Originally Posted by Chaotica
Please, please, be my guest state clearly your so-called basics

Already did a few posts ago.

come on, art can hardly be "rationalised". Neuroscience has started to work only few years ago about brain perception. Of course there are "rules" as I stated before but, and you said it yourself, rules evolved based on some games that pushed the limits and based on the technological evolution. One cannot define a general rule set in the stone !
so art IS subjective, we all have our own opinion about art.

Why do you think Beethoven, Michelangelo, Sartre, Nietzsche, Voltaire, Kafka etc etc are considered influential and geniuses? It wasn't a single person's subjective opinion, let me tell you.

so you're saying Fable is NOT a RPG... well well
and calling TES "hiking simulator" seriously dude, this is a personnal opinion, most of today's RPGs are open worlds... it is "almost" a standard for today's RPGs. Even for Larian's games, I mean have a look at the forum, people asked if they are open worlds, if there will be some area where we cannot go back later in the game and so on so on...

Even the wikipedia article for Fable states that it's an Arpg, though I consider that an oxymoron. So, yeah it isn't an RPG. Open world =\= Sandbox with no structure. And no, I don't get my "opinions" from wikipedia, I'm just saying that *even* wikipedia states that it isn't.

Last but not least, indeed if you really want to go back to the core definition of an RPG, we have to consider the paper old fashion RPGs which can be splited in many "kind" but the two main kind will be the RP oriented ones (Call of Cthulhu) based on scenarios where the narration is really important and the Game oriented ones (D&D) where the mecanics are somehow more important than the scenario.

We are talking about the specific video game genre Role-playing Game, which has a clear distinction and definition. It's a stupid and confusing name, but that's how it is.