Originally Posted by Sordak
Circle the wagons folks.
Pausing every few microseconds is the pinnacle of strategic depth.

Just bitter now.

Btw, was there anything released that makes you think they are in fact making it an Action RPG?

Originally Posted by BillyYank
One of the things I like about RTwP is that, when it's done right, I can choose my level of micromanagement. The advanced party AI in the BGEEs is the closest I've found to my goal of actually playing a party leader. I've only played a little of DoS, and I haven't checked to see if there's any party automation available yet, since I'm still learning the combat system.

Exactly. A good Pause based system is made better by a game with really good scripting as well as variation and depth in zone/enemy capabilities. You could spend hours going through your parties' tactics and scripts for general as well as item-, enemy-, environmental- specific considerations based on where you are in the game.

This is a major question I have for Larian. D:OS was good, but they need to up the level for BG.

Originally Posted by Stahl33
The fact they have said they will show the combat (in my opinion) means they have already chosen a form, and knowing the significant value placed on the combat form, are not willing to say either way until they show what they have come up with.

So they've already chosen it, but are not yet done preparing a simple video example? Do they need somebody to help them with uploads?

Originally Posted by aerendhil
RTWP is not the problem.
D&D 2nd Ed. was.
Melee characters did lack tactical depth, with almost no other choice than hacking until the sword connects with the target (it changed a bit with high levels and ToB)
And there was not Attack of opportunity either.
There wasn't much positionnal gameplay (except for backstabbing may be)

I mean , take a look at Pathfinder : it is RTWP, and much more interresting that Baldur ever was (gameplay wise)

This is an interesting comment. My first thoughts are Icewind Dale 2, which used 3rd ed rules, and while it was a slightly tweaked engine/gamecode (which btw was lost when Interplay sold the license or something - that's why there's no IWD2EE) it played basically the exact same way as the original games. I mean there were Feats and in some cases, vastly different rules and considerations, but the output on screen was very familiar in terms of how you manipulated the UI, how you made decisions, and what it looked like on screen when you un-paused the action.

Point being, Larian could try and advance that concept - taking an updated ruleset and finding some way of incorporating it into a system that replicates how BG1 and BG2 looked and felt on screen, and it could work. Again though, can Larian manage that? We'll see I guess.