Thank you once again, candlebbq (btw, I like the idea of a candle bbq-- w/ marshmallows!).

I have recently remembered I switched graphic cards on my Dell desktop not too long after getting it (a few months... maybe a year or two?), the card I replaced the original with was an ATI card. I switched because there was a problem w/ the mouse (which came w/ the order) and some other graphical problems; the tech said there was a problem w/ the graphics card and to replace it. I did, but never did get the darned thing to work correctly! Thus, I have realized, I have a bad flavor for ATI, though perhaps it wasn't the problem.

You've made good points that can easily guide me in the decision making process. You're right, what was good economics back in the day (I started on computers before hard drives came about!) are no longer applicable w/ today's technology.

Okay, point 1) Figure out price range [which I've already done]. Got that. Point 2) Look at what works for me now, and what software I may use in the near future (3-5 years?).

I must admit I prefer the nVIDIA graphics, but using that brand came after the whole issue as mentioned above. I've had no conflicts this time around, w/ the nVIDIA on my laptop.

Hmmmmm... HP still worries me, but boy did that build look nice!

HP Build:

dv7t
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS; Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73 GHz 6MG L3 cache) w/ Turbo boost;
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 DDR3 graphics for quad core (this is one of my concerns--ATI)
8GB DDR3 system memory (2 DIMM)
640 GB 7200RPM HDD w/ HD protection
6 cell standard battery
17.3" diagonal HD+ LED BrightView Wide screen (1600x900)
TrueVision webcam & integrated mic
LightScribe Super Multi 8x DVD+/-RW w/ Double layer Support
Intel wireless N Card w/ Bluetooth
standard keyboard
Cyberlink DVD Suite Premium

+ additional 'options' that I 'need', such as a wireless all-in-one printer (& a cable, because it's not incl.), port replicator, external 640GB disk drive, auto (car) adapter, headset, speakers, 4 port USB hub, & backpack

Total: $1,891 (rounded up)

Dell

XPS 17

Specialized cover (it's a purtiful color)
Windows Pro 64-bit OS; Intel Core i5 (2.66GHz, 4 threads, turbo boost up to 3.2 GHz, 3M cache)
nVIDIA GeForce GT 435M 1GB graphics w/ Optimus (hey! There's that term you mentioned!)
8GB shared dual channel DDR3 memory
640 GB 7200rpm SATA hdd
Blu-ray disc BD-Combo (reads and writes to DVD/CD) w/ Roxio Easy CD&DVD burn
9 cell battery
backlit keyboard
Bluetooth
Recovery DVD for OS
DataSafe online backup 2GB for 1 year

extras
Netgear Push2TV Adapter; wireless mouse (mine is dying); docking station w/ VGA/DVI & Ethernet
1TB portable HDD; HDMI audio video cable; all-in-one wireless printer;

Total: $2,125 (rounded up)

The Toshiba build is on a 16" screen and was listed previously.

The Origins build... just got lost (apparently, I was multi-tasking a bit too much). But it was close to $3,000, and that was without extra booty!

Hum ho, must make a decision. . . someday. Probably sleep on it and do some more 'research' later.

Thanks again! thankyou

All best,
~~CierraShore wave
p.s.
Will be playing DKS for a long time to come, so long as I can transfer my DKS to the new comp! I downloaded from Larian store, so I'm hoping it'll be fairly simple to transfer to my new comp.

p.p.s.
I'm stressing about buying a computer, when I'm in the middle of buying a house, which is going to require me to find a washer and dryer and fridge. . . are my priorities slightly out of whack? silly

Last edited by CierraShore; 16/02/11 08:56 AM. Reason: p.p.s.

"I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have LOTS of lives!"