Anyway, developers have said to avoid too much speculation. And since they read the forums, I have the feeling they will understand the concern.

Yes, therefore it's important to discuss based on assumptions and be aware of just assuming where isn't or can't be certainty. So I understand your general concern. But Abbey said: 'It really depends on how may attribute points you get on level-up. In D:OS 1, you got 0.5 attribute points on level-up. I'm pretty sure that you have to be getting a lot more than that in D:OS 2. They certainly can't give you only 0.5 or 1 attribute point a level and expect players to actually use the Memory attribute.'
So, that's a valid point. Assumed there aren't significantly more attribute points in D:OS 2 investments in memory wouldn't really be attractive. If there are more points in D:OS 2 it's fine (in this aspect). We don't know. But it's worth mentioning I think. The developers will pick out what may be useful for them and worth to think about.

I can't say I dislike memory because I never really liked the idea that you could learn AND use everything. But that's just me and my D&D past.

Yeah, D:OS EE limited learning. Now the use is limited. The first way seems more 'plausible' to me, but that's not necessarily a point; it's more important if it works as part of a gameplay mechanic throughout the whole game and doesn't produce unintended effects (and if the effects are as intended and if they really should be intended). I'm curious how they will work that out; at the moment there are some open questions; probably there will be more information over the next weeks that might clarify things and dispel some concerns.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan