Originally Posted by Stabbey

The Elder Scrolls games tend to have quite a few different player homes. Roleplaying in the Elder Scrolls games comes pretty naturally to me, I make one character and put them into a fixed role, they only do a couple faction quests (unlike some other players who try to do all factions with one character).

But yet, I've never really been into building a home and making it all fancy, even though there are lots of people who love doing that in those games.

Player homes and strongholds for me, tend to just be a place to dump stuff off that I don't want to be carrying at that moment. If there are shops there I might buy things. But I never bother going overboard and trying to decorate things just so (so that whenever you enter the cell, all your carefully placed things go flying all over and you cry).

My point is that it (player home) literally adds nothing of value or interest. TES has a tortured history and not in the good way. There are very few things we can learn from them past Morrowind and all the things we can are mistakes that we shouldn't repeat. If you want to build and decorate a home go play the Sims. I'm not riffing on the Sims, I actually love it and think it's a very unique experience. Strongholds at least can provide a way to simulate a large scale war from the point of view of a single character (yours).