Originally Posted by Stabbey
Your idea is OBJECTIVELY less intuitive. "You get 10 Memory points, each point is one skill slot. (P.S. Skills typically take 2 Memory.)"

"One Memory point equals 1 skill slot, skills typically cost 1 Memory" is OBJECTIVELY more intuitive.

If you really think that, you have no idea what Elegant or Objectively means.

Elegance in design is about more than just making it simple to understand. It's also about consistent patterns.

Both solutions might make 1 point of memory a worthy investment, but yours is disgustingly crude in how it achieves it's goal.
As I mentioned, it breaks the pattern of a base value each stat has, and it alters the relative value a single point has compared to others.

The system we have already has a "P.S. Skills cost 1-3", that much doesn't change either way.
What I suggest is simply increase the granularity of it, so that 1 memory is a valid increment of investment.
What you suggest is altering the value in relation to other stats, so that the benefit increments line up with the current cost increments, as though they were set in stone.

Originally Posted by LordCrash
I have another suggestion.

This runs into a big problem though: eventually, skills of vastly different power will end up occupying the same amount of memory, leading to scenarios where there's an obvious best choice, and eliminating the cool mechanic of filling up your kit with smaller abilities.

A person with 12 slots won't be choosing between 4 meganukes or 12 combat-tricks, they'll be just able to equip all the meganukes they have, and still have spots for a few tricks.

It's essentially gutting the interesting parts of Memory as a mechanic.