The troll with the marzipan is asking for a stop in personal attacks. I'll just let that sink in.

Way I see the situation is that experience should be given for anything one does, proportional to effort put in. So crafting should give a modicum of exp, and so should murder. So yes, choices one makes about what path they take in the game should result in different rewards, just not wildly different from each other, so that no one choice becomes the one choice that overshadows the others. Unless we're going for real-world realism. But this fantasy game is not, last I checked.
Not saying it must be implemented this way, just saying what currently makes most sense to me.

Now, if we're talking about personal experiences, I do kill the silent monks, but I usually do so to anything hostile that does not want to talk. In games. I also murder the whole Griff kitchen on basis of their being what they are. "Innocents" are left alive.
The result of that is that I do not end up underpowered. In fact, by how much exp it takes to go up in levels, it's hardly much of a difference.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.