Demonic,

I don't think NWN was trying to be the next Diablo. Virtually nothing about it is like Diablo as it's not loot based or combat based so I disagree with your views. The original campaign was lousy but the mechanics of the game were executed well and it is probably one of the best AD&D games that actually works. For the better role-playing experience, you have the final expansion of the game which gives you a great campaign.

I brought NWN well after release when it released completely finished and with all of its expansions so I'm only rating the entire package here.

A friend of mine had to do quite some persuading to get me to try the expansions after the dreadful first game, but I finally did. They certainly improve, but they still ultimately suffer from the same basic problem: AD&D is a system designed and balanced for a group of roughly six characters. It was an appalling design decision to ignore that and none of the games ever truly get over it. Even Hordes, which is a pretty good game, falls foul of this problem.

While the loot system and combat system are not like Diablo (Obviously, as they are based on AD&D), the basic aesthetic of one character against the world is much closer to an ARPG than a proper party based D&D game. The comparison is not meant to be exact, but rather to be an indication of how badly the designers blundered in making NWN1.

The owners of the franchise must have realised it, too, as the far superior NWN2 is a proper party based game.

Please click the banner...