Originally Posted by thirion
when it comes to div1, it doesn't really matter on who get more status, what starting skills you got, or how do you look like. because in the end, not only they all have the same armory, but with the gems and all, they got the same status (700 life, 500 mana).

Not really. My mage had very different stats, and he didn't wear the dragon armour, if you're referring to it.

ofcorse nobody forces me to choose which skills i would like to play (exept the ghost walk at the swamp area :3 ) but if i make a mage, and wana add only warrior skills, whats the point of making warrior and a mage at the firstplace? that was the point wink

If you want to play someone with a magic training who discovers that he's much better at using weapons, you're free to do it. And as pointed out above, there is also a difference between a mage and a warrior character who both have the same warrior skills: As the warrior gets more life for each point invested in Vitality, he'll still be more effective in combat.

i remember that in div1, i tryed to mix all kind of skills, warrior sword man with mage skills..
in the end the warrior skills overpowered the mage skill in a way that i never had to use mage skills again. rogue skills are all the same in that case.
the only build that actualy benifet from mixing, warrior+rogue, is the archer build.

If you only think about the benefits, if you just try to optimize your character using every skill and every piece of equipment available, you're right. However, I think that there can be much more to a role-playing game. A little optimization can be fun, but I prefer to imagine a certain role and to act (and level up) according to it. With its open skill system, DD gives you more freedom in choosing roles, not just the 3 or 5 or 20 archetypes that other games offer. This doesn't mean that everyone has to pick the most powerful set of skills.

I wouldn't object to a better skill balance and some synergy effects, but since div2 will be a single-player game, skill balance isn't as vital as in a PvP game.