Larian currently has a couple RPG projects on the go. There has not been anything mentioned about possible add-ons.

Divinity 3 will be the end of this particular story arc, but I'm sure they'll keep making games set in Rivellon as long as they have story/game ideas and the previous games make enough money.

The base experience for combat does increase with higher level opponents. There is also an effect due to your relative level; an experience bonus defeating opponents a higher level than your character, and less experience when the opponents are more than one level lower (see the D2:ED topic xp points per level list? spoilers possible). The details were a little different in DD/BD, but they also had a relative level effect with experience from opponents (see this BD topic).

I found plenty of nice weapons early in the game. More equipment from opponents and containers wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

I'd rather not have level based restrictions on where you can go in the world. DD was more open than D2:ED/DKS, so I'm not sure why it was ok in DD but not in DKS.