Originally Posted by shmerl
Originally Posted by MadVandal

Looking at the last two sentences in part A of the Steam Subscriber Agreement:

----
The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software. To make use of the Software, you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.
----

Read that multiple times and it seems that termination of a Steam account not only locks one out of downloads but also strips your license to legally use anything previously downloaded...DRM free or not.

Good point. Steam's DRM codified.

Let me highlight the key part for you: "you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet." It does not say you ARE required, it says you MAY be required. Whether the Steam client is required to be running and/or an internet connection is up the developer/publisher of the software you are buying/running.

Originally Posted by shmerl
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
In the case of D:OS, terminating your Steam Account, you can still play the game.

(Or so I've been told, haven't tried it.)

I do know you don't have to have steam running at all to play D:OS.

You can (only in some cases, not in others), but according to Steam that would be illegal. GOG doesn't have such restriction because they aim to be DRM-free.

If the developer/publisher of a game doesn't use DRM on their game distributed through Steam, then you are still able to run the game with or without a Steam account or client running. The software you buy, no matter where you buy it, has its own EULA and TOS, and as long as you aren't violating those, you can legally play your DRM free game bought from Steam, without the Steam client, even if for some stupid reason you terminate your Steam account.

If you buy a game that does not have DRM in it, that means it's DRM free right? What does it matter where it's bought from? I think you're trying to claim it's not DRM Free from Steam because you have to download it from Steam using the Steam client. I've bought DRM free games from Amazon.com, and I had to first download and install the Amazon Games & Software Downloader before I could download the game. In your eyes, that means it's not DRM free because I had to install a download client from Amazon.com.