Discrete graphics means it has a separate module that handles the graphics. The term dedicated isn't used anymore before graphics cards do more than just graphics now.

The specs on the unit you put together are actually quite good for the price.

You may also want to look at both HP and Dell. They have performance notebooks in this price range that you might want to check out as well; HP has the dv7 and Dell has their xps series. At this price point much of the decision will likely come down to looks, brand preference, and customer service.

I know... it looks like I'm trying to push you towards different brands. But they all offer similar specs. You mentioned you liked the look of a certain machine so I would look at their units with similar specs and see which unit you find looks better.

EDIT:
I was curious and I did do a little digging myself. The toshiba unit has the best balance of specs. The Dell is a bit more expensive, but has a more capable graphics card. The HP unit at the same price (as Dell) also had less specs on on CPU/memory but ATI graphics of comparable performance with Dell.

Last edited by candlebbq; 16/02/11 02:28 AM.