I actually would prefer many of the things you mention to be more oldschool. Like say making the automap rely on a cartography skill and requiring certain gear like a compass. But I don't pretend to be able to change the devs vision of what the game should be like, nor do I think it is my place to *try* to do so. I will however voice my opinion on the matter; I don't like easy way outs when it comes to the way the game is designed. The important part is that the game is fair. What I have seen of the game so far it seems to me that each road you travel goes in just the one direction; forcing you to go backwards inorder to go back home. You can't circle around through the woods on your way back home - thus the portals remove an annoying and contrived aspect of the game. Would I have prefered having to walk but being able to do so in a more "free" manner? Probably. Do I think that is neccessarily right for D:OS? Nope.

TL;DR I do prefer the suggested alternatives but I don't pretend that everyone would. I simply want to voice my opinion against *further* detachment from oldschool.