My biggest frustration with this bug is that I did not even choose to turn down Brandon's quest. My companion chose to and overrode me in the rock/paper/scissors game. I figured it was another thing like the Fabulous Five, so I didn't bother reloading to ensure a victory. Little did I know it would essentially cripple my ability to finish this game...

I've tried the fix mentioned above. Armillary's solution did nothing for me, but Leni's solution changed some of Brandon's dialogue. I then changed the 1d value listed above (it was 1e in both places), which gave me some weird dialogue. Brandon first told me "Fine, I won't share my secrets" (or whatever his exact words were) but then I had the dialogue option to continue the conversation as if I had accepted his request. I now have the Troll King quest, but my quest log under the Troll King now states (in this order [not exact words]) "We have found some Tenebrium to give to Brandon." "We should go find the Troll King." Unlike Papbek, . I still have yet to find Maradino's cave to finish the quest, but I did have some Tenebrium from the Tenebrium Mines. Unlike Papbek's solution, I was not able to just put some Tenebrium in the container and hand it in, but maybe after I kill the Troll King all will be well.

All in all, I'm very frustrated with this. I love this game to bits and I will continue playing it multiplayer with my friends and with mods, but if I can't get this hex editor option to work for me, I don't know if I'll be able to finish the main game. At least not for a while. I'll have to basically start Luculla over again - and boy oh boy did I hate those mines.