Originally Posted by HUcast

No matter how I look at it I really can't see that to be true, even if the battles were scripted well. The act 1 boss was amazing, but I feel that was because of the scripting and interesting terrain. It would have been good with or without the armor system, which in my opinion only served to make the first half of the fight worse.

In d1, when a fight starts, you had to choose. Do you buff first, because buffs were actually useful? Do you try to cc the enemy, or do you try to apply damage immediately? In divinity 2 buffs are useless, and armor blocks every single useful effect and the enemies have massive amounts of it. The only remaining option is to start the battle applying max damage.

This is of course not even touching on the 4 ap/turn limit imposed as well. But I think that one example shows my opinion on how the new armor system limits options, not expand them. RPGs have always been about risk management, there is always a chance for battles to go awry. That's what makes them dangerous and fun. Having to think of a backup to your backup in case your house of cards falls is fun.

Having 100% chances of everything and battles going the same way every time might prevent the frustration of some. But the people who this is made for are those who don't want to even think of what to do if things don't work out perfectly, and would rather reload a save. Those are not the kinds of people I want the game to appeal to, personally.

There are bigger issues and they all stem from Larian failing to capitalize on the advantage that comes from using the game system. They could have used consistency to create new and unique environment. Most of the combat can easily be replicated in even a GM mode with no effort. Just place units with their skills and stat and put them on the same side.

I remember when Enrage used to be useful as both a debuff and a buff. You used to be able to enrage enemies to grant your mages massive damage from the negative resist. They went and removed that because they wanted Enraged to be a damage booster with risk. Then they went and nerf it so it is no longer a good damage booster. This kind of situation is why certain tactic in the game now feels like trash and it's not because of the armor system.

The 2 to 4 AP itself could have been used to make more interesting skills. Armor piercing could have been on a 3 AP and 4 AP could be a game changer. Shame skills just deal more damage based on AP spent and get a large AoE on 3 or 4 AP.

The current armor is like moving from to a new and fancy but empty house. That's the problem. The house is currently empty because Larian forget to add the furniture. People just don't spot this and instead of demanding that furniture be added, they try to burn down the new house and demand Larian reopen the old one for them to live in.

Last edited by Ellezard; 01/10/17 04:22 PM.