Originally Posted by Stargazer
Originally Posted by Setch Dreskar
It is still not a monopoly they don't control enough of the market in order to be considered as such, they need 100% control as I stated before...
The legislation which I linked and quoted above shows they only need 25% of the market as far as the UK is concerned.

If you are going to post a response, at least show the courtesy of reading and checking links that others supply.

...the US government will step in with the old 'trust buster' law and take the company apart to prevent a monopoly from ever happening again.
Wrong. Monopolies are not illegal - it is abuse of monopoly power that is. The US government does not break up every monopoly and there are several examples of legal monopolies still running today. Odds are that your computer is running an OS produced by one of them...
...what Steam is, is a brilliant distribution platform, that while having flaws, ensures a high level of feedback and profit for developers whoever they may be.
Any digital distribution system can offer better profits for developers. The issue here is about the conditions imposed on users. If you choose to ignore the risks posed by DRM such as Steam's, you'll only have yourself to blame should the worst come to pass.

Very well worded and very informative posting on your last few posts Stargazer.

The facts have been displayed in this very thread (thanks mainly to your posts) and people still refuse to take them onboard, as it seems they don't want them to be true, or is it that they don't want to be wrong ?

The human psyche never ceases to amaze me.

I've been told that I don't know what I'm talking about, that my definition of "monopoly" is flawed and that I must have slept through economics, strange when you take into account the fact that my business sense made me succesfull enough to retire very comfortably two years ago at the age of 41

To others:

The lesson to be learned here is that whilst you may not agree with what someone is telling you, and that you may doubt the authenticity of the statements that you are being presented with, you owe it to yourself and others to have a full understanding of the situation that you are about to argue about.

To argue the case for something purely because "thats the way you want things to be" or "thats what should happen anyway" will not make it so.

The information required to make learned decisions about nearly every topic under the sun has never been more readily at your fingertips and only takes seconds to aquire, its a mouseclick away.

Last edited by Knight Flyer; 11/12/10 01:20 PM.