Originally Posted by daveyd
Originally Posted by Tanist

It surprises you there are people who like it? Really? People like Monty Python, does that surprise you as well?

I guess I have different expectations for this game genre. If I watch a comedy film (especially something like MP) I expect some silliness. I generally expect CRPGs to maintain a certain level of seriousness so I can lose myself in the fantasy world, instead of constantly being reminded that this is a game by slapstick humor, pop culture references, or 4th wall breaking. Of course it's a personal preference and as I've said it doesn't completely ruin the game for me, but I eagerly await a mod to make it a little less cartoonish.

I dunno, I've seen a ton of pop culture references in many CRPGs from Final Fantasy games to World of Warcraft to Diablo games, all over the place in every particular part of the vast genre. CRPG is a very vague term though, it means "video game RPG" and is used to distinguish between pen and paper and video games. It refers to all RPGs of all styles. If you're referring specifically to top down, isometric RPGs with more tactical combat, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 were loaded with silly humor.

I've seen no breaking of the fourth wall, which means a character directly addressing the audience. Perhaps you don't know what these terms you are using mean? The fourth wall doesn't really apply to video games anyway.

Last edited by silkforcalde; 01/07/14 07:40 PM.