I don't like durability. I don't understand the problem with 'streamlining' games. What do people like D:OS for? I can guarantee that no top 10 reason, or top 20.. or heck and reasons list at all include the 'durability' mechanic.

Broken loot sounds like the most interesting deterrent to bashing things. The simplest, remove from everything but weapons. If the entire mechanic exists so we don't use our swords why do I have to waste time repairing my gloves?
And it is a waste, anytime I spend in this game, not 1. customizing my character 2. getting into awesome battles or 3. following a good story... is a waste! Because those are the pillars the game is based on and repairing doesn't add anything.
If this was a survival game, you could make the argument. If this was an online RPG where economy mattered you could make the argument. As is, the devs want a way to make you explore and treat locked chests and doors as puzzles and not simply pinatas. The current mechanic doesn't work and is aggravating at best. The devs did not introduce repair mechanics for simulationist reasons.

So I suggest either removing repairs and introducing broken things out of items that would have been useful (likely, grenades, arrows, crafting items and rare or worse equipment) and now just sell for a bit and are junk.
Or they put durability entirely onto weapons and nothing and keep their current system.

PS. I still think they should just drop durability since it has never made me even think twice about bashing a chest thus far.
Broken items however CERTAINLY would make me think twice.