*gasp* What personal attack? Slanderous! Where is the part which insulted you? That was clearly a compliment!

But that aside, that argument is flawed because it is too much of an oversimplification of an actual combat scenario. A real combat scenario has multiple possible enemies and multiple possible skills, and many other factors.

Should I wait to use Battle Stomp when there is a target with no PA, or do I use it to clear an annoying surface? Or should I use Phoenix Dive to get across the surface, making it unavailable for several more turns. Should I spend my last 2 AP on an attack or skill, or should I save them for Enrage next turn so I get an extra 2 AP of full crits to attack?

This especially comes into play if the character acting is a mage and not a melee fighter, because a mage's only real options to reach the point where they can land status effects are to spend their skills. Should they spend their AoE attacks on a single enemy with the weakest MA, or on multiple enemies grouped together with higher MA? What's the best way to position themselves for attacking enemies? What's the best way to position themselves for assisting allies? All those things are factors.

So in my opinion, pretending that they do not exist, and that the ONLY WAY a game can have strategy is by handing CC chance over to a die roll is disingenuous.