Originally Posted by Kaspar
if one is going to take a high-handed, dismissive, and disrespectful attitude, and to imagine that one's own subjective opinions represent "insight", while others' opinions are "bad taste", well, then we're going to have problems.

I don't think that is how it was intended.
I once told someone in a store he had excellent taste in pens; he correctly interpreted that to mean I had the same brand/style pen, rather than I was actually passing judgement on his taste. I've also seen and used 'good taste' when referring to someone happening to wear the same type of shirt/hat/whatever as someone else.
It is no more dismissive or disrespectful than than calling someone a heathen if they cook steak well done. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sometimes those opinions are just 'wrong'.
For some reason there are also people have very strong opinions about pineapple on pizza. It is fine either way, and you're silly to make judgements about someone just because they like / don't like the opposite. Unless you like steak well done; then you're definitely a heathen.