Originally Posted by Draco359
I am currently runing similar level up paterns for my battlemage and wayfarer.

Because I have a battlemage,I have to divert 8 points from Huntsman to Warfare (3),Polymorph (3), Aero(2) whilist keeping Pyro at 10.
Also I was wondering if you could expand your opinion on the notion that a good mage should have access to 2 elements that combo very well (like geo+pyro) to get the most damage.

Pyro/Geo are pretty much the only two schools that combo well with each other. Hydro/Aero did really well in the previous game, but they are much worse in this. It's basically about mixing effects to cause chain reactions or explosions. Toss a Geo spell that does earth damage and leaves oil such a Fossil Strike or Impalement, then hit them with a fire spell. The fire spell will deal its damage and also extra by igniting the oil, causing an explosion that deals damage and potentially burning the enemies over a few turns if it ended up doing enough damage to strip their magical armor. You can also ignite poison similarly.

Geo also has the added benefit of being able to either Slow or Cripple enemies as well, so you don't even really need to max it to see a real benefit. The debuffs and explosion damage are good enough that you can have something like 10 Pyro and only 5 in Geo if you wanted. To really deal damage, you need to max Pyromancy, but then you're screwed against fire resistant or immune enemies.

Resistances and elemental damage not scaling with weapons is the primary reason Mages aren't all that good other than from Summoning right now. They can deal damage, but they just don't deal good damage compared to what the physical classes are capable of.

Last edited by Sanctuary; 09/10/17 06:21 AM.