Originally Posted by Skallewag
Originally Posted by Cylion
All I want is something like this: A) Kills 3 NPC's gets 100x3=300xp. B) Don't kill one NPC but talk your way out = 300xp. C) Talk your way out = 300xp, kill the 3 NPC's after = 0xp

That makes much better sense, sorry if I misunderstood your intentions.
I would however like there to be some different outcomes both in social effect and in XP. If you get 300XP whatever way you interact with a group of NPCs it suddenly erases part of the meaning in how you chose to interact with them.
300XP should be a reward for the most sucessfull social inteaction with them, and then if you fail you can still get the full amount by killing them but that has both the risk of draging other people into the fight, and the negative effect of losing acess to an NPC that might have some other quest in the future, or who might simlpy be a decent vendor.

Generally speaking, I believe that "Talk your way out" is used much more often for NPC's likely to usually be hostile, not vendors or quest-givers.

You're probably not going to find a lot of those usually-hostile encounters in the middle of a crowd of vendors or quest-givers. You seem to be suggesting that Larian deliberately move some vendors and quest-givers away from their usual spots into range of a potential fight just for the increased chance of punishing the player.

That seems to be a deliberately malicious approach to quest design which I don't think I agree with.

Choosing to fight versus not fight already has some different outcomes. Choosing to fight can grant you additional rewards in the form of items on the bodies, but at the potential risk of losing resources (Potions, arrows, grenades, resurrection scrolls). Winning a challenge saves you the fight, but you lose out on the loot.

And really the biggest concern that Cylion and others have is not "getting equal experience" for both combat and talking, but being able to exploit the system and get DOUBLE experience by talking an encounter out of fighting, then starting a fight deliberately and getting kill experience as well.