Originally Posted by Acesahn

@Ayvah, Your trying to compare apples to oranges. Witcher 3 your playing as Geralt, not "your" character, he has his own set personality, back story and thoughts. In games like D:OS, BG1-2, NWN1-2, games that have a literal character creation option, the point is to make your own character, "your" being the key word here.

I understand this, but I doubt the narrative you'd like to craft around your lizardman will depend on details like the colour of your lizard's scales.

Gender selection is the most important thing. After that, there should be enough variety so that if you decide to play a party of four lizardwomen, they will all look distinct from each other (and from other lizardwomen you meet during the game).

After that, I really feel it's important to have good aesthetics rather than deeply customisable aesthetics. Characters in Original Sin 2 will not be disposable, like they are in The Sims or XCOM. Once you make a character, you're married to them for the entire game. Although I love having more options, I really feel that it's more important to have good options.

The concern I had with the character creator for Original Sin was that the heads didn't look that great. I feel this is why they felt the need to give us 2D portraits, which sucked because the portraits would match the custom character you'd made. The heads should look good, and they should be good enough to use directly in the portraits so that we don't lose our customisation (perhaps with a bit of filtering to make them look more 2D).