For me it is NOT necessary to kill Damian and be a great hero, but I love to be a hero too :hihi: ... and also a unexpect end is okay for me ...
Hopefully Larian make a great great follow-up!! laugh laugh

But there are many (for me) frustrated things:

* I am very sorry that you can not return to Farglow after you're in Brocken Valley and not return to the Fjords Orobas after entering the Hall of Echoes!

* And that there is so little to do in the city of Aleroth! frown

* the alchemy-skill I found much more fun in DD, also repair weapons be missing in D II ... and the skill "known creature" ... smirk
I find there're much fun skills in D II, but for me, in DD much more fun I have had with the skills!

* And that NPC Zandalor I find it a boring character! In DD Zandalor was much fun/better and have also a much better voice in DD!!! Many NPC's I found better in DD comparing with D II: ED!

I have a lot more sense to play again DD or BD than play D 2 over again, even though I have so many times replayed DD! grin

Sorry Larian, though I am a big fan of your games, D 2 disappoint me a little bit to much! frown frown

Conclusion:
personally I prefer Divine Divinity and find that game the best game Larian ever makes!
For me D3-dimensional or the last new graphically-technology isn't the most important thing in a game (but I also understand Larian make NO chance with a new D2-dimensionally game anno 2009/2010!! Gamers expect games with high graphical technology and so on!)
I love the gameplay and replayability of a game and for me DD has a great replayability, also after all these years!! grin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !