Originally Posted by henryv
Originally Posted by blazed
Originally Posted by BioSpirit
I made a mod for the Dragon Age: Origins called "Hilltop Under Siege" and it took somewhere around 400 to 500 hours of work to create the mod. I don't think that I would make the same deal again just to get a few people to congratulate.

/

Its not all bad though, I bought UE4 for onetime fee of $19 (no subscription updates) and all they want is 5% of whatever I make (if any). Sure I need to programme more and create more 3D props but the trade-off is so much better and so many opportunities left open, also much more educational value too. What they ask for is so very little for such a powerful game engine, CryEngine even removed their royalty all together, so at least some steps in the right direction.

This is actually what I'm for, at least modders get some share of their work. Free or not free, they still eat like normal human beings.

What I'm against is the official support from Larian as OP have suggested. We don't need the golden quality seal similarly with nintendo. Modders (or developers in this case) chose to sell their game at their own risk. They don't need to bring the name of Larian with them, only the name of the engine. ALso puttin manpower hours to checking the quality of the mod will be expensive and there will be numerous submission.

The only thing I'm concerned with is the terms between the modders/developers and Larian. It needs to be non-discriminatory and reasonable for both parties.

I suggested that it is controlled and curated directly by Larian studios for specific reasons - thinking in terms of mods specifically.

- To prevent sales of all kinds of things, many of those various "garbage" or who knows what, which would clog and suffocate the whole deal, which originally was supposed to present only works of quality worthy of such a deal.

- To make sure Larian studios benefits from that directly
1. Because those are their tools and assets we are using and it is all - worthy.
2. Because they would need to spent some resources, time and ork to set it up and evalue submitted works even with option of steam workshop being there as distribution channel and other services like it.

But sure guys, as Blazed said above, times have changed and now we do have Unreal engine selling for 20 bucks and 5% of profits, Cryengine for what... 10? - which i plan to use for my own game, linked in my signature, Unity is there of course and several others.

So... certainly. If Larian would go for such kind of a deal with their engine - by all means. Yes.
It can be done like that, or that can be an additional option beside this one with mods.

The big difference between the two being that when you are moding you get to play with all their tools, scripts, mechanics, assets, textures, models, effects, animations, dialogue editor, etc, etc, etc.

Which is why it may be worth considering specifically.