Originally Posted by kanisatha
Sure. 'Cause you get to decide what is D&D and who is a "true" D&D fan?

Oh, other people always get to decide who is the "true fan". I've been dismissed as a casual on multiple occasions by people who were variously a Johnny-come-lately, or whose approach to any situation wasn't so much role-playing as just "kill everything" and who criticised me for taking the time to explore instead of just rushing through it; but you can't win there either because unless you memorise every last word of every piece of text someone else will condemn you as an intellectual lightweight who has no commitment. Curiously, neither group seems to do much in the way of creative modding which is an area that seems to be a lot more accepting of whoever is trying to do whatever it is that they're doing without judgement nor presumptions.

I'd rather just be able to play the way I like, because the point is that it's a pastime, not some intellectual exercise that has the enjoyment potential of sandpapering my own eyeballs. But such a casual approach to gaming seems to upset some people.

J'aime le fromage.