Someone (Dryhte?) asked for a mage guide and here it is! <img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" />
1. Don't let your STR and AGI become too low for your level or the game will be very hard. Don't bother with Constitution, you will have enough life via charms. INT is obvious.
2. Use daggers/short swords and a shield instead of a staff although it looks more mage-likely.
3. As I said raise your STR and AGI to a reasonable number, so that you can also use any equipment that you will find on your way. Don't be afraid to use heavy armor and shield. There is no casting failure. <img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif" alt="" />
4. Check traders frequently and buy ALL spell books. (i.e. I learned all 5 levels of "Elemental Hail" and "Poisonous Cloud" from spell books. <img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/delight.gif" alt="" />) I bought almost every spell book I find in shops. Except the ones which gives point to a skill that I already have 5 ranks. You can use save/load trick to get them books and charms available in their sale list.
5. Be sure that you carry some strength (for quick looting) and shadow (for quick running) potions with you always .
6. Use hit and run tactics (Obviously! <img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" />) and prefer wide areas to fight.
7. "Meteorstrike" is good enough to take you to level 30 by itself. But don't rely only on it and get a few ranks in "Freeze" and "Lightning". When you reach higher levels, you will need more powerful spells. Use "Hellspike" and "Divine Death" at high levels where monsters start to gain good resistances against your low level spells. ("Divine Death" is effective especially against Imps in Wastelands and "Hellspike" is good because monsters can't resist it.)
[color:"red"]*Thanks to Womble for reminding me "Hellspike" and "Divine Death". <img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/winkwink.gif" alt="" /> [/color]
8. Obtain a Frost weapon for intense combat. It is a life saver but don't use it always because it ruins the fun of game. Mine is "Wizard's Long Dagger of Cold" which I bought from Geoff.
9. Spend one or two points on "Elven Sight" or otherwise look for items with boost to sight. It will allow you to target enemies, even when they are out of your screen. This is effective especially when used along with auto-targeting spells such as "Lightning".
10. Spend at least a few skill points on "Lockpick" and "Telekinesis" (Also can be learned from spell books.) and be sure you steal everything you can but avoid losing reputation. Gold is important. (Both charm type and money type <img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif" alt="" />)
11. Charms are cool, use them. Charm your items according to their values. (i.e. Don't put a gold/silver charm in a ring with only one charm slot because you will probably find better rings and your gold/silver charm will be wasted.)
That's all for now. Any comments and suggestions are wellcome.
And here is the stats for my mage. He had just been the Divine One <img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/birthday.gif" alt="" /> <img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif" alt="" />.
5 rank skills: Meteorstrike, Lightning, Freeze, Poisonous Cloud, Elemental Hail, Restoration, Lockpick, Wisdom, Enchant Weapon(Must have!)
He has 19(!) skill points ready to be spent.
Last edited by Kaan; 25/04/03 12:14 PM.