Certain containers in the game intentionally have good loot in them, and they will always have good loot in them every time they're opened. Now, if you save your game just prior to opening these chests, you can then reload the saved game and try your luck again if you don't like the results. You can keep doing this over and over and over again, and I really think many people probably do. All containers/corpses work this way, actually. While this is pointless to do with every container, doing this with certain known containers can yield impressive results.

Is this really the best way to implement loot seeding, or the best behavior to encourage? It's certainly easy to understand that upon opening one of these chests and receive something you have no use for, players can feel silly for not reloading their saved game and trying their luck again. Isn't it more preferable to not even allow that? Yes - I am asking you to police a bad habit. smile As I had to tell a friend a few sessions ago "Can we make this the last time you reload the game for a chest, please.. I don't want to spend this entire Divinity session re-rolling loot tables..". That was after 15 minutes of being hostage to gambling-induced boredom.

What I would prefer to see is this: no matter how many times we reload a saved game a container has exactly the same items as the previous reload. The contents can (and should) differ from one game to the next, but it shouldn't differ from one reload of the *same game* to the next.

I suppose a change like this opens the way to the abuse of lockpicking (i.e. save before opening a chest, and if the contents suck then reload the saved game and don't bother wasting a lockpick to open that chest). However, the types of chests I'm talking about here are generally filled with pricey items (even if they're not relevant to your needs) which sell for nice amounts of gold, and I have my doubts that players would pass up the opportunity to make some decent coin (especially if you start selling lockpicks on vendors for a reasonable price - hint, hint).