In case I wasn't clear, my dissapointment (though I honestly think this word is much too strong for how I feel about this) is that there won't be a real alpha.

To understand where I come from one has to understand what an alpha is (at least in my mind): alpha software is where only the core is in place, major mechanics still need to be added or revised, bugs usually run rampant and most of the actual content is not in place yet.
Beta is where core mechanics have been ironed out, bugs reduced to a reasonable level and development kinda boils down to fine tuning, bugfixing and adding/testing content to reach a releasable state. By all accounts the state D:OS is in is already what I personally consider a beta, not an alpha.

Now, you usually don't want to show alpha software to the press or general public because it generally doesn't tend to get received very well, this is what quite a few Kickstarter/Early access games found out the hard way. So as a marketing move not giving access to actual alpha quality builds makes much sense. On the other hand this is where the game gets shaped and sweeping changes are still possible, as such input given and considered during alpha can have a much bigger impact on development direction than during a later stage.

So in effect I think it's a bit of a shame that we won't be able to comment as much on mechanics and possibly shape how they evolve.

Do note that I have all faith in Larian to deliver a solid product, so I won't be going around raging, threatening or demanding my money back or any other such nonsense (well, unless they try to turn this into Skyrim or some such nonsense*), I just thought the above would be a "feeling" that would apply to more of the more "dedicated" backers.

*please don't kill me for even bringing this up Swen... wink

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...