search on eBay for L.E.D. Wars brings up a couple used copies, but searching for Mortyr gets one auction for a new copy of L.E.D. Wars / Mortyr (ends in 9 days; no bids; current price, including shipping to North America, is under $7).

As I recall, Lar said they considered releasing the game as legitimate freeware. However, they had switched compilers since creating the game, and there were too many compiler-specific idiosyncrasies to be able to track down all the errors that came up (in a reasonable amount of time) when they tried recompiling the game without the copy protection.